Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Book Cadillac Detroit [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Book Cadillac Detroit [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AGR WOH
Arrow Westin Book Cadillac Detroit [Master Thread]

A little further down the road, the grand-dame Book-Cadillac (once a Sheraton, no less!) may fly a Westin flag, bringing a second *W name to downtown Detroit:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...606280422/1001

"Construction of the [455-room] Westin Book-Cadillac is expected to begin next month. A grand opening is anticipated in the summer of 2008. The Book-Cadillac, first opened in 1924, closed 22 years ago...

"The hotel part of the project is a bit more troublesome, [developer] Ferchill admitted, though market studies do show it could draw customers from Dearborn area hotels. 'I actually, candidly, am not as optimistic about the hotel,' he said...

"The renovation project will restore two of the hotel's grand ballrooms to their original state. A third ballroom, the largest in the city at 11,000 square feet, will be added to the north side of the hotel. The complex also will include a national chain steakhouse, a Detroit-oriented sports bar and coffeehouse on the street level."

Last edited by paytonc; Jul 19, 2006 at 11:17 pm Reason: added details
Old Jul 20, 2006, 1:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by paytonc
A little further down the road, the grand-dame Book-Cadillac (once a Sheraton, no less!) may fly a Westin flag, bringing a second *W name to downtown Detroit:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...606280422/1001

"Construction of the [455-room] Westin Book-Cadillac is expected to begin next month. A grand opening is anticipated in the summer of 2008. The Book-Cadillac, first opened in 1924, closed 22 years ago...

"The hotel part of the project is a bit more troublesome, [developer] Ferchill admitted, though market studies do show it could draw customers from Dearborn area hotels. 'I actually, candidly, am not as optimistic about the hotel,' he said...

"The renovation project will restore two of the hotel's grand ballrooms to their original state. A third ballroom, the largest in the city at 11,000 square feet, will be added to the north side of the hotel. The complex also will include a national chain steakhouse, a Detroit-oriented sports bar and coffeehouse on the street level."
Great news! It's nice to see old landmarks like this one to have a new life.
I wonder if the Westin Book-Cadillac is taking reservations for August 2008!
Old Aug 4, 2006, 10:49 am

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Westin Book Cadillac Detroit opens 10/1/2008 [Master Thread]

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060804/20060804005240.html?.v=1

Press Release Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.

Restored Grand Dame of Downtown Detroit to Become Westin Book-Cadillac Detroit Hotel
Friday August 4, 9:24 am ET
Landmark to anchor biggest downtown Detroit development project in almost 20 years

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 4, 2006--Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE: HOT - News) announced today that the venerable Book-Cadillac in downtown Detroit will operate under the Westin flag after undergoing a massive $180 million renovation. The Westin Book-Cadillac Detroit hotel, a four-star, full-service property, will also feature The Westin Book-Cadillac Detroit Residences, consisting of 67 luxury condos on the top eight floors of the hotel. The hotel/condominium development will be the first of its kind in Detroit and residents will enjoy most of the signature amenities available to hotel guests.

The Ferchill Group, a Cleveland-based real estate and development management company, began renovation on the 455-room, 33-story hotel project earlier this month with an anticipated grand opening date scheduled for Summer 2008.

"This is an historic moment in the revitalization of Detroit and Westin is thrilled to be part of it," said Sue Brush, Senior Vice President, Westin Hotels & Resorts. "We'll bring Westin's sophistication and signature services to this truly iconic property and do our part to accelerate Detroit's rebirth."

The Westin Book-Cadillac Detroit hotel is the newest addition to the Westin brand which is in the midst of its most robust growth period in the brand's 75 year history. Having signed more than 40 deals last year, and with more than 50 new hotels scheduled to open between now and 2009, the Westin brand is the fastest growing upper upscale hotel brand in the world. Parent company Starwood Hotels is aggressively growing its global footprint, having signed a record number of new hotel deals last year, and continuing to win more new upper, upper upscale and luxury projects than its competitors.

"This is a deal that couldn't have happened without the Westin flag and the support of the entire Starwood development group," remarked John Ferchill, Chairman/CEO of The Ferchill Group. "The hotel and residences will be unlike anything the City of Detroit has ever seen, and we look forward to working closely with Starwood to make this 'the' premier hotel not only in Detroit, but in the entire Midwest."

The 82-year old Italian renaissance-styled hotel enjoys colorful and historical significance. Built in 1924 by the Book Brothers, it became the tallest building in Detroit and tallest hotel in the world. It hosted a cadre of illuminaries including U.S. Presidents Harry S. Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, John Kennedy, actor Errol Flynn, and baseball stars Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams. After World War II, the property began a gradual decline and closed in 1986.

Plans call for elaborately restoring the property to its original splendor. At the same time incorporating services and products aligned with the new Westin brand positioning centered on renewal and offering guests the services, products and amenities that will help them rejuvenate, relax and restore their mind, body and spirit. Amenities include guest rooms with scenic views of the Detroit River and city skyline, a state-of-the-art fitness center, whirlpool and swimming pool, all designed to renew and recharge business and leisure guests alike. Also included are flat-screen televisions, and high-speed cable and wireless Internet access in each room, fine dining and 24-hour room service, a full-service concierge and valet parking. In keeping with the company's new brand identity, the Westin Book-Cadillac Detroit will be a smoke-free facility.

When completed, the convention hotel will offer 39,000 square feet of event and conference space, the largest in the area. The historic Grand and Italian Garden Ballrooms will both be fully restored while an additional, 11,000 square foot ballroom will be added. With seating for 1,000 it will be the largest ballroom in Detroit. Its location at Washington Boulevard and Michigan Avenue makes it convenient to the Convention Center, Riverwalk, and the city's celebrated sports arenas and ballparks. The Westin Book-Cadillac Detroit hotel has been listed on the National Registry of Historic Buildings and will be renovated according to National Park Service standards.

Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Thumbs up This could be cool

The Ol' Girl has some miles on her. A renovation is definitely in order.

Cool building. It looks like it has great potential. I love hotels like this that are returned to their former glory.

And for us Plats, there are some nice big suites to clamor over!

However, the standard room may well rival the W NY.

OK, enough, I'm done. . .
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:18 am
Suspended

This is a very good thing for the city, but, man are they in for a lot of work. I am all about history and restored splendor but sometimes you have to just tear it down and start over. I will definitely stay here when they get it ready.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
The Ol' Girl has some miles on her. A renovation is definitely in order.

Cool building. It looks like it has great potential. I love hotels like this that are returned to their former glory.

And for us Plats, there are some nice big suites to clamor over!

However, the standard room may well rival the W NY.

OK, enough, I'm done. . .
Interesting photos. Opening in 2008 seems ambitious -- wish them luck, though.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 3:08 pm
SST

This is great news for Westin, for Detroit, and for us. Downtown needs huge gobs of gentrification, I'd like a decent hotel in Detroit for a change, and Westin thinks they can make money on all of it. Three winners, huzzah.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Great news. It's hard to find a good hotel in Detroit--in the city. The Marriott is just terrible--and the reason I switched to Hilton!
Old Aug 5, 2006, 10:12 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Isn't the Poncatrain downtown also becoming a Sheraton?
Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:11 pm

I wish they'd put a *Wood in Grand Rapids.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:42 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, Marriott Gold.
It was fascinating to use the links in this post to find out more about this historic hotel. I sure hope that Starwood will really proceed with this project, and restore the Grande Dame.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 1:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
The website for the residences is up!

www.westinbookcadillacresidences.com
Old Mar 20, 2007, 6:39 pm

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
Restored Grand Dame of Detroit to Become Westin Book-Cadillac Detroit Hotel & Res.

Synopsis: The Book Cadillac in Detroit is being restored as a 445 room Westin property with an additional 8 floors including 67 residences, opening late '08.

Article posted here:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TRAVEL/03/20....ap/index.html

-- CaptainG
Old Jul 8, 2008, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The opening date of October 1, 2008, still appears good. Much uncertainty on rates is present.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../BIZ/807080338
Old Jul 8, 2008, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The opening date of October 1, 2008, still appears good. Much uncertainty on rates is present.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../BIZ/807080338
Exciting news. I am looking forward to a decent alternative for the Sheraton Riverside. ^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.