Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sydney: which hotel? 2007 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)

I'm debating between Sheraton on The Park and the Westin in Sydney as a Platinum. Westin Club Floor is going to be closed for renovation and they are offering breakfast in Mosaic restaurant, while my other option is the Club Floor at the Sheraton on The Park. I have never stayed at either property and the price is the same. Who has the better breakfast between the two?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 21, 2009 at 3:22 pm Reason: earlier thread is at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-preferred-guest/977467-sydney-hotel-pre-2007-master-thread.html
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:58 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
You're in luck.

The Sheraton has the better club lounge by far, but Mosaic offers a better breakfast than either hotel's club lounge.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
... and I love the architecture and the location of the Westin. I consider this hotel to be very special....
Old Jan 3, 2007, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I stayed at both hotels in October 06. I prefer the Westin. The club lounge at the Sheraton is a little nicer but the Westin is the better hotel. The architecture is indeed very nice at the Westin as mentioned by FlyingLawyer
Old Jan 3, 2007, 6:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Breakfast at Mosaic by FAR....
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:48 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Starwood Platinum, United Airlines Premier Exec
Points Use Dilemma - Sydney

Okay, sorry for the length of this question but here it goes.

I am currently Diamond with Hilton and Platinum with Starwood. However, my Platinum status is going to be downgraded to Gold in March of this year as I was unable to attain top tier in both in '06.

I have a confirmed GLON award stay scheduled at the Hilton Sydney in late May / Early June. I have been confirmed on the Club Lounge Floor with access to the lounge. One thing to note, I am ONLY staying 5 nights so the GLON is a little devalued to start (this is still better than taking 5 nights at 40,000 or 200,000 in total).

Here is my question, I noticed that Starwood is offering a cash and points promotion at the Sheraton on the Park that I can use. This would end up costing me 20,000 Starwood points and $300 USD's (not sure if I get hit with other taxes and fees). Also, unlike Hilton, Starwood does not provide stay or night credits for award stays. Last, since I will be GOLD my access to the Club / Exec Lounge may not occur at the Sheraton and my ability to get upgraded is decreased (I have emailed the hotel on those two matters).

So, which would you guys decide:

1) Hilton Sydney - 175,000 points: 5 nights: Guarenteed upgrade and access to Club Lounge (perk is the HHonors credit for 5 nights also). Last factor, I currently have ~450,000 Hilton Points in my balance.

2) Sheraton on the Park - 20,000 points and $300 USD's: 5 nights. Upgrade and lounge access is TBD. Last factor, I currently have ~35,000 *wood points in my balance (with 20+ planned stays upcoming in next 3 months though).

This is the second stop on my honeymoon so while the upgrade and lounge access may seem nitpicky it is of value to me as well as the overall 'quality' of the hotel and rooms. Thanks in advance for your help! I am leaning towards #2 but wanted to see what you all thought!

Illini1980

Last edited by illini1980; Feb 28, 2007 at 7:54 am
Old Mar 1, 2007, 6:20 am

Programs: SPG Plat; Hilton Silv; AA Plat; QF Gold;
Firstly, congratulations on your honeymoon - all the very best!!

Here are my thoughties...

The Hilton was renovated very recently, around 2 years ago, however the original building and shell is still the same. The rooms have been refurbished nicely, but are extremely extremely small - 1970's style with tiny windows. This includes the Exec Floor rooms. IMO, they should have demolished the building and started from scratch.

I've had a few service issues at the Hilton with previous stays. Nothing major, but you would expect better from a 5 star establishment. Some of the rooms also have original fixtures that were not replaced during the renovation (old toilets, baths, etc.) so look a bit tired and out of place amongst everything else.

The Hilton reminds me of a Sheraton, Westin and W all mixed together, trying to be 3 things at the same time, but somehow not achieving any.

If you go the Hilton option, request an upgrade to a Relaxation Suite. These are corner rooms, a lot larger, 3 TV's, DVD and featuring a spa bath overlooking East Sydney. Certainly the best of the bunch of rooms here.

The Sheraton, on the other hand, I love. It's a stones throw from the Hilton and overlooks Hyde Park. Spacious rooms, big black marble bathroom, fantastic buffet breakfasts, beautiful top floor pool and spa overlooking the city - it doesn't get much better than this. The hotel was renovated a few years ago, I think 2002, but is very well maintained.

If I were you, I would consider booking the Sheraton on a promotion: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/promot...egory=GENDRE_H

This will give you stay and night credits, rack up a few extra points, and the option of booking something a bit nicer than what your Cash and Points reservation would get you (City View). The Park View really is worth it, or if you want to splurge, a Terrace Suite. Definitely worth the extra $$ in my opinion, especially on a special occasion.

Sheraton wins hands down, in my opinion. Hope you have a great trip!!
Old Mar 1, 2007, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SnoozingWithStarwood
Sheraton wins hands down, in my opinion. Hope you have a great trip!!
I agree completely! I am currently staying at the Sheraton on the Park and the rooms are absolutely beautiful, particularly the gorgeous looking black marble bathrooms with gold and silver fixtures. Very large glassed-in (on two sides) shower stall with a VERY powerful spray and separate bathtub as well.

I booked the cheaper city view room but was upgraded upon request to a fantastic park view room at no charge because I am SPG Preferred Plus, one notch BELOW SPG Gold. You should have no problem being upgraded as an SPG Plat unless the hotel is sold out.

Now even though the Sheraton is better, what are you actually paying?

I value Hilton points at an average of 0.5 US cents each and SPG points at 2.0 cents each. It costs 10,000 SPG points for an SPG category 4 hotel (Sheraton on the Park), which is the same as 40,000 HH points for a Hilton category 6 hotel (Hilton Sydney). The ratio of 0.5/2.0 is exactly 1/4, same as the point differential.

Therefore, you are paying:

*** 175,000 * 0.005 = $875 for the Hilton, and
*** 20,000 * 0.02 + $300 = $700 for the Sheraton.

The Sheraton is the nicer of the two hotels, yet costs you $175 less. A real no brainer!

Last edited by DCBob; Mar 1, 2007 at 6:02 pm
Old Mar 1, 2007, 6:44 pm
Suspended

just got back from six days at the westin sydney. that is such a breathtaking hotel. and, the lounge is great.

if the westin isn't an option, i would go with the sheraton. the cash & points for this hotel is a smokin' deal if you can get it. i've never stayed at the sheraton because i love the westin so much but it is wonderfully located.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 8:08 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Starwood Platinum, United Airlines Premier Exec
Thanks much! I am awaiting word back from the Sheraton on the Park and pending exec lounge access then plan on changing over to them as I hear the hotel is nicer (outside of the exec lounge view at the Hilton).

Illini1980
Old Mar 2, 2007, 5:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by smat
I've basically paid about $30 US.

While the Westin and Sheraton may be more luxe hotels, they are in the midst of downtown, with lots of skyscrapers.....and frankly to me the appeal of Sydney is the harbour, so I'd rather be closer to the water....and the 4 Points fits that bill.
regarding your first point, you also paid in points.

regarding your second point, the 4P is basically a few blocks from the westin and the sydney. about a five minute walk. so, while the 4P is across the road from the darling harbor, it's not like the westin/sheraton are in another part of town.

and, the westin/sydney are much closer to the harbor with the opera house/main ferry hub (to get to the zoo, etc.).

i see your second point...but i just want readers to know that all three hotels are very close to one another.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
and, the westin/sydney are much closer to the harbor with the opera house/main ferry hub (to get to the zoo, etc.)
The 4P, Sheraton and Westin are all approx the same distance from Circular Quay with the Westin being marginally closer.

I believe you can also catch the ferry to the zoo at Darling Harbour (next to aquarium) which is opposite the 4P. I used to enjoy watching the ferries come and go from my room/suite at the 4P
Old Mar 2, 2007, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by illini1980
Thanks much! I am awaiting word back from the Sheraton on the Park and pending exec lounge access then plan on changing over to them as I hear the hotel is nicer (outside of the exec lounge view at the Hilton).

Illini1980
The rooftop view from the swimming pool area at the Sheration is equally breathtaking.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 2:31 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, HH Blue, SPG PLatinum
Sydney *wood Properties (MASTER THREAD)

Checked in very early 8am, customer service said she was amazed, the room was available! OF course it was a cityside level 11, only view was airconditioning units! Checked later at 3.30 in case of better room for Platinum, no suites and no parkside king, asked to see the parkside room, it was a small pokey room with one window and two small beds almost touching one eacher.

I called the plat line in Singapore, they couldn't help much, all suites and better rooms gone, in the end they gave me a corner cityside room which was quite big.

No free water, nothing, guess the cash and points booking had something to do with it.

I don't like the attitude of the Sydney Sheraton, find Westin and Four points better.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 3:04 am

It MAY just be full house. I always get a suite there and exec club access.

when its full its full!!!

You are lucky you got early checkin I have been there several times and also the WESTIN AND 4 PTS where I havent got a room till 4-5 pm.
I imagine you are in the lounge on the free internet sucking some chandon?? or g and t

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.