Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Shanghai [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2002, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Sheraton Shanghai [Master Thread]

A travel agent has booked us into the "Huating Sheraton Hotel Shanghai".

I can't find this on the Starwood web site and was wondering whether this is a "real" member or not. Any idea?

Also, if anyone has stayed there what were pluses/minuses?

Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2002, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
I don't believe this is part of the Starwood chain any longer. When the hotel opened as a Sheraton in 1986 I stayed there for almost a year. At that time it was on the perimeter of the city, not really close to anything of interest, certainly not the Pu Dong District or the Bund. Being the first international class hotel in the city, it drew a lot of attention - the glass elevators seen in the picture below drew a crowd of spectators every night. By this time, city expansion may have brought the hotel into a busier neighborhood. The room pictured on the web site below still has the 1986 decor (comfortable, clean, but not lavish); hopefully there have been renovations since that time or the hotel would certainly be outclassed by predecessors such as the St. Regis or Hyatt. The Hyatt is a five star hotel. The Hua Ting would have to be four.

http://www.planetholiday.com/Hotels/...and_Towers.asp

[This message has been edited by edsh (edited 03-19-2002).]

[This message has been edited by edsh (edited 03-20-2002).]
Old Mar 19, 2002, 11:28 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
i've never been to the specific property, but i am leaving for shanghai tomorrow and did some hotel research while planning my trip.

the hua ting reverted back to local management a few years ago... so no more relationship with starwood. my understanding is that while the hotel is still classified as "five stars," it can't compete with new properties like the hyatt, the st. regis, and the new four seasons. perhaps think great wall sheraton in beijing (1in the 1980s also the first international class hotel in that city) vs. the st. regis.

while the hotel is at the periphery of the city, shanghai only continues to expand. there is definitely a lot near the hotel (like shanghai stadium), but maybe not much for tourism... in any case, the subway stops right by the hotel.

[This message has been edited by dw (edited 03-19-2002).]
Old Mar 20, 2002, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
They have an indoor pool and health club. They also had a bowling alley although it isn't mentioned on the web site so not sure if it is still there.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, *wood Plat
Shanghai Sheraton - A smelly place

Had an interesting three night stay at the Shanghai Sheraton.

First - I am traveling with a business associate. I booked two rooms in my name as my associate but didn't want the nights or the stay and doesn't have a credit card. I intend to pay for his and my room charges. I informed the front desk at check- in. They informed me that the room has to be in his name with his SPG number. So we changed the name. I had my spouse call PLT desk and ask about it. They informed us that I'm allowed to pay and get credit for the charges on up to three rooms. They checked the reservation and made a note on my account that the rooms were both reserved in my name. Then they told me to tell the hotel to merge the charges into my number and that I should make sure I keep the folios in case I need to fax it in. Checked out today and after a lengthy discussion they finally merged the rooms and charged my credit card.

Now for the smelly part. - When I checked in (at 11PM Shanghai time)I was upgraded to a suite. That was very nice - however - the bathroom in the suite area had a sewage problem. There was nothing visible but it smelled. I was out of the room most of the first day. When I returned the suite reaked. I called the front desk. They sent someone up but he couldn't figure it out. It was now 10PM and I was exhausted and went to sleep. The next day the stench was still there. I called again, and again they couldn't figure it out. Then they did offer me another room, but I was tired and really didn't feel like moving. When I checked out this morning, I mentioned the smell again. I got a "We offered to move you."

Isn't that special. Changing rooms is a royal pain in the a**. Somehow the Sheraton promise is lost in Shanghai. Next time I'm staying at the Shanghai Westin!!!
Old Feb 2, 2005, 2:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I don't see how changing rooms is a big deal. They offered you a reasonable solution to your problem and you declined it. What were you expecting them to do?
Old Feb 2, 2005, 2:25 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
A reminder: the Sheraton Service Promise applies only to Sheraton-branded properties in the North American Division of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide.

So, yes...it is very much an unknown entity in Asia Pacific.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Cast your vote! Visit www.freddieawards.com and choose your favorite frequent travel programs today.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
A reminder: the Sheraton Service Promise applies only to Sheraton-branded properties in the North American Division of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide.
Didn't know that - It's good to know.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by izzik
I don't see how changing rooms is a big deal. They offered you a reasonable solution to your problem and you declined it. What were you expecting them to do?
Normally changing rooms isn't a big deal, but each time I got back to my room it was late in the evening. Add to that my body clock didn't adjust to the time change this trip and I it's now 4 days with no sleep the thought of changing rooms did not appeal to me. What was I expecting - for them to fix the problem.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 7:41 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
This hotel is a total dump. It should change to a 4pts.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by jkfb1
What was I expecting - for them to fix the problem.
You wanted them to fix a sewage problem while you STAYED in the same room. I'd certainly want to change rooms if they'd be opening up the pipes.

Besides, it's unlikely something could be done to "fix" that problem. What you could have/should have done is put a folded and damp face cloth over the drains in that bathroom (sink and tub). THat is likely the route that the stench is coming from.

Myself - I ALWAYS travel with a few very thin rubber 4" x 4" square pieces for this very reason. Just drop them on the drains, and smell doesn't enter. I use these sometimes in both Europe and Asia.

Aloha
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:29 am

[QUOTE=clublounger]
Myself - I ALWAYS travel with a few very thin rubber 4" x 4" square pieces for this very reason. Just drop them on the drains, and smell doesn't enter. I use these sometimes in both Europe and Asia.
/QUOTE]

Good to know.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 3:27 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
The hotel offered a reasonable solution which you declined. Seems like more of your problem then theirs.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 4:11 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
No upgrade, but only offered a room with a king bed, and a smoking one. Was told the hotel is sold out, but I can see plenty of rooms including club floor and suites online.

No breakfast in Executive Lounge.

No Platinum amenity offered, but will inquire about it at check out.

My room don't smell, but the hallway does.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
Glad to see this thread. I need to book 6 nights in Shanghai for early next year. Nice to be forewarned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.