Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE: W New York, The Court [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2003, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Arrow GONE: W New York, The Court [Master Thread]

Has anyone gotten a suite upgrade at W The Court, or any W in NYC for that matter, as only a lowly gold? I lost my plat status this year and sadly I have to resort to begging for those suite upgrades again. Anyone have any luck?
Old May 1, 2003, 9:08 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
just curious.. how do you "beg" for suite upgrades as a gold
Old May 1, 2003, 9:09 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
The W Court has a very good reputation for it's treatment of Golds and Plats. I was given a suite as a Gold, Waaaaaaaaay back when I was a Gold.... But people continue to talk about the good treatment received here.
Old May 1, 2003, 9:34 am

I've been staying at the Court on business 2 or three times a month since January. I'm currently Gold, and getting dangerously close to Plat. Heading back on Tuesday.

I have to say, I love this hotel. Without fail, they recognize status -- though I have never been upgraded to a suite. This past Monday, I checked in behind a Plat. He was treated like a king -- upgraded to a suite, asked immediately about his amenity, etc.

I was treated like a prince. I always ask for a specific room (I like the ones ending in 19, at the rear of the hotel), and they always give it to me. What's more, if you check in and don't like the room (for example, if you are given one of small spectacular rooms in the front of the hotel that are fairly tiny and have the TV on the desk, basically eliminating it as a work space) the front desk folks are absolutely delightful about moving you to a bigger room.
They take the Wherever, Whatever thing very seriously at this place.

In general, I'd say as a gold you most likely will not get upgraded, but they will give you the best regular room that's available. That might include bumping you up from a wonderful to a spectacular room, depending on what type of room you book.
Old May 1, 2003, 9:38 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by M.Leo:
In general, I'd say as a gold you most likely will not get upgraded, but they will give you the best regular room that's available. That might include bumping you up from a wonderful to a spectacular room, depending on what type of room you book.[/B]</font>
My stay will be on a weekend though, with lots of rooms open I am sure, to do whatever they want. Maybe they don't upgrade you because they have a lot of possibilities of selling the suites during the week or have a lots of plats that stay there for business??? I used to stay here frequently as a plat too, and always got a suite with a terrace. Maybe they will remember the business I gave them and treat me well, ha ha :-)
Old Jun 4, 2004, 1:02 pm

Recent Gold upgrades

What are your experiences in upgrading from Spectacular rooms at the Court? Also, are the Terrace Suites worth the points to upgrade into?
Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by wahoo99
My stay will be on a weekend though, with lots of rooms open I am sure, to do whatever they want. Maybe they don't upgrade you because they have a lot of possibilities of selling the suites during the week or have a lots of plats that stay there for business??? I used to stay here frequently as a plat too, and always got a suite with a terrace. Maybe they will remember the business I gave them and treat me well, ha ha :-)
If the last time you stayed you were a platinum you might stand a better chance. The opposite was true for us a couple of times. Aparently some hotels store your status from previous visits and do not update their system unless you bring it to their attention. For us this was a negative at two different hotels where we had previously stayed as gold and they did not realize we were platinum until it was brought to their attention. Maybe it will be a benefit for you.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 8:25 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
I just stayed my first night as a Gold at the W New York.
Got a normal room, with a large bathroom.
No mention of status, etc upon checkin. Though I have to say overall it was one of my more pleasant hotel experiences.
Competent front desk, well-maintained room, great lobby, personable concierge services, and the Whiskey Blue.
I will definitely stay there next time.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by hilton-gold
What are your experiences in upgrading from Spectacular rooms at the Court? Also, are the Terrace Suites worth the points to upgrade into?
I've had the terrace suite once...it was fantastic...big outdoor deck on the corner of 39th and Lex. Got room service and sat underneath the chrysler building for dinner. Thus far my favourite room in Manhattan...and I've seen a very large selection of starwood and Grand Hotel rooms. The living room is not that large, but for a special occasion, the terrace is pretty cool. If you do this, make sure to ask for the terrace suite. The other "wow" suite on that floor is significantly bigger, with plasma TVs in the living room, bedroom, and a flat screen in each of the two bathrooms. But the decor is horrid...potentially illegal in some states.

Anyway, I've always had good experiences at the Court. If you want a big room and don't want to roll the dice on an upgrade as a gold, go to the W Tuscany next door...the rooms are on average noticeably bigger.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boolean64
I've had the terrace suite once...it was fantastic...big outdoor deck on the corner of 39th and Lex. Got room service and sat underneath the chrysler building for dinner. Thus far my favourite room in Manhattan...and I've seen a very large selection of starwood and Grand Hotel rooms. The living room is not that large, but for a special occasion, the terrace is pretty cool. If you do this, make sure to ask for the terrace suite. The other "wow" suite on that floor is significantly bigger, with plasma TVs in the living room, bedroom, and a flat screen in each of the two bathrooms. But the decor is horrid...potentially illegal in some states.

Anyway, I've always had good experiences at the Court. If you want a big room and don't want to roll the dice on an upgrade as a gold, go to the W Tuscany next door...the rooms are on average noticeably bigger.
Gosh, this thread is a blast from the past. I just wanted to point out that there is more than one terrace suite. I have had two different ones at W the Court, one was on the corner (probably the one you are talking about) with access to the large terrace from the living room. The other was midway along the building, overlooking 39th st. This had a medium sized terrace that was accessed from the bedroom. Both were fantastic, but the terrace of the corner one was truly awesome. I had a party in my room both before and after a concert I went to, and about 20 of us partied comfortably on the terrace. W The Court definitely has some of the most spacious, stylish, and comfortable suites in NYC I have stayed in for the price considering you can typically get a suite for $300-$400 on the weekends. Try getting a suite with a terrace for that price at an Ian Schrager hotel.....
Old Jun 20, 2004, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT TIT
New platinum upgrade policy at W, the Court

This is my very first post in FT. Reluctantly, I have to start with a negative report. Checked into W, the Court yesterday and inquired about the possibility of getting a suite. I was told by the front desk agent that even though suites were available, they were no longer offered to platinum members for upgrade. "It is a new policy that started last week because we have been selling out the suites." I was disappointed. I had hoped to check out the suites here after reading other FTs' rave reviews. Later in the day, I called the front desk and spoke with a different agent to confirm another reservation at the Court in two weeks. I brought up the subject of this new policy and was told that there was no such policy, and suite upgrade was still offered based on availability at check in. Now, I was really annoyed. I felt that I had been misled. I can certainly understand the hotel managament's interest to maximize the revenue by withholding the suites. But, I don't like being lied to. I don't feel like playing this game again in two weeks when I return. So, I am canceling my reservation and moving to W union sqaure.

Not sure if this post is placed appropriately in the forum. Any advices for this newbie will be kindly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Beanstalk,

Welcome to Flyertalk. Many of us dislike when hotels seem to create their own terms of service. As Starwood Lurker says ...
I like to stay at the Sheraton Russell. They always have a suite upgrade available as a Platinum; as the majority of post would indicate.

Dan

Edited for a mis-read.

Last edited by dhammer53; Jun 23, 2004 at 1:44 pm
Old Jun 20, 2004, 3:02 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Smile suite upgrade at the court

Last September, I got upgraded to the suite above the one with the balcony which has been featured in those W ads - had a great time there.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 3:34 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Welcome to FT beanstalk!

The BEST thing to do is to contact the GENERAL MANAGER at the property while you are still there. Then send an email to starwood (see the sticky thread that shows the contact information) outlining the person who told you the new policy, etc. Finally, explain to the GM BEFORE YOU LEAVE why you're cancelling your future reservation. I am sure that he/she will try and make sure that you are reasonably satisfied.

I hope your next post is a better outcome.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 4:25 pm
Original Member

They are not at liberty to deviate from the SPG T&C. I would escalate it then and there as far as necessary. I would phone SPG and ask them to tell the hotel to upgrade you.

QL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.