Wiki Posts
Search

Employee Handbook Online

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2007, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Employee Handbook Online

Pretty usual corporate stuff, but some of the issues discussed on the forum (ie non-rev behavior on flights, etc) are here.

Interestingly, they forbid employees from identifying themselves as such in various chat forums:

"You are prohibited from identifying yourself as a US Airways employee when posting comments on the Internet or on other on−line services." Who would even care or track this stuff?

Here's the pdf link:

http://www.justplanenews.com/PDF/Handbook.pdf
Old Apr 1, 2007, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Most large companies have some sort of communication limitations on their employees. IANAL, but the rationale behind this is at least threefold: a) comments made in public by an employee may be misconstrued as representing the authoritative opinion or views of the company itself; b) proprietary, confidential, or otherwise sensitive corporate information may be released through such interactions; and c) discussion of specific corporate events or actions may constitute an admission that is subsequently admissible in legal proceedings.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 7:38 pm

Myself, and many other employees, are happy to offer our assistance/ advice on flyertalk, and I will continue to do so. We live in democratic societies, and are entitled to express our opinions on anything, no matter who we work for. Obviously, if an employee was making improper comments the airline, or any employer, would intervene. Myself and my colleagues offer posts in order to be helpful, and provided we are impartial it is nothing to do with our employer. We don't yet live in a Big Brother state!
Old Apr 1, 2007, 9:48 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by TPA us ff
"You are prohibited from identifying yourself as a US Airways employee when posting comments on the Internet or on other on−line services." Who would even care or track this stuff?
Too lazy to check the link, but that can't be right. How on Earth could US employees use email to communicate to people? If I ever get an email from a US employee where they identify themselves as such, say at customer service in reply to a complaint, can I get them fired for that?
Old Apr 1, 2007, 9:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by warbo
. . . Myself and my colleagues offer posts in order to be helpful. . .
And you and your colleagues are helpful -- and we very much appreciate the insights. ^
Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:29 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Every one can read my disclaimer as I hope I make it clear.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 4:50 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Myself, and many other employees, are happy to offer our assistance/ advice on flyertalk, and I will continue to do so. We live in democratic societies, and are entitled to express our opinions on anything, no matter who we work for. Obviously, if an employee was making improper comments the airline, or any employer, would intervene. Myself and my colleagues offer posts in order to be helpful, and provided we are impartial it is nothing to do with our employer. We don't yet live in a Big Brother state!
The fact that we live in democratic countries does not prohibit employers from requiring that their employees follow certain rules set by the company. It's not the government setting rules that you're being required to follow but don't; it's your employer.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 5:43 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
This is worthless without the things referenced in the document. I'd be particularly interested in the drug and alcohol policy.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
I'd be particularly interested in the drug and alcohol policy.
Page 51.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 1:51 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
This is worthless without the things referenced in the document. I'd be particularly interested in the drug and alcohol policy.
Can we skip the policy?
Old Apr 2, 2007, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
Can we skip the policy?
Unfortunately not...although I believe in the democratic reform of our nation and our assertions to express ourselves (with a disclaimer of course) but Mesa would not care what I comment here since it's nothing but the Messy truth!
Old Apr 2, 2007, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
IANAL, but not so much - companies, as private entities, can certainly impose reasonable speech limitations on their employees - it's the GOVERNMENT that is restrained from imposing speech limitations upon you.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 5:51 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
IANAL, but not so much - companies, as private entities, can certainly impose reasonable speech limitations on their employees - it's the GOVERNMENT that is restrained from imposing speech limitations upon you.
Precisely. My government couldn't care less if I reveal proprietary trade secrets of my workplace, but my employer certainly does. So much so that in so doing, I'd lose my job at once.

In fact, in my many years of employment, I've always had to sign an agreement with each employer that I am not to ever speak publicly (to a public group or press) about my company's business in any fashion whatever. They've made it clear that I have a focus on the job and it has never been public spokesperson.

I always cringe when I read the local manager of a nationally branded store is quoted in the press over a lawsuit or a robbery. I know as soon as the national office reads his/her comments in the local press, they'll jump down their throat.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 7:21 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Same here- I am barred from speaking to the press about my employer. I certainly wouldn't make postings on a website about it, identifying myself as an employee. Violating company policy is a good way to get fired. Warbo, you've identified yourself so much and in so many ways that if US HR finds out that you're posting, you should be pretty easy to identify.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Same here- I am barred from speaking to the press about my employer. I certainly wouldn't make postings on a website about it, identifying myself as an employee. Violating company policy is a good way to get fired. Warbo, you've identified yourself so much and in so many ways that if US HR finds out that you're posting, you should be pretty easy to identify.

And many years ago, an AA employee was fired for their postings on FT. A DL employee also lost their job if I remember correctly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.