Review of LO (Lot) C and comparison to UA and LH

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2007, 11:43 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Review of LO (Lot) C and comparison to UA and LH

Just flew the LO NEW C, and compared it to UA C and LH new C.

Lounge –
LO lounge in KRK is OK. Small, crowded, but there is plenty of free beer, wines, and spirits, some sandwiches, chocolates, nuts, chips, some instant soup, cappuccino machine, and PCs with Internet access. Hot spots are provided by Era, Plus, and Orange.
LH SEN lounge in MUC is nice with nice selection of foods, soup, beer on tap, wines and spirits. Showers are nice. There are also PCS with Internet access and wifi provided by T-mobile.
UA RCC is umm sad. No free booze, some soft drinks, prepackaged cheese and some apples. No showers, and wifi by T-mobile.

Lounge - LH hands down. All the amenities and features is great.

Pre departure –
LO. After getting to my seat, I was offered a pre departure drink. Choice of orange juice and water. Pillow and blanket was waiting at my seat. No menu waiting on the seat. Amenity kit passed out before meal was served.
LH. Usually offered orange juice, water, or champagne. Pillow and blanket at seat. Menu usually passed out before take off. Amenity kit waiting at the seat.
UA. Usually offered orange juice, water, or champagne. Pillow and blanket at seat. Menu usually passed out before take off, or already on the seat. Amenity kit waiting at seat

Pre departure - UA because usually the meal order is taken and you can slip on some socks and relax till the meal comes.

Amenity Kit –
LO. Small zip close with socks, toothbrush, very small toothpaste, ear plugs, eye shades, and a shoe horn
LH. Bag with socks, shades, toothbrush, very small toothpaste, ear plugs, small mints, and if I recall right some lotion
UA. Bag with socks, shades, toothbrush, big toothpaste, ear plugs, some body lotion and other cream, and some mints.

Amenity Kit - UA just cause the new bags come with real toothpaste to use. Other than that i do like LO's shoe horn given. Makes it a tad easier to put em on after a long flight.

Food –
LO. Menu was given after take off. Menu had a hard cover like a restaurant. Food was appetizer which consisted of a small salad with grapefruit, some pepper olive mix, hot bread and salmon. Portions were small, salad was crap (grapefruit was bigger than the salad). Main course was pork with potatoes and veggies. It was dry and bland. Cheese and crackers were served next with port. Port was excellent, cheese was very good, 3 different kinds. Dessert then was served which was a piece of chocolate cake and fruit plate. Before landing I was served which were some fresh mozzarella cheese, and some chicken shaswik. Overall I was disappointed with the food service. For all the cold foods, the plastic wrap was left on. There were real salt and pepper shakers and metal knives. Alcohol was impressive with great red wine (Leopard’s Leap 2004 Shiraz from South Africa) and others. Bottle of waters were handed out after dinner, and during dinner my glasses never were empty. Oh and nuts were given in a package. Cold. The coffee cup was a nice size mug.
LH. Its been a long while since I flew, but if I remember. Appetizer was salmon and a nice sized salad and bread, main course fillet was good cooked right, juicy with potatoes and veggies. Cheese was a nice selection. Port was OK, and dessert option looked good. Pre arrival I can’t remember. Alcohol was great, good selection, better than United. Coffee cup is small. Same as LO, glasses never got empty, excellent service.
UA. Usually warm nuts are served before the meal. For appetizers it usually is a nice size salad, fresh breads, some salmon (or in the recent cutback some shrimp). Main course is a nice fillet with potatoes and veggies. Then a choice between cheese and port and ice cream, but if you ask nicely, they usually give both. Cheeses are nothing special, port is OK. Ice cream is good. Coffee cup is small. Alcohol is nothing special. Same as LO, glasses never got empty, excellent service. Presentation is great, though no metal knives (heard though that changed) salt and pepper are in those packets. Food amount is great.

Food - Overall UA wins on this. I find the meal to be tasty and filling. I usually don't have time to eat before the flight and expect a nice meal on board, including if flying in C. Alcohol wise, I would award it to LOs for the nice variety of alcohol and nice wines. LH also have Johnny Walker, which I do enjoy, and also a great selection. UA's alcohol choices are just sad.

Seat -
LO. The new seats are really really nice and comfy. The are soft, softer than LH new C and also electronic. The seats are orange and blue. There is a 120V plug, a side cup holder, and also another tray that comes out in the middle. There is also a privacy screen. One thing that I found very interesting is that you can lower and raise the outer armrest, which it does change when you are going into the sleep mode. makes some difference when you are trying to sleep. No adjustable headrest.
LH. The new C class is also nice. comparable to LO's new C seats. But they are harder. Same thing with a privacy screen, automatic seats, etc. 120V plug also.
UA. The UA seats are still old style, with manual controls, and adjustable headrest. empower only.

Seats - LO wins on this for the new design and comfort. With the power plug, all the cup holders and the outer armrest that is adjustable, I found these seats to be very comfy. A lot more than LH's.

Cabin -
LO. The new cabin colors make the plane look dark. With the lights off, it seems very very dark. Might be good to some people, but I like the cabin to feel spacious, and not like I'm flying in a toothpaste bottle very very fast. They still got the projector in C which I think is pointless. They leave the flight map on till they play the movie in Y, which it then becomes. They should just leave the flight map on or just turn it off. Bins are the same as on a 767. The middle row has access to aisle. No middle seat.
LH. The bright colors really make the cabin feel nice and warm. I really like LH's cabin interior as it feels roomy. There is no projector in the front like LOs as each seat has a built in AVOD. Overall a comfy plane.
UA. the interior feels a bit drab with the color scheme. Each seat has a personal TV but nothing to talk about. There are middle seats in C on a 777 for instance which is just wrong.

Cabin - Overall I enjoy the LH cabin interior. During the day the sunlight fills the cabin making it feel nice and warm and spacious. At night it does get dark, so one can sleep.

TV -
LO. you are given a Archos AV 700 player. You plug it into the 120V plug in your seat and can watch it. the headphones given are crappy, and I would recommend using your own noise canceling ones. there is a huge selection of music, some videos, and games. No TV series on mine. It does have a little stand in the back so you can adjust it and watch it without holding. Nice screen and its size. One thing I noticed is when plugged in, it gave somewhat of a static discharge off when touched. you could feel it on the player's case, but thats the manufacturer's issue. Movies I had to choose included some as Anchorman, Pirates, Dr Dolittle 3, Terminal, and a few others. no flight map option (just on the overhead screen)
LH. The over 10" screen in C with the video on demand is just great. there is a huge selection of movies and songs to choose from. you can also pause it and rewind and fast forward. nothing to plug in, which does take up your power port. there are also games you can play. Just cool. also there is a flight map option too.
UA. Small TV that pops out. Whatever is playing you can watch. No pause feature or anything. there is a flight map though.

TV - LH hands down with the AVOD options. Just great.

Last edited by jason8612; Apr 14, 2007 at 8:05 am
Old Apr 2, 2007, 11:43 am
Original Poster

RETURN ORD-KRK

My return flight was actually really nice.

I did the comparison above, so here I'll just post the experience.

Checkin - Checkin was very easy. No problems. I went to the business class line and no problems checking in. Though the agent was unsure that I was star gold even though I showed my UA 1K card. Had to point out the Gold symbol. She just glanced at it and thought that card should be gold (like LH) but no problems after that. I did have 3 bags plus a large carryon. Bought an Ionic Breeze Then I had to give my luggage to the TSA and that was fine.
went to security no issues.

Lounge - ORD T5. There are a few lounges there. I got a invite to the contract lounge LO uses. Its nothing special. free booze, some chips and cookies and pretzels but thats about it. If your a *G theres also a SAS lounge farther down to the left ( security turn left and a good way down on the right) and that is nice with a kitchen thing with cold cuts and food. 2pm-10pm I think they are open. Theres also a Swiss lounge to to the right after security. But since usually the LO flight leaves late, by that time the Swiss is closed. Theres also other lounges like BA, Jal, Skyteam, etc

Boarding - What surprised me is they request C to board last. I don't mind as I like to sit in the lounge and not by the gate.

Pre departure - Same OJ or water. Though the amenity kits were waiting at the seats ^

Had plenty of time to finish my OJ and relax even when I boarded last. C was somewhat full. 11 pax.

Food - Menus given out and meal choice taken. I was impressed this time by the presentation. Food was presented nicer than before. The salad and other meals were a tad larger and my beef was nice and moist, not dry like before. a lot better IMO ^ Also they did a fresh roll service 3 times. And all 3 times they were hot ^^

Booze - Great as before. I really recommend the Leopard's Leap 2004 Shiraz from South Africa.

Service - The FAs kept checking to make sure everything was fine. Service was great. I like how they service the refills. They use a silver small tray with a cloth napkin and serve it to you.

TV - My first Archos player I got had an issue. It kept turning off after 5min or so. Got a new one. I expected the same movies, but actually it was totally different! There were all new movies incl the Departed and also some TV shows and new music videos ^

Duty Free - Prices are good, but they didn't have any Absolut But they did have Finlandia To compare a 1L of Finlandia plain is 36PLN.

Sleep - Sleeping in the new C seats are comfy. I really enjoyed them. I like the top metal bar so I can pull myself up. I also did find out that you can kinda adjust the headrests ^

Breakfast - eggs, yogurt, and fresh fruit. Very nice and I wasn't too hungry. But nice. Fresh rolls served too ^

Overall I was VERY impressed and honestly didn't expect such nice service after my outbound, including the food. If it wasn't the problem with the EQM with the B fare I would really consider flying LO more!

I don't know if I'm missing anything more. Let me know and Ill add it in here!

Last edited by jason8612; Apr 14, 2007 at 8:46 am
Old Apr 2, 2007, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Booking tickets -
LO. I always book into B fare to upgrade, so booking it on LO wasn't too difficult. I did get a confirmation number, though had to be on hold for over 30min to book the ticket. then I found out that they spell my last name wrong. how can a Polish person spell a Polish last name wrong!?! After a few more calls their agents are useless. I had to physically go to the ticketing office, have them manually change my spelling of my last name to get the ticket done. total time spent was well over 5hrs booking this ticket. Another issue is the fare LO uses, you cannot code share. I wanted to fly LH or UA back, and if I did that, my outbound would price into a full Y which would make the ticket well over 3000USD. I paid roughly about 1300USD for my ticket w/
taxes
UA/LH. I usually call up the elite UA line, never wait for a ring, the agent has no problems setting up my ticket on my routing. No problems flying UA one way then LH on the return. Never had a spelling error, never had any other issues. Even as a general member in the beginning, there was no problems getting my ticket even if I got transferred to India.

booking tickets- UA/LH hands down. It was a royal pain to set up the LO tickets.

Reconfirmation -
LO. you are required to call up and confirm your flight. Thats a pain to do. there is a email system also, but it didn't work for my ticket. So I had to call up, be on hold for 20min or more just to tell em I'm flying.
UA/LH. They don't have this

reconfirmation - UA and LH don't do this crap, so I have to go with them.

OVERALL - Overall, I did enjoy LO's new seat very much. there food needs some work on the outbound, but I really did enjoy the return meals and their ticketing is just horrible (which can vary person to person). If I wasn't in a dilemma with my miles with UA being my FF (where flying UA and LH gives me 150% EQM for B plus 100% bonus over the pond and LO does not) I might consider flying them more. For family members who like to get to point A to B I would recommend LO. their flight from USA leaves late at night, so they can still get in a days of work, and arrive into Poland without any change in planes or any problems. Service was great.

PHOTOS!!
The Seat - This shows from the right side rows 2 and 3 of the LO C

Legroom - Shows in row 2 the legroom. There is plenty of space

The seat - A top photo of the seat next to me. you can see the controls are in the middle and all the options it does.

Middle and under seat storage space - Shows the seat in front of you storage and in the middle there are those small storage bins. One thing is if you store something in front your footrest might not go down when you go to sleep mode. Seat needs all the space.

Seat Reclined - The seat when its reclined. not a fully flat bed, but felt more than LH

cabin overhead screen - Kinda crappy shot of the overhead screen.

Appetizer - the appetizer. notice the real salt/pepper shakers.

Cheese - The cheese and crackers. Cheese was good. Needed some grapes

The dessert - yummy cake. some fruits

Tea - I was impressed that it was a nice large tea mug. They also had a wide selection of teas

Entertainment - The Archos player
and again

Last edited by jason8612; May 8, 2007 at 3:40 pm
Old Apr 2, 2007, 2:31 pm

Thanks Jason,
Glad you had a great experience. My trips always seem to be better when I'm comming from Poland to the USA.
-LOTPolish

Last edited by LOTPolish; Apr 14, 2007 at 9:42 am
Old Apr 9, 2007, 12:05 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Were you in the new LO flat sleepers? they upgraded 4 of their 5 767-300's. Don't know why they left 1 alone. They also left alone their 2 767-200's, so the C seats in those 3 aircraft are the recliner style C seats. Not horrible, but compared to the new ones, less desirable.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

yup all new C class
Old Apr 13, 2007, 4:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
Thank you for your post Jason.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Ill be updating the return flight with detailed information and adding some photos tomorrow hopefully. The return was just great!
Old Apr 14, 2007, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

OK
Added the photos and my return flight info
Old Jun 10, 2007, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
Originally Posted by jason8612
return flight info
Anybody know if the ORD-KRK flight is always in the new seats?

Last edited by nor4; Jun 11, 2007 at 7:39 am Reason: Change ORK to ORD
Old Jun 10, 2007, 6:56 pm

Programs: M&M SEN
Originally Posted by PHL
they upgraded 4 of their 5 767-300's. Don't know why they left 1 alone. They also left alone their 2 767-200's .
Is this still true as of today June 10th ? I'll fly EWR-WAW-MUC on 763 and MUC-WAW-EWR 762 begin of July ... certainly, I would prefer new C-seats ...
Old Jun 10, 2007, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nor4
Anybody know if the ORK-KRK flight is always in the new seats?
should be
Old Jun 10, 2007, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Interflug
Is this still true as of today June 10th ? I'll fly EWR-WAW-MUC on 763 and MUC-WAW-EWR 762 begin of July ... certainly, I would prefer new C-seats ...
from what I heard. they rented out the last 5th plane, or kept it as a spare in case of emergency, though also from what I heard, it has a tendency to only come up on the EWR-WAW route.... It should be the new C, unless something happens in the original plane.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by nor4
Anybody know if the ORK-KRK flight is always in the new seats?
Hi nor4,
Chicago to Krakow is almost always the new business class unless an aircraft substitution to a 762 occurs. LOT always tries to put the new seats on the ORD-WAW/KRK and JFK/EWR-WAW routes.
-LOTPolish
Old Jun 14, 2007, 2:56 pm

Location: New York - Delta Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the report and pictures. I will be flying JFK-WAW C Class in July and was having a difficullt time getting details on the new Biz offering. The LOT web site is very light on pictures or details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.