Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Comments: Don't Count OMNI Posts In Member Post Counts (Motion Failed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2007, 3:13 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

Moved by Dovster and seconded by Cholula:

1. Posts in the OMNI forum will not count toward any member's post tally and this shall be made retroactive to the beginning of Omni.

2. Any person Omni-enabled when and if this vote is passed will be allowed to continue to post on Omni even if this motion reduces his post count to below the 180-post minimum.

This poll will close on Apr 19, 07 at 5:01 pm
Old Apr 5, 2007, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Those proposals seem reasonable to me, with the caveat that if there were long-term members who would be adversely impacted by those changes on other sections of the site where they have periodically participated in the past (such as Coupon Connection), that consideration be given to keeping them eligible for those sections if they so request. Not so much for the person with an average of 1000 OMNI and 10 Coupon Connection posts per year for the last 2 years, but for the hypothetical person with 10 OMNI, 20 travel, and 5 Coupon Connection posts per annum of the last 5 years. And I realize that OMNI may not count for Coupon Connection eligibility, so that I am using it only as an example for any areas of the site which may be restricted based in part on post counts.

I would also be in favor of the proposals if the second one grandfathered in people only for a limited period, say 1 year.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 7:47 pm
Suspended

I don't care if they count or not, but retroactive is a bit dumb IMO.

Set the rules going forward, going backward, why?
Old Apr 5, 2007, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MapleLeaf

Playing devil's advocate here...

Why do you believe retroactive is a bit dumb? If they count, they count past & present - if they don't count, they don't count past & present.

Why not have them retroactively removed?
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Spiff

1. Posts in the OMNI forum will not count toward any member's post tally and this shall be made retroactive to the beginning of Omni.
Well done. ^
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Is there a way to tell what percent of your posts are in OMNI? I'm guessing less than 10-15% of mine, so go ahead and take the posts away.

I saw a post this week that someone got 10,000 posts by playing an OMNI game. I'm fine with taking away posts from someone whose primary forum is playing games in OMNI, and not one that deals with points and miles. I don't think we should have FT Evangelists who get the majority of their posts playing games in OMNI (and short of not counting those posts, don't know how else you would deal with that).
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:44 pm

2. Any person Omni-enabled when and if this vote is passed will be allowed to continue to post on Omni even if this motion reduces his post count to below the 180-post minimum.
Do we actually have posters that have OMNI access that don't have 180 other posts somewhere else on FT (even before the 180 post access was enacted a few years back)?
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat

MapleLeaf, those who asked to have this motion passed had only one real argument: that counting Omni posts is misleading as regards the travel-knowledge of the posters. Maybe that is right, maybe that is wrong, but if it right it certainly makes absolutely no sense to give credit for a "Joe will be the next person" post made yesterday but not one made tomorrow.

I really don't know how many Omni posts I have but I would not be in the least surprised to see that over half my post count disappears if this passes. I will not be bothered by that in the least.

Originally Posted by tom911
Do we actually have posters that have OMNI access that don't have 180 other posts somewhere else on FT (even before the 180 post access was enacted a few years back)?
Yes, there are 652 people who are currently Omni-enabled who would have less than 180 posts if their Omni posts aren't counted. The second paragraph of this motion guarantees that they will have the right to continue posting on Omni.

TRRed, it is my understanding that if this passes it will not remove eligibility for any person who is currently allowed to post on any forum. If I am wrong about that, I will immediately introduce a new motion restoring their eligibility.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I think extraordinarily clever posts on OMNI should count, however.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'm all for having Omni posts not count at all. Not today, not yesterday. This is just an off the cuff assessment, but I find that some of the Evangelists who have only a year or two of time in on FT, continuously put up filler posts. I'm all for quality over quantity.

While I do post some inane Omni posts myself, I wouldn't mind in the least to having these taken out of my post count. This is, after all, FlyerTalk, and not OmniTalk.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
Yes, there are 652 people who are currently Omni-enabled who would have less than 180 posts if their Omni posts aren't counted.
Surely some of those are inactive screen names though, from before the changeover requiring the 180 posts?
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Surely some of those are inactive screen names though, from before the changeover requiring the 180 posts?

Some yes, but actually a surprisingly low number. Of those 652, nearly 600 have posted within the past two years and most of those 600 have posted since January 07.

But the number is not really the point. Many FTers get great pleasure from posting in Omni. I don't want to take that away from even one of them simply because we decided not to count Omni posts.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:44 pm
Community Director Emerita

I would like to see this change.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 1:05 am
Suspended

Is there a way to tell what percent of your posts are in OMNI? I'm guessing less than 10-15% of mine, so go ahead and take the posts away.
Overall I am not sure. Initially I was 98% non-OMNI, now I tend to be more OMNI than not... the forums I frequent don't need as much input so I don't need to comment as much. If OMNI posts were taken away, I would probably lose 20% of my overall posts; not a huge deal since this is only an IBB.

I can't help but wonder why this is coming up now? Before the posts in OMNI were counted partly to help FT in its IBB standings, from that one can deduce that now FT has been sold, standings matter not so why not start stripping away stuff.

If you were to have said 2 years ago, or 5 years ago OMNI posts don't count, big deal... them were the rules. If you say today they don't count going forward, big deal... them are the rules. To now say we are changing things back to the beginning of time, that makes no sense.

Either way I will contribute, or not, based on what is needed in any forum I check.

Oh yeah, I want to comment that I agree that it is a misleading moniker to have someone an FT Evangelist who has been on 1 year and has the overwhelming majority of their posts in OMNI. They aren't FT at all, they are OMNI. How many people does this actually apply to?
Old Apr 6, 2007, 1:14 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I saw a post this week that someone got 10,000 posts by playing an OMNI game. I'm fine with taking away posts from someone whose primary forum is playing games in OMNI, and not one that deals with points and miles. I don't think we should have FT Evangelists who get the majority of their posts playing games in OMNI (and short of not counting those posts, don't know how else you would deal with that).
I concur since this is, after all, FlyerTalk, not OmniTalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.