Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report - '07 Jeep Wrangler

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2007, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Ride Report - '07 Jeep Wrangler

Landed at DFW for a weekend trip to Austin, and noticed a few of these in the lot. Something looked different though (I've had Wranglers before from DFW last year, when I rented regularly there), and I soon realized the Jeep has actually been redesigned. I ended up getting one of the 4WD X models as a C upgrade... ^

http://www.jeep.com/en/wranglers/

From the Jeep website, this specific model had optional A/C, Sirius and an automatic transmission, for a grand total of $20,865.

Powertrain: After decades of using the venerable 4.0L inline-six derived from AMC, the newest Wrangler gets a new engine -- Chrysler's 3.8L pushrod V6. With 202 hp and 237 ft-lb of torque, the new Wrangler powerplant doesn't feel like it has more grunt (due to the increased weight), but it shows more refinement. The four-speed automatic is responsive in shifts and is adequately smooth. Fuel economy is an EPA-estimated 16/19 mpg city/highway, and heavy highway driving seemed to match those figures.

Ride/Handling: Still a trail machine first and foremost, the Wrangler remains less than friendly on-road. Steering is improved in response, but is still light and fairly numb. Handling is ponderous and body roll is significant. However, overall driving dynamics are noticeably improved over the previous model. And while the ride remains bouncy, road/wind noise is much better controlled, even with the soft-top. Stability control is a nice touch and worked well in the rain, without being intrusive. Brake feel and performance is below-average compared to other SUVs.

Interior: To say the Wrangler's interior is spartan is an understatement, as materials feel and tactile quality weren't obviously high on the list -- but everything feels solid and ergonomics are generally executed well. Front-seat space and seat comfort is good, and the rear seat is surprisingly roomy for two passengers, although entry-and-exit into the rear is a highly effective means of torture. Cargo space is somewhat small, and hard-to-access with the Wrangler's swing-out tailgate.

Design: The exterior design of the Wrangler is clearly evolutionary, and it works well. Visibility is never a problem, and the fold-down windshield (and removable doors) are still there. Inside, the design is slightly more modern, although some industrial-theme touches or other more unique design elements would be appreciated. Gauges and controls are standard DaimlerChrysler issue and are easy-to-decipher.

Features: Don't expect any power convenience features, as mirrors, door locks and windows are all manually-controlled. A/C and a CD-player with factory Sirius were included, however.

Value: The Wrangler was classed as a V, which likely is a special Fun Collection class. It's horrible to drive on-road and with Hertz's rental policy, forbidden to drive off-road -- and yet, it was hard not to like the Wrangler. Lacking many modern amenities like keyless entry and any semblance of handling might be annoying at first, but the visceral back-to-basics experience in return was appreciated.

To sum it up:

The Good
Unmatched off-road capabilities
Improved on-road driving dynamics
Top-down motoring puts the "Fun" in Fun Collection

The Bad
Scarce cargo room
Awkward rear-seat access
Still not very capable on-road
Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:00 am

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Wish Hertz rented the upgraded models. They do have power windows, lock and mirrors. The 4 door model is quite nice. Nice cargo space, holds 4/5 people comfortably. The 3 piece hard top is a great new thing too!

I never understand why they rent these things in more than a few markets, like HI, MIA, SAN, etc! Austin is not one of them!

It is a shame the 4.0L is gone That was one of the best engines the world had ever seen! The family and I have had several Jeeps with 4.0L engines, 6 of them to be exact. All went over 200K without any issues. One went 500K, before it was just time to say goodbye!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.