Women parking spots

Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Women parking spots

While I am not a big fan of seperating everything by gender, I DO appreciate the women's reserved parking spots I see in hotel and park houses in Bavaria and Austria.

When I pull into the garage at night under the hotel, it is nice not to have to drive around and around and find a few open spots in the darkest corners.

Is this common anywhere else? In North America I see 'mother and baby' type parking in some large parking lots for shops. I suppose that of course this could become a little crazy with 'women', 'mother and baby', 'new mother', 'mother with children' spots and all others relegated to the far corners of the lot.....

But again, I DO appreciate the close in spots in a dark garage
Old Apr 10, 2007, 6:50 pm

As far as I know, this is not done at all in the US. Even though I travel to Germany frequently, I saw women-only spots for the first time last fall (in Bavaria and Swabia) and was so gobsmacked I took pictures! They didn't turn out, of course, since it was a dark garage :-).
Old Apr 10, 2007, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by exbayern
I suppose that of course this could become a little crazy with 'women', 'mother and baby', 'new mother', 'mother with children' spots and all others relegated to the far corners of the lot.....
they have those at meijer's in michigan, but not meijer's in illinois.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 1:22 pm

I can't say I'm a big fan of the "stork" parking spots, as a friend in the mall industry calls them.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Never heard of them before and don't generally think of them as a good idea. I don't want special treatment nor do I believe in it for others
Old Apr 15, 2007, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by megan
I can't say I'm a big fan of the "stork" parking spots, as a friend in the mall industry calls them.
The stork parking spots really annoy me, especially because at what point is someone no longer a new mother?
Old Apr 15, 2007, 5:00 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I first noticed the "space reserved for expectant mothers" at the Westfield Century City Mall. At the time, I was on crutches and was looking for a handicapped spot (I had a placard). I could find no handicapped spots anywhere. It isn't that they were occupied; just apparently non-existent. I used the expectant spot as it was right next to the elevator.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA GfL
My Shop-Rite has the expectant mother parking spot. I think the whole thing is pretty ridiculous. I figure I can just go ahead and park there anyway, because who's to say I'm not an expectant mother, even if I don't look like one? I could be three months pregnant! (Or just really lazy!)
Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:03 pm

Programs: NW Gold, United Premier, Hertz 5 Star, Priority Club PLT, Hilton Gold
As a guy, I love the stork parking spot. I always park there. it's always empty. It's only a suggestion not the law.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 5:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
As a guy, I love the stork parking spot. I always park there. it's always empty. It's only a suggestion not the law.
And who's to say you aren't on an emergency pickles and ice cream run?
Old Apr 18, 2007, 6:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by artgeek
And who's to say you aren't on an emergency pickles and ice cream run?
I want to know if new fathers, especially when they have the children with them, can park there... Aren't we being sexist by saying, "new and expectant mothers?"
Old Apr 18, 2007, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
The stork parking spots really annoy me, especially because at what point is someone no longer a new mother?

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ . It annoys the heck out of me. They take up at least 8 spaces at my local supermarket.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kipper
I want to know if new fathers, especially when they have the children with them, can park there... Aren't we being sexist by saying, "new and expectant mothers?"
I agree - hence my comment about having all these 'special' spots, and averaged men being relegated to the far corners of the lot!

there are a LOT of 'new mother', 'expectant mother', 'mother with children' spots in one nearby parking lot. Young single female parking is quite far from the door (not that I mind the walk - it just irks me that at least three rows have more than 1/2 the stalls taken up with mother spots - and accessible spots are only 3 or 4 in total )

Going back to my original question - the 'women' spots are the one which I DO appreciate - they are often in dark and scary garages. The one in Munich under Hertie by the train station is where I appreciate it most. That's one garage which creeps me out, and I like the well lit spots on the entry levels.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 9:40 pm
Suspended

I DO appreciate the women's reserved parking spots

HMMMM! Is this what we call 'SELECTIVE EQUALITY'? What total B.S.!

Why should women be afforded more security than men? We're just as likely to be assaulted/robbed, etc. as women are.

Women who want their quality with qualifications such as this are just too much.

No Way.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 9:49 pm

Going back to my original question - the 'women' spots are the one which I DO appreciate - they are often in dark and scary garages. The one in Munich under Hertie by the train station is where I appreciate it most. That's one garage which creeps me out, and I like the well lit spots on the entry levels.
Whoo - my brain just kicked into gear on this thread. You've hit on the solution here - if the garage is "dark and scary", the answer is *not* to create a few not-scary spaces for a part of the population assumed to be more chicken than the rest, the answer is to make the entire garage not dark and scary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.