Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ISP Airport to Manhattan - Quickest/Cheapest Way

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2007, 2:21 am
Original Poster

ISP Airport to Manhattan - Quickest/Cheapest Way

Starting to have buyer's remorse on what I thought was really cheap tix to NY. So I'll be flying in 5/26 and leaving 5/29 from Islip MacArthur Airport. We booked our stay at the Roosevelt Hotel in MTW. Can someone suggest what would be the cheapest/fastest way to get from one to the other?

Also, this is my first time going to NY!!! (So excited!)

Research I've done so far shows that it'll be a very long ride or it'll be very expensive and long. The options I've thought of so far are:

1. Ronkonkoma to Penn Station on the LIRR.
2. Driving to somewhere near a MetroCard station in Long Island so I can buy one of those Unlimited Fare cards.

My problem is #2, in that I wouldn't know where to leave the car (free hopefully), traffic, or if the idea even seems reasonable. BTW, the flight should be in around 1 PM. I would appreciate any suggestions. TIA!
Old Apr 14, 2007, 7:01 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by douflaginc
Starting to have buyer's remorse on what I thought was really cheap tix to NY. So I'll be flying in 5/26 and leaving 5/29 from Islip MacArthur Airport. We booked our stay at the Roosevelt Hotel in MTW. Can someone suggest what would be the cheapest/fastest way to get from one to the other?

Research I've done so far shows that it'll be a very long ride or it'll be very expensive and long. The options I've thought of so far are:

2. Driving to somewhere near a MetroCard station in Long Island so I can buy one of those Unlimited Fare cards.

My problem is #2, in that I wouldn't know where to leave the car (free hopefully), traffic, or if the idea even seems reasonable. BTW, the flight should be in around 1 PM. I would appreciate any suggestions. TIA!
LIRR is probably the most inexpensive method, and you can take a taxi from ISP to the LIRR station. You can probably buy the MetroCard at the Ronkonkoma station.

When you refer to leaving your car somewhere for free, what car do you mean? I didn't see reference to renting a car unless your option #2 means that you would rent a car and then try to find a metro card, then drive into NYC and park.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Go to www.macarthurairport .com to check out available ground transportation options. There is both taxi and local bus (route S57) service between ISP and the LIRR Ronkonkoma station. The bus does NOT accept Metrocard, so exact fare will be required. Be sure to check out the LIRR Ronkonkoma schedule at www.mta.info, as there may only be one train an hour at the times you are traveling. From Penn Station, the Roosevelt is a short taxi or bus ride (route M4 or Q32, both of which load on 32nd Street, just east of the Penn Station 7th Avenue exit) away. You can purchase either pay-per-ride or unlimited ride Metrocards at the subway entrances that are located within Penn Station.

The only other option you might want to explore is a one-day, one way car rental from ISP to Manhattan. All the majors have locations in midtown, with Avis and Budget being closest to the Roosevelt. Expect to use about 3 gallons of gas for the trip, plus a $4.50 toll for the Queens-Midtown Tunnel.

Enjoy your visit!

Last edited by guv1976; Apr 14, 2007 at 8:18 am
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:05 am

Yes, it's an older thread, but why start a new one when you could just update the existing one?

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=346447
Old Apr 15, 2007, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by douflaginc

I'm lost here....if this is your first trip to NYC and you're flying in and out of ISP, what car do you speak of?

Fly into ISP, take a taxi to the Ronkonkoma train station, take a train into Penn, then buy your unlimited metrocard (weekly might be cheaper than a bunch of daily unlimiteds) at Penn.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 8:20 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
But don't take a taxi from the line at ISP: either call for one on the courtesy phone or take the Colonial shuttle if you see it (the difference is $5 versus about $12-14).

I would not recommend renting a car just to drive into Manhattan; it will not be cost-effective and you won't want one while you are here.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rfrost
But don't take a taxi from the line at ISP: either call for one on the courtesy phone or take the Colonial shuttle if you see it (the difference is $5 versus about $12-14).

I would not recommend renting a car just to drive into Manhattan; it will not be cost-effective and you won't want one while you are here.
Until we know how many people are in the OP's party, I don't think one can generalize about taking a taxi or renting a car one-way from ISP to Manhattan.

While a car will certainly be more expensive, it may save an hour or so, especially if there is only one train an hour from Ronkonkoma to Manhattan when the OP and his party are traveling.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Until we know how many people are in the OP's party, I don't think one can generalize about taking a taxi or renting a car one-way from ISP to Manhattan.

While a car will certainly be more expensive, it may save an hour or so, especially if there is only one train an hour from Ronkonkoma to Manhattan when the OP and his party are traveling.
There's going to be two of us. Yes, it would be a car rental. We'll be arriving at 12:40pm.

Anyway, I think I've figured out what we'll be doing. We'll probably take the shuttle to Ronkonkoma ($10)(10 mins), the LIRR train to Penn Station($18.04 webticket, off-peak)(100 mins), unlimited metrocard from Penn to Roosevelt Hotel ($14)(~15mins). Pricing is for 2, so it'll be around $42, and approx. 2 hours just for the rides. We'll probably have to catch the 1:43pm LIRR train so that means it's about a 3 hour trip to NYC.

If traffic is good, and there is a free park and ride lot in Long Island, it may not be that bad a deal, as it's only $50-60 more, and we'll save an 1 1/2 hours. Also, I should say that we plan on visiting the Brooklyn/Queens/Flushing area on 5/28, so I thought the car may be helpful there. I don't know if parking/driving around in those areas are as bad as NYC though.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I don't understand your reference to a park and ride lot. The only reason to rent a car at ISP is to drive yourself into Manhattan. (That's how you would save 1 1/2 hours.) But if you are going to drive yourself to Manhattan, why would you need a park and ride lot on Long Island?

Depending on where you are going in Brooklyn and Queens, you may find public transportation to be very convenient. The Long Island Rail Road serves several Queens stations with frequent service from Penn Station. And the subway goes to several parts of Queens, and most of Brooklyn.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

I don't understand your reference to a park and ride lot. The only reason to rent a car at ISP is to drive yourself into Manhattan. (That's how you would save 1 1/2 hours.) But if you are going to drive yourself to Manhattan, why would you need a park and ride lot on Long Island?

Depending on where you are going in Brooklyn and Queens, you may find public transportation to be very convenient. The Long Island Rail Road serves several Queens stations with frequent service from Penn Station. And the subway goes to several parts of Queens, and most of Brooklyn.
Well, here in Chicago, park and ride lots are associated with a train/bus station; it's a parking lot for people who who drive to the train station to get to wherever they want to go. I'm not trying to drive into Manhattan as it's not advised. I just thought it would be more convenient and time saving in those three cities.

Plus, if you look at the fees for public transportation, its only for one way. Renting may not be cheaper, but I don't think the difference will be that great. Not to mention, that if traveling during off peak times, you'll save 3 hours total.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You would only save three hours total if you drove the car to and from Manhattan. If you drove the car to a rail station somewhere on Long Island and then took public transportation, your time savings would be less (you'd have to wait for the next train to come along) plus you'd have to pay the cost of the LIRR train into Manhattan. There are no free park and ride lots associated with subway stations in Brooklyn or Queens.

I think driving a car one way into Manhattan (and immediately turning it in at a Manhattan car-rental location) is a reasonable alternative, but renting a car for the weekend is not, at least if you are staying in Manhattan.

If you decide to take the LIRR into Manhattan, be aware that once you get to Penn Station, the $7 unlimited daily Metrocard may not be your best deal: it is only cost effective if you take at least 5 rides per day. When you purchase or refill a pay-per-ride Metrocard with $10 or more, you receive a 20% bonus, which effectively brings the cost of each trip down to $1.67. And you get free transfers between buses and subways within 2 hours of the start of each trip.

Last edited by guv1976; Apr 17, 2007 at 10:55 am
Old Apr 17, 2007, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well it's been a few days and I still don't understand what the car is for. You're going to pay each day you have the car as it sits in some parking lot but you'll use it when you want to drive around Queens and Brooklyn? Ok, this makes no sense so I must be missing something.

With buses and subways, you can access much of Queens and Brooklyn without paying for a car you'll barely use.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:15 am

This is an incredibly easy call. The LIRR train station area abuts the airport fence. Due to typical ingenious NYC area transportation policy the terminal is clear on the other side. Nonetheless it's about 2 miles tops.

Cab from the airport to LIRR is $5 per person flat rate shared, so they'll wait for four of you and then go. It takes about 3 minutes. Train from there is direct to penn with no transfers and leaves often. There's an adjacent station with a waiting room and a few restaurants and so on if you have to wait, which is never more than an hour or so daytime. It's the end of the line so the station is big and you don't need exact change, get tickets from the machine which is simple. It's around 2 hours in transit.

It's impossible to beat this unless you want to rent a car and pay for manhattan parking, which is quite simple also, just fairly expensive (expect $25-$45 a day minimum with no in-and-outs).
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the OP decides to drive a rental car one way from ISP to Manhattan, Budget has a compact available for $50, including taxes and fees, but excluding gas and tolls. The base rate is $40 using the Entertainment Card discount; similar discount codes should yield a similar rate. The car could be dropped at Budget's office on East 43rd Street in Manhattan, just a few blocks from the Roosevelt Hotel.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 4:57 pm

If the OP decides to drive a rental car one way from ISP to Manhattan, Budget has a compact available for $50, including taxes and fees, but excluding gas and tolls. The base rate is $40 using the Entertainment Card discount; similar discount codes should yield a similar rate. The car could be dropped at Budget's office on East 43rd Street in Manhattan, just a few blocks from the Roosevelt Hotel.
Did you check one way prices? They seem to be very intermittently applied from ISP to NYC locations. Some co's consider it one city, others don't. Hertz can't seem to make up its mind... IME Hertz is OK with renting ISP and dropping LGA/JFK but not manhattan. But I swear every time I've tried it's a different answer.

One company I know is OK with ISP pickup and NYC drop with no fee is enterprise. However enterprise is off-airport for ISP and it's a total hassle to get to their lot which is probably 3-4 miles away, so I wouldn't recommend.

If you want to just ditch the car in manhattan there are also $15/day outdoor lots on the far west side, and lastly it's relatively easy to park in the city on Sundays with on-street parking. Saturdays it's not all that hard, and weekdays no chance in hell unless you're a local. Read the signs *really* carefully though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.