Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking young kids to PER, ADL & SYD - what to do/see?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Taking young kids to PER, ADL & SYD - what to do/see?

And I suppose what to avoid, too!

The Swiss family are preparing to invade Oz at the end of the year and we're looking for some ideas of what not to miss in the above cities.

As background, Swiss Jr will be 2.5yrs old at the time and his younger brother or sister will be 7 months.

In PER & ADL we'll have a car. I don't intend to rent one in SYD though.

Ideas at the moment are:
PERTH (4 days)
Zoo
Fremantle
Aquarium

ADELAIDE (2 days)
Cleland
Zoo/Botanical Gdns.
The riverside park
Some (food) shopping

SYDNEY (4 days, incl NYE)
Ferry across the harbour
Zoo
???

All thoughts, comments, observations, (casual) dining recommendations etc welcome.

Many thanks

Tony
Old Apr 20, 2007, 1:34 am

If you do decide to rent a car in SYD, try the Featherdale Animal Park.
Kids can get right up and pet/feed friendly kangaroos, koalas and birds. Fantastic for kids in the under 3 category.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 12:08 am

In Perth there is Adventure World. A trip over to Rottnest Island might also be good. I'd give the zoo a miss. Rather find a good wildlife park. There's one up in Yanchep, north of Perth.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 5:12 am

Programs: QF Plat & Lifetime Gold, Velocity Gold, SQ PPS
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony

Ferry across the harbour
Zoo
???

All thoughts, comments, observations, (casual) dining recommendations etc welcome.
Nielsen Park is a good spot if you have small kids. It is on the harbour with a very pleasant beach (netted) and a reasonable kiosk and restaurant for casual dining.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 10:31 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The Sydney Aquarium is excellent; it looks like a tourist trap, but isn't. Well worth a visit.

I'm a big fan of the Sydney Harbour Ferry walks. They are amazing and easy to do and some are suitable for kids your age. http://www.sydneyferries.info/attrac...rbourwalks.php
Old Apr 27, 2007, 11:20 pm

Programs: United. Continental, BA, Starwood
I lived in Perth for 7 years and had lots of visitors. I just looked at my list of favourite places to take them, and selected ones you may like as a family.

Just north of Perth:
Number 1 choice would be Caversham Wildlife Park.
Located in Whiteman Park and has areas to feed the kangaroos, hold koalas and other native animals. Normally not too busy.
Whiteman Park itself has an old tractor display and certain days they fire one up. (amongst other things)

Botanic Golf - North Joondalop – in summer make sure insect repellant is applied. There is a café onsite or take a picnic and eat in the picnic area.
Not open Mondays. Entertaining for kids to play and for you to admire the setting.

Hillary’s Boat Harbour – quaint shops and cafes open Sundays too. This is where the aquarium is located. I don't think it's that great compared to some others I've been to.

The Swan Valley area is wonderful to visit when the weather is good. However, it is more for adults with all the winerys. There is an icecream shop, and the Margaret River Chocolate Factory (free samples) for the kids.

Heading South to the city along the coast:
Scarborough Beach, Cottesloe Beach

City:
Number 1 attraction: Kings Park - Has a nice gift shop, and a restaurant with a stunning view.
There is a bridge walk plus a tower to climb into the trees.
Incredible view from the memorial area over the city skyline (must see)

Captain Cook cruises - have a variety of cruises. My visitors enjoyed the Freo-Perth as it offered free wine tastings (with crackers & cookies, tea & coffee). It also runs Perth -Freo (no wine). There is a train that runs between Freo and Perth too, which is very cheap, and an alternative to getting back to your car/hotel.

Perth Mint - may be a little boring for the youngster.
Gold pour every half hour. Has a great gift shop.

Bell Tower - Free entry first Tuesday of the month – not worth paying!

Tourist Bureau located at Forest Square opposite the train station.
Look in their tourist guide books (also on a stand at the airport outside customs) as they often have coupons for discounts off admission prices.

There's a huge food court underground in the city.

South of city:
Fremantle:
Known for it's bohemian flare. Tons of restaurants along "cappachino strip".
Favourite is Pizza Bellaroma (serves other things too) excellent food, large portions (be warned), no credit cards.
Lots of quaint stores.
Fremantle prison - it's a lengthy tour. Quite a bit of walking but great to see the old cells. Not sure if the young one would appreciate it.
My fave place was the old lunatic assylum which is now the art and history museum. Very interesting, but a lot to absorb.
It's free to go in. There is one of the "haunted cells" still left - so may be an alternative to the prison for a bit of history.

Rottnest Island - Busy during local school holidays. Take the free bus around the island and get off and on where you prefer. Alternative is hiring a bike.
30 minute ferry ride each direction.
No shade on the beaches. Best to take food and water too if going to a remote beach.

Transport:
Word of warning - parking. If you park at a meter there is a max time. You have to go back and move the car...you can't just put more money in! They are patrolled and tires are marked to make sure you don't stay past your time.
There are 3 free CAT buses that circulate around Perth, and one around Freo. Get on and off where you want.

Not sure when you are going, but Perth can be enjoyed anytime of year as it really is a beautiful city. I miss it so much now I'm stuck in Houston.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
We just took our kids (5, 8, 11) to SYD from BNE and here is what worked for us:

1> Combo ticket for Sydney Acquarium and the Space Needle thingie. Saved dad a few bucks and it was a good day. We did the Acquarium in the morning (be early, lines can get long) and had a late(ish) lunch in one of the arcade malls, then did the space needle thing.

2> Powerhouse museum. Finally a place for kids and adults. We were there for five house and could have stayed all day. The caff was ok, nice place to eat while the kids play on a very nice articulated monkey bars.

3> We stayed downtown (CBD) at the Pacific International, which was nice and close to chinatown and the rocks. No pool.

4> There is a playground (sand, climbing structures) between the rocks (100M) and chinatown. Kids played on that (got filthy having fun) every day. And Free!

5> We did not get a chance to see the iMax (time) but my kids love it and it is close.

6> My wife and I enjoyed the ferry to/from Manly, the kids were: meh. Ditto walking around Manly, but with more complaints from the kids.

Good luck and have a good time!
Old Apr 28, 2007, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks all. Keep the suggestions coming, and for what it's worth the majority of this trip will be in December.

Regards

Tony
Old Apr 28, 2007, 10:24 pm

Programs: United. Continental, BA, Starwood
Cool

December - Hot, hot, hot - the school summer holidays!
Perth hosts "Carols by Candlelight" in a park near the city centre...always a popular event for families. The suburbs surrounding the city mostly have their own events too.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:23 am

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Ideas at the moment are:
PERTH (4 days)
Zoo
Fremantle
Aquarium

Ferry across the harbour
Zoo
???

You've come to the right place for info Tony.

In Perth, if the tot's can survive a ferry ride - and it can get VERY VERY ROUGH - take them over to Rottnest Island. The beaches are fantastic, it's very pictureque, and it's quiet (ok well it can be quietER than some beaches)

Sydney you may like to ensure a stop at the PowerHouse Museum. It's a very hands on exhibit that the kids are probably going to enjoy, and mum and dad certainly will.

For light dining in Sydney, it really does depend on where you're staying and other things you have planned. If the kids can be trusted near water (no disrespect intended, but a 10 foot drop without fencing can be a bit dangerous without watchful parents) take a trip to Harry's Cafe De Wheels for a pie. Not the best pie in the world, but it's the atmosphere that makes it. It really is a Sydney Icon for easy food.
Old May 1, 2007, 1:08 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by dannyr
... take a trip to Harry's Cafe De Wheels for a pie. Not the best pie in the world, but it's the atmosphere that makes it. It really is a Sydney Icon for easy food.
And does have one of the best chili's in the world (rather amazingly). You do have to be up to date on your shots before eating here, though.
Old May 4, 2007, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dannyr
Rottnest Island. The beaches are fantastic, it's very pictureque, and it's quiet (ok well it can be quietER than some beaches)
One of the most beautiful island in the world, and yet almost every tourist gets off at Fremantle ^
Old May 9, 2007, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Originally Posted by susieQ
The Swan Valley area is wonderful to visit when the weather is good. However, it is more for adults with all the winerys. There is an icecream shop, and the Margaret River Chocolate Factory (free samples) for the kids.
I would second this--it's a great day-trip! There is certainly more to do for adults than kids, but it such a short drive drive from the city that it would be easy to pop up there for a few hours, stop at a winery, get some ice cream and chocolate, and take in the beautiful scenery...
Old May 10, 2007, 10:16 am

Programs: QF Silver
Bit of a long day trip (well night actually) from Adelaide is Granite Island at Victor Harbor. Around dusk the little blue penguins return home from feeding at sea to nest. There are guided penguin tours or you can just wander around yourselves. They don't tap dance or anything but are pretty cute.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This is great stuff so far - please excuse the shameless bump, but all extra information is welcome!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.