Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the corporate travel policy for Walmart?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2007, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ *G, QF S, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Advantage Platinum

Do anyone know what the corporate travel policy is for Walmart? My wife may get a job for them and I want to know if the travel policy for international is First / Business / Coach?

Just by reputation I am thinking coach, but you never know.

Anyone on this forum work for them or knows someone that does?

Thanks
Old Apr 21, 2007, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
I met a group of Wal-Mart employees at an event in the DFW area. They had to rent a van and drive (5+ hours) both ways in the same day.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta Sky Miles
Back in February, I started a thread on this forum - "Has your employer ever forced you to share a hotel room?" I urge you to find that thread, and see posts #101 and #115 re. Walmart.

Based on these 2 posts, it certainly sounds like their travel policies for air travel would entail coach, and worse, room sharing. Beware!
Old Apr 21, 2007, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I believe that their policy requires that all airfares must end in .77
Old Apr 21, 2007, 9:40 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
They have a pretty decent corporate rate with IHG
Old Apr 21, 2007, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Is it true they will only allow you to fly on airlines who have replaced their union pilots with smiley faced blow up dolls?
Old Apr 21, 2007, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Is it true they will only allow you to fly on airlines who have replaced their union pilots with smiley faced blow up dolls?
My guess on Walmart corporate travel policies is that it stipulates that when travelling in pairs, the junior employee will fit in the checked in baggage of the senior employee

Would seem to be in line with the "share room when on business trip" policy cited elsewhere....
Old Apr 21, 2007, 8:38 pm

Programs: Delta FO, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
And you're not allowed to check bags... only carry those plastic bags with their logo on them...

The bigger question to me would be this: does she have to wear the blue smock while in transit???
Old Apr 21, 2007, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
As a former Wal-Mart widow (read - married to someone at Wal-Mart) all I can say is their travel policy basically sucks. Good luck to her if she takes the job. It is not a glamorous travel life (or anything remotely like that).
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ *G, QF S, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Advantage Platinum
Thanks for the laughs - will advise spouse.

Only been in a Walmart store once in my life, but know the cultural references.

She would be a corporate officer - not based in a store, but I understand about the blue smock.

I know the CFO for Jetstar - the low cost carrier of Qantas. All employees of Jetstar if flying on a Jetstar flight. Must stay on the plane and help clean it - no matter what position they are in. So when he flies, the CFO has to stay on board and help clean it.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 4:21 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by voop
My guess on Walmart corporate travel policies is that it stipulates that when travelling in pairs, the junior employee will fit in the checked in baggage of the senior employee
I was under the impression that the junior employee should fit in the carry-on that fits under the seat in front of you?
Old Apr 22, 2007, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Gotta Requalify
I know the CFO for Jetstar - the low cost carrier of Qantas. All employees of Jetstar if flying on a Jetstar flight. Must stay on the plane and help clean it - no matter what position they are in. So when he flies, the CFO has to stay on board and help clean it.
That is just awful.

He needs a new job.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 5:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
So does anyone have any real information about Walmart travel policies?
Old Apr 22, 2007, 5:51 am

Programs: AA PLT
If she is a corporate officer she may be much better off. If I remember right (and it's been awhile) Wal-Mart owned a share (corporate jet) with Raytheon TravelAir. TravelAir was eventually purchased by Flight Options but I'm sure they went along with them.

Like I said I'm going by memory but I'm almost positive I remember sending jets to Bentonville.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
in my last job, i worked as a supplier for wal-mart for 8 years. as of 3 years ago, for international travel they were allowed to fly in business. also, they did not have to share rooms overseas, and the hotels were usually good business hotels.

domestically, is a different story. they have to share rooms in some really low end hotels, travel coach on commercial planes or fly on corporate planes (that were ususally very small and no frills). they got a very small per diam (maybe $35 a day). they also did not get to keep any miles earned on business travel.

not sure if any or all of this still holds true, but hopefully this is the information you are looking for.

ps: being vp level does not ususally change the policies.
pps: i just re-read your original post and saw you are based outside the US, I am not sure if any of the above will apply outside of the US.

Last edited by LongingForORD; Apr 22, 2007 at 1:42 pm Reason: re read original post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.