Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Service men get to the front of the line.....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2007, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM
Service men get to the front of the line.....

Okay, flame me now for being un-patriotic but...(and move to another place if needs be)...

On my Delta flight from TPA - ATL today they made an announcement at the end of the flight prior to landing that there was a PRVT in the army going to Korea and had RE-INLISTED, just gotten married in Oct, etc..... We were asked to wait for him to get to the front of the plane (he was in the VERY BACK of the 763, I guess no one else in First wanted to let him swap seats) and let him deplane first.

Okay, I have a little problem with that...Yes he is serving the country, but last time I checked, it was HIS choice to one enlist the first time and really his choice to RE-ENLIST the second time. There hasn't been a draft in ages. He did get a round of applause two or three times for his service, Great, glad he was able to serve and such...

But after finishing the book 'Blowback' and all the debacle in Iraq, and soon to be other places, this really rubbed me the wrong way.....

Okay, rant off.....Thanks for your service.

-----

Okay, I know I am going to get those that will say I am wrong, and those that can't say I'm okay for my thinking since they don't want to get flamed, but I will take the flame/burn for this....Its a d*med if you do d*med if you don't topic.

Last edited by iCorpRoadie; Apr 21, 2007 at 2:57 pm
Old Apr 21, 2007, 8:59 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I don't really have an issue with it, as long as it didn't take him 20 min to wade through people who don't listen to anything the FAs have to say.

I usually guest service people into the CRC, give them drink chits in the Admirals Club, or elite-upgrade them if I don't have a companion already, so perhaps I'm a little biased.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
Must............resist.............bait........... .<gasp>

Old Apr 21, 2007, 9:32 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
If he had been on my flight, I would have switched seats with him and he would have been up front in first......
Old Apr 21, 2007, 9:36 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Delta
Originally Posted by iCorpRoadie
(he was in the VERY BACK of the 763, I guess no one else in First wanted to let him swap seats) and let him deplane first.

Okay, I have a little problem with that....
My only problem with this is that they upgraded anyone before making sure this young man who is putting his life on the line everyday for our freedom got a seat in First.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 9:37 am

I'm not a big fan of war, (ESPECIALLY the one we're currently involved with), but I think it's just a sign of respect. You were in F, how much longer did it really take you to get off the a/c? Unless you missed a connection, there isn't much to complain about.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 9:38 am
In Memoriam

and what we don't know is who was awaiting his arrival in ATL, etc.

It happens every day on flights all over the world....

"...such and such have close connecting flights, can we please let them deplane first."

Many times every day I cede my own sense of self importance for the convince or benefit of others and never cease to feel good about it.

and for the sake of accuracy, I believe that it was one service man.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I wrote about 300 words, but, never mind... *sigh*... I'm sick at heart for this country.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 10:59 am

Programs: Delta, United
I would be happy to do this for anyone who is returning from an active combat zone. In fact I will give up my seat in F to them. But I think it is perhpas a bit much for what sounds like someone who is on active duty and stationed overseas.

*Technically there is no peace agreement in Korea but then on the other hand there was never any declaration of war
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:05 am

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
I see nothing wrong with honoring servicepeople. The comment about the re-enlistment being his choice is right - his choice to serve his country, and potentially lose his life for it.

Every DL flight i've been on peple have been very supportive of the Military - i'm currently in Iraq taking incoming rounds, and brave young men are dying here.. regardless of how you feel about the war or the military.

Letting someone get of the plane first (on a non interference basis) or allowing them to have an empty "F" seat is simply courtesy and thanking them for doing an often thankless job - and quite often for little pay.

It's really pretty disheartning to hear such negative comments. As for the record, I am a reserve officer. Perhap next time they can broadcast your own feelings over the plane's PA before they kindly let the soldier off.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG
I think it's fine to let someone off the plane first, but frankly for me Delta's pandering to service members slightly annoys me. There are lots of other people on flights every day who risk their lives in other ways (firemen, police officers) as well as public servants such as teachers who don't risk their lives but are responsible for our children's educations with little gratitude. Personally, I think all pax should be created equal.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by spgaston
Personally, I think all pax should be created equal.
Thank you!
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:27 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
As long as no one missed connections great they done this. I also agree he should've been in f/c if there was any way.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by DL4EVR
I'm not a big fan of war, (ESPECIALLY the one we're currently involved with), but I think it's just a sign of respect. You were in F, how much longer did it really take you to get off the a/c? Unless you missed a connection, there isn't much to complain about.
^

[only in America]

As he walks up to the front of the plane you hear paxs mutter "its not like he gave us freedom"

[/only in America]
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:46 am

I'm rarely on a flight w/o at least one service member. Would I give up my F seat to a returning war zone soldier? Yes. Should PA's be made on every flight carrying someone in desert fatigues? No.

FA's shouldn't inquire of each uniformed pax where he's been or going and then ad-lib some priority accommodation. There are just too many variables.

If there's a kid fresh from basic on his 10-day R&R, do you buy him a drink, move him up front, announce his status or just hope people around him pay him some approving notice?

It's not something you can make into coherent on-board policy. Extend courtesy whenever possible, but don't formalize it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.