Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:55 am
Pam
Original Poster

Arrow Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis [Master Thread]

My son has had a several-week-long critical illness, and has been transferred to what I think is a rehab hospital in St. Louis. It's on Oakland Ave, and I guess fairly close to the Zoo. I am flying up to see him on May 8th, and have been trying to find someplace to stay. I saw a Hampton Inn that seems to be fairly close, then researched *wood and saw this Clayton Plaza that says it offers "limited" transportation, but when I searched there weren't a lot of kind words about it.

I'll be alone, and am totally unfamiliar with anything to do with St. Louis. Would the Clayton Plaza hotel be preferable to the Hampton Inn, or should I go with the closer location? I will be dependant on transportation or cabs, no way would I try to battle strange big-city traffic.

Thanks..
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:11 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Pam
...Would the Clayton Plaza hotel be preferable to the Hampton Inn, or should I go with the closer location? I will be dependant on transportation or cabs, no way would I try to battle strange big-city traffic.

Thanks..
You know, I'm a Sheraton kind of guy, and I am sure that the Sheraton Clayton Plaza would be a fine choice; however, if I was in the position as you stated here...needing to be close by, dependent upon public transportation, etc...I would chose the closest location.

Here is hoping that your son recovers quickly and completely, regardless of what hotel you may choose.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:57 am
Pam
Original Poster

Thanks, William.

Spg.com says the Clayton Plaza has "limited airport shuttle", so I called them. According to the lady I talked, to, I should go to the courtesy phone and call them; if the shuttle is available, they'll tell me how long it will take to get to me. Key word there seems to be "if".

I won't be using public transportation, more like cabs and/or that "limited shuttle" service. I hate being this clueless, hopefully somebody will let me know what the rooms are like at the Clayton Plaza. Some reviews I have read said they were okay, others said dirty and ragged. I'm 60ish, and I'll be in that big city alone, and I need to decide where to stay.

I usually try to be prone to SPG hotels, if I can.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2mm), SPG Gold
Pam-

I can not give you any insight on the room conditions there but I can tell you that the hotel is an an excellent location. Clayton is extremely nice & you will be able to walk to numerous restaurants, etc. if you have time.

You would be maybe 2-3 miles from the hospital area & would have quick access to a cab at the hotel. You would need to phone for a cab at the hospital as St. Louis is not a "hail a cab on the street" kinda town.

Best of luck with your son.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 1:05 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
I guess it may depend on how often or how many times you anticipate needing to go back/forth to & from the hospital each day, or if you're going over there once in the morning & coming back at night.

From what I could gather from your post, your son is staying at Forest Park Hospital, at Oakland & Hampton. The Hampton Inn at Forest Park is practically next door to the hospital...maybe a couple of blocks at the most. Both the hospital & the hotel are across a freeway from St. Louis' Forest Park.
At this time of year, Forest Park is BEAUTIFUL, lots of easy walking opportunities, and with plenty of free, fun, & fantastic things to do during the day when you're not seeing your son.

The Sheraton Clayton Plaza is not at all walkable to hospital, and there's not a really convenient public transportation option between that Sheraton & that hospital. If you have the time and $$ for cabs, 'tho, then as the previous poster said, it's a 2-3 mile cab ride. And, also as the previous poster said, Clayton has a great assortment of restaurants, shops & cafe's to stroll around.

I can't imagine the Hampton having an airport shuttle like the S-Clayton. So, another option would be that you may want to do a combination of the two---staying at the Sheraton on the night or day of your arrival or departure, and at the Hampton in between.

There is a lively group of FT locals here, and I'm sure any and/or many of us would be happy to meet up with you while you're in town, if you need the fellowship while not seeing your son, or to help out with your visit in any way possible. FTer Sonora does an awesome job of moderating a local FT Yahoo group, with e-mails to all of us.

Our thoughts & prayers are definitely w/ you & your son.

Last edited by skye1; Apr 25, 2007 at 10:11 pm
Old Apr 25, 2007, 1:22 pm
Pam
Original Poster

Skye1, thank you so much! From what you said, I am thinking I could walk back and forth from the Hampton Inn? If so, that solves my problem completely; I didn't know if a cab driver would take offense if I wanted to just ride that short distance.

And I don't know how much I would be with him, either; the last seven weeks he was in ICU in Arkansas, and I was with him most of the time (small hospital, they knew him because he's a paramedic instructor there). I'm flying completely blind here, and I really, really hate that "not in control" feeling.

But if I can walk between the two, I'm there! I can do the cab from/back to the airport. And once I find out what is happening, I may very well reach out to "touch someone" there. I'm so appreciative.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 2:13 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Pam
Skye1, thank you so much! From what you said, I am thinking I could walk back and forth from the Hampton Inn? If so, that solves my problem completely; I didn't know if a cab driver would take offense if I wanted to just ride that short distance.

And I don't know how much I would be with him, either; the last seven weeks he was in ICU in Arkansas, and I was with him most of the time (small hospital, they knew him because he's a paramedic instructor there). I'm flying completely blind here, and I really, really hate that "not in control" feeling.

But if I can walk between the two, I'm there! I can do the cab from/back to the airport. And once I find out what is happening, I may very well reach out to "touch someone" there. I'm so appreciative.
I have PM'd a couple of them as a heads-up. Maybe one or more of us will be able to offer a ride (nice break from the back of a cab) or to meet for coffee (as a break from the hospital cafeteria, TONS of great cafe's only a very short, drive away---STL locals reading this, I'm thinking on Kaldi's Coffee in nearby The De Mun area, the Central West End area across the park, or in the park @ the Boathouse on the lake, etc.) .

There's also a Holiday Inn and a Red Roof Inn w/in walking distance as well, if the Hampton doesn't work out for you. I would think any of those, as well as the Sheraton, would only require notice by 6pm or so on an arrival date if you decide to switch after trying one out & it doesn't work. Okay, now for my lame attempt to bring this back on topic with another idea: The Sheraton Clayton might be a nice "break" for you in case you just need one night for yourself away from the hospital, etc. to recharge.

Last edited by skye1; Apr 25, 2007 at 10:10 pm
Old Apr 25, 2007, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
I stayed at the Sheraton Clayton Plaza in the Autumn. The Exec level room I stayed in was very tired, and the Lobby was not much better. This hotel is in need of refurbishment.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 11:27 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Platinum
I stayed at the Sheraton Clayton last week and I understand that the hotel was recently sold and a major renovation will start at the end of November. The room I had was not nice. Large stains on the carpet, dirty towels, heating didn't work (it was fixed after I complained), coffee maker was broken, etc. I also had difficulty arranging the airport shuttle and cashing a check. Hopefully with the new owners and renovations things will change.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Stayed there 8 years ago and it was bad then; bad enough to convert me to a Hilton guest when I was working in St. Louis. It sounds like they haven't done anything since then.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 12:17 am

Programs: UA 2MM, HY Diamond, ZE Pres
I booked there for a five day stay and didn't even stay the first night. Room was freezing and the heat wasn't working. Tiny room, poorly decorated, inadequate desk. I do have to say the front desk people were accommodating, not giving me an argument or wanting to charge me for the first night, even though I was 20hrs past the cancellation point.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 5:52 pm

New Manager

The Sheraton Clayton Hotel was purchased earlier this year and hired a new management company, Marcus Hotels and Resorts. Rest assured that both the new owners and new management team are committed to restoring the highest levels of guest services and experiences. The renovation begins November 26, 2007 and will encompass guestrooms and corridors, elevator landings and cabs, public meeting and banquet space, restaurant and lounge, business center and front desk. There really isn't much left untouched.

We appreciate everyone's patience, and really look forward to providing you with a new hotel very soon.

Thank you,

Dwight
Old Nov 30, 2007, 1:41 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I just completed a one-night stay at this property.

My room was a suite and I was pleased with the cleanliness. Fatastic view of the Arch and St. Louis skyline in the distance. The bed was superb and I had an excellent night sleep. The carpet, furniture and bathroom are in desperate need of refurbishment. The executive lounge had a terrific variety of hot appetizers and snacks in the evening as well as a delicious assortment of breakfast items including eggs florentine.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 3:02 pm

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
Poor Treatment at this Property

I opened a BCC file on them about 18 hours ago.

I stayed on the 27th of November, 2007. There were three desk agents, but I was told to wait to check in as they were looking for someone or something. I received my booked room type, a king, on the 4th floor, directly across from the elevator. At 85 nights with Starwood in 2007, that is rare, but the hotel didn't seem full. I went back and asked if I could have a room away from the elevator and they put me on the seventh floor. I asked about upgrades, and they said there were no more rooms left to upgrade me to. I may not have adequately communicated my platinum status. They certainly did not recognize it. On the way up, the guy checking in after me asked if I knew what SPG was. I told him, and he said, oh, why did they put me on that floor I wonder. He asked if the program is worth it...

I had to go down to the front desk to make sure that my rate plan and incidentals were correctly billed. The front desk staff said that they didn't accept my paperwork, and after an exhaustive (5 minute) conversation, they said they understood and they would take care of it.

I talked to John Price at the Lancaster CCC who said they still showed inventory of King Club Room's. He offered to call the property, but I said it was more important that they had my room rate correct and I'd just go to sleep.

The heating system finally kicked in when I set the thermostat to 78 degrees F. The carpet needed attention and the bathroom was worn. They have the new Bliss bathroom amenities.

In the morning I found I was charged the additional fees that I should not have been charged. Nor did I have club level access, so stopped by the front desk. They gave me access and I (having spent 10 minutes at the front desk) had about 5 minutes to enjoy a respectable, but not remarkable breakfast in the lounge.

They still haven't corrected the excess charges which my organization will make me pay out of pocket, so I opened a BCC for that. Platinum amenity has not posted and the Starwood Concierge is tracking that down for me.

In the bottom 30 of the 200 Starwood properties I've stayed at. Maybe number 175...

Last edited by CaptainG; Nov 30, 2007 at 3:27 pm
Old Dec 1, 2007, 6:12 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Wow. Your visit two nights before mine was radically different. Perhaps your complaints paved the way for me to have a pleasant stay...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.