Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

anybody use spray on stockings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2007, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

I'm tempted to buy the spray on stockings. I think they're called Air Stockings. Has anyone tried them and what are your thoughts? They look appealing to me since I HATE panty hose.

Bobette
Old Apr 26, 2007, 6:19 pm

can't comment on those, but for the past 20 years I have only been wearing DIM brand stay up stockings (mainly tights). They are light years better than most brands I see in the United States - available in Canada or France.

I can't imagine wearing pantyhose anymore!
Old Apr 28, 2007, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I hate pantyhose too. They bind my waist and hurt. I have not tried spray on stockings, but would love to hear any experiences as well. Have you tried thigh high stockings? Those aren't as bad as pantyhose.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 9:41 pm

I use the spray on stockings and give them two thumbs up.

I can't stand panty hose - binding me, twisting, always running at the worst possible time, ugly seams on the toes! I'm a pale girl with thin skin and you can see a bit too much of my circulatory system for me to be going bare. I've tried spray on tanners but getting smooth coverage is a pain so it doesn't look that much better than bare skin.

You just spray and rub in, wash your hands, and let it dry for a few minutes before you get dressed. It goes on pretty evenly. You get an even color with a matte finish. It stays on all day - haven't noticed it rubbing off on my clothing. You wash off with soap and a washcloth.

I don't wear skirts that often, so I'm not sure about long term usage.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka
I hate pantyhose too. They bind my waist and hurt. I have not tried spray on stockings, but would love to hear any experiences as well. Have you tried thigh high stockings? Those aren't as bad as pantyhose.

I have tried them, but they're not as forgiving as I'd like. Ten yearsago they would have looked much better than they do now

I'm going to give the spray ons a shot after Rocketgirl's recommendation. I'll report back.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 3:26 am

Programs: nada these days
I'm quite curious about these. Pantyhose are so 5 years ago, especially in warmer climates, but pale legs are also passe unless you happen to be Kirsten Dunst or Dita Von Teese. b1513, I'll be interested to hear what you think of the spray-ons!
Old Apr 30, 2007, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I've been wearing the spray on hose for a while. I won't wear pantyhose and this is easy, though can be a bit messy. I always put a towel down under me before I do it. It does wash off fairly easily with soap and water. It does a great job covering my spider veins and scars. I buy mine at Target - I believe it's Sally Hansen - it's in a tannish gold bottle with gold cap.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 3:26 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
No, but I'm old enough to remember a time during WWII when my aunt had my mother draw (in India Ink) the seams of hose on the back of her legs, because she didn't have a pair.

Of course, being that old, I also remember the grand and the grim, the days before panty hose, when a young man had to be culturally aware of the variety of underpinings which might be encountered.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 6:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Silver
Anyone use them in the extreme heat? I used them once, but it was in April in NJ so it was only about 65. I'm relocating to Phoenix, and in theory it sounds much better than wearing stockings when its 110 out. But I also have this mental image of my legs sweating and the color running everywhere.
Old May 1, 2007, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I've used these in the heat of summer in Orlando and Houston and no dripping or streaking. Trust me, if I didn't have problems in these two cities, any place should be fine.
Old May 1, 2007, 8:31 pm

Programs: SK*S, AA PLT, US*S
Originally Posted by sonoranjerseygirl
Anyone use them in the extreme heat? I used them once, but it was in April in NJ so it was only about 65. I'm relocating to Phoenix, and in theory it sounds much better than wearing stockings when its 110 out. But I also have this mental image of my legs sweating and the color running everywhere.
Well, if they work in Orlando and Houston, where the humidity is much worse than in PHX, you shouldn't have a problem. But what do I know, as a guy I don't feel the need for spray-on stocking.
Old May 1, 2007, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA
:: perk :: Spray-on stockings? What are these? I've never heard of them? I got over my initial willies reaction after reading a few posts and now wonder where to go to buy them.

I'm not as anti-pantyhose as some previous posters (though I agree they do really dig in at the waist). What bugs me the most about them is how easily they're ruined and thus how much $$$ you have to spend on something that you have to treat as disposable. On the other hand, I'm old enough to belong to the group that doesn't feel you should show up bare-pasty-legged to an occasion warranting a dress or skirt.

So! Do tell ...
Old May 1, 2007, 9:55 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Smile

I used to think they looked fake but then I found the Sally Hanson ones in the nude shade. My skin is very fair and the others I had used looked too much like a fake orange suntan, but that nude shade works really well for me. I really depended on them a lot when I was working in the summer in NYC, where wearing pantyhose around town would be nearly tantamount to wearing a t-shirt that says "Not From Here". They helped me feel like my legs were presentable and somewhat professional while still surviving the heat. However, they're not perfect and they do transfer color to things like chairs and car seats if you aren't careful. If you don't wash your legs before bed you may even find your sheets colored, but it completely washes out. Still, might be a good thing to be aware of if you are going to spray your legs and stay over with your significant other. I never had any problem with them running after they dry, even when sweating. I have best results when I shake the can well, spray over a towel so the carpet and fixtures don't get stained, start with light bursts to first lightly cover imperfections that need extra attention and then very lightly and carefully spraying the rest of the legs (not too close and keep it moving in smooth sprays). Most of all DON'T GET CARRIED AWAY... start light, let them dry, check out the results, then spray a little more if you notice an area that needs a little more. If you spray too much on at once you end up with weird zombie legs and it will run a little before drying! Some people rub it in and the can says to do so, but I think that makes it look more fake, whereas by lightly spraying and just patting with a fingertip any splatters I can see, I get results I like better. I am happiest with results with the shade that very closely matches my skin and would not recommend using a product like this to try to achieve a fake tan -- self-tanners are better for that. Also, I found that if I look too closely I end up spraying on too much trying to get them perfect and they look cakey, but if I step back and just check out the results in a mirror, I end up producing more natural-looking results that dry into a really good finish.

I don't love spray on hose, but they do the trick when used with care.
Old May 2, 2007, 12:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I absolutely love, and swear by, Air Stockings, and always wear them when I am traveling to a hot, humid climate where I want to wear shorts.

Air Stockings are fabulous. They make one's legs look smooth and tan, cover spider veins, and last several days.

I too, put down a towel before I spray my legs. I then rub the substance evenly into my legs and feet and, voila, it looks perfect.

Air Stockings were available at Nordstrom for several years, but then disappeared from the shelves, at least here in Seattle, where it rarely gets uncomfortably warm. They may still sell them in warmer climates.

The Sally Hanson brand is unknown to me, but if it really does rub off, I am not interested. Can anyone elaborate on this point?
Old May 2, 2007, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Punki
I absolutely love, and swear by, Air Stockings, and always wear them when I am traveling to a hot, humid climate where I want to wear shorts.

Air Stockings are fabulous. They make one's legs look smooth and tan, cover spider veins, and last several days.

I
I ordered Air Stockings and am waiting for them to be delivered. I'm glad to hear you like them, Punki. Nordstrom's don't have them listed on their web site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.