Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Removed from flight, interrogated by FBI - all for using word 'speed'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Removed from flight, interrogated by FBI - all for using word 'speed'

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-gold, CO-gold, DL-GM, US-gold, HH-gold, SPG-plat, IC-plat, Hyatt-diamond
Unhappy Removed from flight, interrogated by FBI - all for using word 'speed'

First of all my apologies to the passengers of the 7 a.m. US Airways Flight 1926 from MCO (Orlando) to DCA, who were all delayed for a couple of hours.

Let me assure you that neither the stranger sitting beside me in first class, nor myself, EVER said that ANY crew member was on drugs.

This is what happened…

-The flight attendant did the safety announcement at LIGHTENING speed, and like it was some joke, in the middle started to draw out the words like a little child, then she immediately continued at lightening speed, not even allowing the flight attendants to properly demonstrate what she was explaining.

-I thought it was odd, not professional, and rude to the passengers – but hey, what is a passenger to expect these days

-A few minutes later I heard my seat mate ask another flight attendant (we later found out that she was the head attendant) for the name of the fast speaker, because he wanted to use her as a real life example in a speech on ‘attitudes’ the next day. He started off his conversation making the comment, "That was the fastest safety presentation I have heard in 3.5 million miles of traveling, was she on speed or something?"

-The head attendant talked calmly too him a couple minutes, looking embarrassed that a co-worker had performed that way, and left saying she would bring this up w/ the other attendant.

-The head attendant came back while we were taxiing on the runway to tell my seat mate to watch the words he uses in the future, because if an accusation is made that a flight attendant is on drugs, she has to tell the captain, who has to take the plane back and the entire crew gets drug tested.

-The man quickly clarified that he never said that she was on drugs, and for the first time I spoke up, emphasizing that he NEVER did accuse nor imply that anyone was on drugs, I repeated his analogy, dissecting it to show no accusation was made, and further pointed out that in my opinion nothing in his tone nor mannerism even implied this – I also took the opportunity to say the safety announcement was just plain wrong.

-The head attendant looked more perturbed, and said she was going to report this to the captain. My seat mate and I looked at each other, and then told her one more time that no accusation was made, nor implied about drug use. I sensed at this point that she had a desire to show her power in the situation.

-15 minutes later my seatmate and I were detained by the Orlando PD, waiting for the FBI & Homeland Security who were investigating us for ‘interfering with the duties of the flight crew.’ Now 3 flight attendants, and other passengers were saying that BOTH of us had made accusations of drug use. Before this was over the U.S. Attorney General was called to make the decision whether to prosecute us.

-Come to find out my seat mate is a motivational speaker like Tony Robbins, has published 4 books on attitude, and a very enjoyable person to spend several hours in detention with. Neither of us complained once about the half a day odyssey we were put through, and although shocked, we took it in stride.

-No charges were brought against us, we caught the next non-stop to DC, and the following valuable lessons were learned:

*The flight attendant should have read the safety announcement in the ‘normal’ style.
*My seatmate should have used the word ‘caffeine’ instead of ‘speed’
*I do not regret defending my seatmate, but I should have used a lower voice so other passengers would not have even heard occasional words, and as the FBI & Homeland Security informed us, any complaints should be made in writing after landing
*The head flight attendant should have accepted the insistence of 2 frequent flyer and well heeled passengers, that no drug use was being accused nor implied, and let the flight go on without incident

Bottom line fellow flyers: Add drugs to the list of words though shall not use on aircraft, and think twice about commenting on quality of service while on board – in the post 9/11 world flight crews wield a lot of power over your lives, and they know it.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Wow. Talk about idiotic behaviour on the part of the flight crew.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
And I thought this thread was going to be about how someone said that a bomb on board would go off if the airplane dropped below 50 knots.

OK, this country is officially off its rocker.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You get interrogated for no reason after putting no one in danger, but the FA is allowed to make the saftey announcement in an unsafe manner, which could have a negative impact on people's ability to survive if there were an emergency. Seems like US has its priorities out of whack. Is power-tripping passengers more important than ensuring their saftey?

I think you should suggest to the FAA that you know an airline that deserves one of their $10,000 saftey violation fines.

And I think you're owed some compensation for the US FAs who lied to the feds and filed a false report against you. This is not just bad customer service, it's illegal.

Big thumbs down to US; you should take your business elsewhere.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
That is nuts - and if that is also a bad word then a lot of UA FTers are in trouble
Old Apr 26, 2007, 11:09 pm

never comment about a flight attendant on a flight....they will make your trip into your worst nightmare....complain to customer service after your trip is over noting date, time and flight number....but than...all i ever get are $150 flight vouchers....

once i put my small little laptop bag in the overhead..a flight attendant came over and told me i will have to put that under the seat in front....i was seated in the aisle and a bolted metal box was underneath the seat infront of me..so no room for even a small bag....i explained that my seat didn't have any room for underneath storage....she told me to hold my "oversized" laptop bag until everybody has boarded and had put their rollers in the overhead bins....she will come back after everybody has boarded to find room for my bag..(after they already announced that this was going to be a completely full flight)....so i hold my bag....and everybody boards....all the bins get filled.....they close the door..do the safety announcement and it's ready to leave...another attendant notices me still holding my bag..and tells me i need to store that...i explain..pointing at the flight attendant that she told me i need to hold my bag until she came to store it.....i was just following instructions...she tells me i need to find a place to store it....i stand and start walking looking for any space in the bin to store my little laptop bag...all the bins were completely filled...(flight is delayed now)....finally the head flight attendant comes over and places my bag in the coat closet...

the original attendant comes to my face....literally 2 inches from my face....angryly whispering..."do you have a problem with me?"...."i know you are angry"....."what are you angry about?"....i smile and tell her that i have no problem..and just was doing as i was intructed by her.....she threatened me to have me tossed off the plane if i cause any trouble....she was literally trying to force me to get angry...i calmly told her...i had no problem...and i just closed by eyes pretending to try to sleep....she keeps 2 inches close..spitting on my face as she talked..."don't try to ignore me...if you are angry..say it~!"....after i got to my destination....i went to customer service and explained what happened....not sure what happened...but i got $150 voucher in the mail from united....

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
That is nuts - and if that is also a bad word then a lot of UA FTers are in trouble
Old Apr 27, 2007, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"free speech" in the US? Hahahaha!

Welcome to FlyerTalk, CarpeDiem. Thanks for posting and post on FlyerTalk often, please.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
That's actually really sad.

I'd sue them as a matter of principal for lost time/wages and trauma.

They need to know that they can't abuse passengers for such. It seems that the US rep wanted to CYA's sorta mentality by stating that if there are accusations of FAs on drugs, they must cancel the flight and be tested.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 7:25 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Wow, what a sad state of affairs.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 7:39 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please continue to follow this in our Travel Safety & Security forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz
Old Apr 27, 2007, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-gold, CO-gold, DL-GM, US-gold, HH-gold, SPG-plat, IC-plat, Hyatt-diamond
I see nearby passengers as being influenced - not intentionally lying

Originally Posted by Doppy

And I think you're owed some compensation for the US FAs who lied to the feds and filed a false report against you. This is not just bad customer service, it's illegal.

Big thumbs down to US; you should take your business elsewhere.
To be fair to the passengers around me, I do not think they lied. We were in the back corner of 1st class, and could see that NOBODY spoke to them before we were removed from the plane. We were later told by the FBI that the crew spoke to them, so it had to be immediately after we were removed, but before the police questioned the passengers.

Plus remember w/ the background noise of a taxiing plane our fellow passengers did overhear the words, 'speed', 'drug' & 'crew' -- what I do not believe they heard clearly was EVERY word that was said -- and when questioned by police, AFTER being briefed as to the flight attendants version, it would not be uncommon for any passenger to say what these passengers said. Also remember WE were the bad guys, everyone was missing their connections & meetings, and they saw us as the problem.

Planting their story was good strategy on the flight attendant’s part, because when 2 nearby passengers were questioned, their stories corroborated the flight attendants. The FBI agent implied he wanted the case to disappear before he arrived at the airport, but ALL 3 flight attendants were ADAMANT that we were guilty of 'interfering w/ their duties' -- the only prosecutable charge they could dream up -- because remember pointing out ANY safety risk, including suspicions of a crew member on drugs is not a prosecutable offense (as long as its not done maliciously).

What is amazing is that a flight crew would embellish and work so hard to pin what amounts to nothing, on two very passive, innocent people. I honestly believe ONLY the flight crew lied. It was also fascinating to see how ANYTHING said by a flight crew is at first considered gospel and beyond reproach, it is assumed that all passengers are lying to save themselves -- this flight crew knew the system and used it in every way they could to their advantage.

I would be interested in filing a complaint on the safety announcement, if anyone knows the procedure. Interestingly NOBODY from the US Air mgmt. who questioned us, nor the police, had ANY interest in pursuing the safety announcement.

I do not begrudge US Air at all, and will continue flying them without hesitation -- this only reflects on the human nature of the flight attendants, and I'm afraid the sad, sorry state of the safety systems that have evolved to 'protect' us.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 7:49 am

"But without cops, society would break down!!"

Or maybe... they will just break it down themselves.

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 30, 2007 at 11:28 pm Reason: Off-topic commentary removed
Old Apr 27, 2007, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Random_Flyer
Wow. Talk about idiotic behaviour on the part of the flight crew.
People backed by the monopoly power of the state will act accordingly.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CarpeDiem
First of all my apologies to the passengers of the 7 a.m. US Airways Flight 1926 from MCO (Orlando) to DCA, who were all delayed for a couple of hours.

Let me assure you that neither the stranger sitting beside me in first class, nor myself, EVER said that ANY crew member was on drugs.

This is what happened…

-The flight attendant did the safety announcement at LIGHTENING speed, and like it was some joke, in the middle started to draw out the words like a little child, then she immediately continued at lightening speed, not even allowing the flight attendants to properly demonstrate what she was explaining.

-I thought it was odd, not professional, and rude to the passengers – but hey, what is a passenger to expect these days

-A few minutes later I heard my seat mate ask another flight attendant (we later found out that she was the head attendant) for the name of the fast speaker, because he wanted to use her as a real life example in a speech on ‘attitudes’ the next day. He started off his conversation making the comment, "That was the fastest safety presentation I have heard in 3.5 million miles of traveling, was she on speed or something?"

-The head attendant talked calmly too him a couple minutes, looking embarrassed that a co-worker had performed that way, and left saying she would bring this up w/ the other attendant.

-The head attendant came back while we were taxiing on the runway to tell my seat mate to watch the words he uses in the future, because if an accusation is made that a flight attendant is on drugs, she has to tell the captain, who has to take the plane back and the entire crew gets drug tested.

-The man quickly clarified that he never said that she was on drugs, and for the first time I spoke up, emphasizing that he NEVER did accuse nor imply that anyone was on drugs, I repeated his analogy, dissecting it to show no accusation was made, and further pointed out that in my opinion nothing in his tone nor mannerism even implied this – I also took the opportunity to say the safety announcement was just plain wrong.

-The head attendant looked more perturbed, and said she was going to report this to the captain. My seat mate and I looked at each other, and then told her one more time that no accusation was made, nor implied about drug use. I sensed at this point that she had a desire to show her power in the situation.

-15 minutes later my seatmate and I were detained by the Orlando PD, waiting for the FBI & Homeland Security who were investigating us for ‘interfering with the duties of the flight crew.’ Now 3 flight attendants, and other passengers were saying that BOTH of us had made accusations of drug use. Before this was over the U.S. Attorney General was called to make the decision whether to prosecute us.

-Come to find out my seat mate is a motivational speaker like Tony Robbins, has published 4 books on attitude, and a very enjoyable person to spend several hours in detention with. Neither of us complained once about the half a day odyssey we were put through, and although shocked, we took it in stride.

-No charges were brought against us, we caught the next non-stop to DC, and the following valuable lessons were learned:

*The flight attendant should have read the safety announcement in the ‘normal’ style.
*My seatmate should have used the word ‘caffeine’ instead of ‘speed’
*I do not regret defending my seatmate, but I should have used a lower voice so other passengers would not have even heard occasional words, and as the FBI & Homeland Security informed us, any complaints should be made in writing after landing
*The head flight attendant should have accepted the insistence of 2 frequent flyer and well heeled passengers, that no drug use was being accused nor implied, and let the flight go on without incident

Bottom line fellow flyers: Add drugs to the list of words though shall not use on aircraft, and think twice about commenting on quality of service while on board – in the post 9/11 world flight crews wield a lot of power over your lives, and they know it.
I hope that you both got the name of the offending FA and the lead FA, and report them to the air line!
Old Apr 27, 2007, 8:03 am
Suspended

I'm reminded of the airplane scene from "Anger Management" when the Adam Sandler character can't say anything without it being misconstrued as hostility until he's finally booted off the plane for air rage. Yet as the OP demonstrates, truth is stranger than fiction.

US Airways just opened here in San Antonio a couple of months ago, and it appears to have a number of problems in the customer service arena.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.