Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points by Sheraton Kansas City Airport MCI [Master Thread]

Four Points by Sheraton Kansas City Airport MCI [Master Thread]

Old Apr 27, 2007, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Arrow Four Points by Sheraton Kansas City Airport MCI [Master Thread]

Thought I'd throw a review out there for this property since I haven't really seen any. Unfortunatley, KC has a limited selection of starwood properties (Westin Crown Center, Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza & Sheraton Overland Park @ Convention Center) and this addition really does not add much value or presence to the group.

Property History: Started as a Holiday Inn (1974) and was converted to a Clarion in 2003. During subsequent renovation, property was shut down by KC Health department in spring 2006 after they were alerted to the property removing infrastructure that contained asbestos:
The City of Kansas City, Mo., Health Department, acting on an anonymous telephone call received by the departments Air Quality Program on March 9, responded to the Clarion Hotel KCI (11832 N.W. Plaza Drive) and discovered workers were removing ceiling texture containing asbestos as part of a renovation project.

The renovation project had been under way for approximately 60 days, according to information obtained by air quality inspectors. The project involved the removal of asbestos containing ceiling texture from all five floors including hallways, common areas and guest rooms. Hotel representatives of the project had not notified the Health Department and failed to obtain the appropriate permit for the renovation project.

Guests, hotel employees and construction trade workers occupied the hotel during the renovation project. Yet, there were no engineering controls or barriers in place to protect the guests, occupants or workers from exposure to asbestos.

The project was immediately shut down and the areas were ordered closed off by health inspectors after these discoveries were made. All bulk samples taken by inspectors tested positive for asbestos.

Following air-sampling tests conducted by an independent contractor, the Clarion voluntarily shut down and all occupants were relocated.
Property then reopened in Sep 2006 as the Four Points after a $3.5 million renovation.

General property: Conveniently located near KCI Airport (MCI) with easy access to I29 & I435. Property has an "L" configuration and is surrounded by other hotels with the KCI Expo Center across the street. Plenty of close parking (free) is available and they have the usual airport shuttle. Building is a 5 story, full window building. Outdoor pool is inside the "L" configuration and there are a few meeting rooms as well as restaurant onsite. Overall property is in decent condition with a nice open lobby, although the restaurant area and hallways are somewhat worn.

Rooms: I have had four different rooms, all located on the 5th floor. All the rooms have been clean and have the Four Points bedding upgrade. Furniture in the rooms has been somewhat worn, and each room has had a mis-match of furniture in it...perhaps due to the change in brands recently. Some rooms have bright woods with the TV in a cabinet, and others have dark woods with the TV on top of a dresser or some mix of the two. Lamps have been mis-matched as well. Two of the desks had broken legs, but were still sturdy and one of the TV cabinets had a part broke off that was laying on top of it. (all rooms were king, non-smoking). Each room included a fridge that has always been clean and in good condition. Bathrooms are somewhat cramped with two having drain issues (have overheard other guests complaining about this during check in and check out so it seems to be a property wide issue). Curved shower rod gives the extra room and hot water has always been plentiful. A/C units are the old in window variety, and again, can vary by room. Some are controlled via thermostats on the wall (which despite the settings, you can not turn off of high) and some are controlled at the unit (where you can control fan speed). Either way, both varieties are loud and unfortunatley if you want to keep the room cool, can not be turned off as the rooms heat back up very quickly....a problem of the full windows I presume. Since I need the cool air to sleep, I have to deal with the loudness. Soundproofing from the other rooms and airport noise is marginal...with the a/c on, I never notice it.

Employees: Nearly every employee I have encountered has been friendly and happy to help with the exception of one desk clerk. Housekeeping requests have been attended to quickly and with a smile. There does seem to be high turnover, indicated by the "new" employees encountered each time and the big "now hiring" banner they have out front .

Overall it is not a horrible property, but not the best either. If you just need a place to sleep for a decent rate, it will suffice. If you have the expectation of high quality or a Westin or W experience, you will be disappointed (as you should considering 4Points makes no attempt to hide or disguise what they provide). Parking & internet (wireless only) are free as is bottled water. I would not pay rack rates for this during the week (usually $120 or so) but you can often get this property for $40 on PL. Weekend rates tend to be better at $60-$80, but again, they are underbidding the other 3*'s in this zone for $40 usually.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 6:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
thanks for the review, I will probably use this property as I can get it under per diem, i like the free parking and internet too.. the rest I can deal with
Old Sep 10, 2007, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
I disliked this property.

Frontline staff was good, room service was prompt (about 10 minute wait), but the room (206) was not too clean and had a VERY loud a/c unit.

I will not be going back.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 7:47 am

Programs: SPG Plat , AAdvantage Plat
Originally Posted by ECOTONE
Frontline staff was good ...... had a VERY loud a/c unit.
I was there last week . Same issue with the A/C unit in 4 Floor.
Free Wireless Internet , good signal , good speed.
Regards.
Carlos.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 6:54 pm

Programs: TWA Platinum Ambassador, Eastern Stratosphere, NWA Gold Elite
Had a good stay in the KC Four Points (airport) a few days ago.

Asked about a complimentary upgrade....

"Oh, Mr. XXXX, I see you are a Gold member"

Got a nice quiet and clean room away from all of the noise. Looked like it had been completely refurbished recently including the bathroom.

This was on points on a Friday night at a category 1 which I consider basically free. Asked about a good KC barbecue place and was directed to an excellent place only a few minutes away.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by czj48
Had a good stay in the KC Four Points (airport) a few days ago.

Asked about a complimentary upgrade....

"Oh, Mr. XXXX, I see you are a Gold member"

Got a nice quiet and clean room away from all of the noise. Looked like it had been completely refurbished recently including the bathroom.

This was on points on a Friday night at a category 1 which I consider basically free. Asked about a good KC barbecue place and was directed to an excellent place only a few minutes away.
what was the BBQ place nearby?
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ethang801
what was the BBQ place nearby?
I would imagine either Smokehouse BBQ which is located in the Zona Rosa shopping area or Smoke Box BBQ which is located at the Tiffany Springs exit on I-29. Smoke Box is closer, about a 4-5 minute drive, Smokehouse is a little further south, about 5-7 minutes via I-29.

My vote would go to Smokehouse though, they are much better than Smoke Box in my opinion.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:49 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I had a recent one night stay. I normally stay closer to downtown but only needed one night and this place had a pre-paid rate of $55 per night which was hard to pass up.

My flight was delayed arriving into MCI so I called the hotel to find out how late they served food. I was told 10PM, I was expecting to have to go searching after check in but come to find out the hotel restaurant Tanners (which has several locations in kc) is open till midnight daily and it is room service that ends at 10PM. Worked out well for me.

Check in was quick and easy, nothing much on offer to a plat expect the $250 points. I did get a corner room which appears to be bigger because it has a large entry way but the actual usable space is the same as any other room I think so no real room upgrade here.

I did not use the shuttle but the flight crew from my flight did and they arrived just before me arriving from the rental car facility but I would guess you need to call for pick up.

I did use the fitness area and it had some nice machines with LCD TV's and some weights to use. Pretty nice really.

The rooms are nice, seems new and probably as good as you are going to get at a Four Points. I just hate the Four Points pillows but that is nothing against this property.

If I start to travel regularly to KC I think I may stay my first night at this property as I arrive the night before and then the following nights at another to help with the stay count.

Overall I cant imagine a better experience at an airport Four Points. I would definitely rank this property above the Crowne Center Westin which I found pretty sad for a Westin especially at the rate.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 1:05 pm

Not Impressed...

Stayed here on 11/30 after spending Thanksgiving in KC/OP and needed a quick night before my early morning flight at KCI. Was given a room w/ 2 doubles and got the wake up call but the bathtub was slow to drain which was really irritating. The bathroom counter was really small too. This was my 1st time at a 4 points since staying in Charlotte a while back and I'm not a huge fan of the blankets ont he 4 comfort bed. Overall, not bad for my $65 (Sunday Night) rate but I might lean towards Hyatt Place next time. I'm impressed after spending two nights in STL (now a Marriott) and Crowne Centre for their FFN promotion.

-OilersNC
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:30 am
Community Director Emerita

We stayed here on night 1 and 3 of a 3 night stay in Kansas City. At roughly $60/night, it worked well for us. On the third night, we turned in our rental car and used the van to the airport in the morning. This allowed us to save time and money.

The lobby is pleasant. There are two computer terminals, one with a printer. There is a restaurant open til 10pm and a bar with snacks open til midnight. My husband was able to go in, get food, and bring it to the room, avoiding the room service charge.

The hotel has one suite. We were given it on both nights. On the third night, I know there were quite a number of platinums in house. Thus, it was our great fortune to get the suite, but certainly not something a plat can expect. The suite was comfortable. It was on the first floor, overlooking the outside pool (though with no exterior egress). It had a spacious living room, an L shaped bedroom, with the narrow leg having two chairs and a TV, and a compact bathroom. The bathroom had both a jacuzzi tub as well as a walk in shower.

The hotel is a bit tricky to find on driving to it, with no visible signage on the freeway, nor signage available from the surface road that runs parallel with the freeway. It is on a loop road between the two.

The Harley Davidson factory is 1 mile away, and offers tours on weekdays at 9am.

There are no restaurants in the immediate area.

We had free internet and one bottle of water in the room.

Northwest uses the hotel for their crew.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
My thoughts.

I was not impressed at all by this hotel aka motel. The first room I was given was not cleaned. The second room had exposed wires at the ac unit, soiled linens outside the door, "stuff" on the blanket and soiled arm chair / ottoman. I went downstairs before going to the DO to point these things out. The agent found me another room on 5 and moved my stuff while I was gone. The price was right but something just struck me totally wrong about this place.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 5:58 pm

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
500 Bonus points - Survey

Just a heads up: hotel is giving one page questionnaires to rate the stay and mine some demographic information from guests and rewarding the effort with 500 SPG points. It's really simple. I asked the clerk if I checked in again in a few days if I would get another survey and another 500 points. She said yes. She did not know how long the promotion was going to last.

Hotel is also participating in SPG's 1K points / stay. So if you play your cards right, you can get 1,500 bonus points just for one night here. Not bad.

This is my first time at the 4P MCI and overall reactions are very good.

The front desk staff is extremely welcoming to me as plat member. Room is just fine, I'd say it's on par with most Hamptons. Though, my stay here is about $25 cheaper per night than the Hampton Inn down the road. Was given a room on the 5th floor in the very corner of the building -- quiet.

Room service was quick and palatable.

IMHO some of the reviews about this property are unfounded. Granted this hotel is not on the same level with the Westin Crown Center or the Sheraton OP, but you get exactly what you pay for.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
The thing to beware of with this hotel is if you are planning to take the hotel shuttle to the airport early in the morning (5-6am or so). There are tremendous numbers of flight staff there and they quickly filled the two shuttles available. Another person staying there and I ended up having the front desk call a taxi so we could get to the airport in a reasonable amount of time. So if you try to take the shuttle get down early and bolt onto it ASAP.

Otherwise, a perfectly acceptable property for the price/points.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 9:43 am

Programs: STARWOOD PLAT, LT GOLD,WN A-LIST PREFERRED, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE
WOW - poor training

Not the end of the world by no means but just could not believe what I was hearing. The guest in front of me had already checked in and was complaining that he did not recieve a room with a "FLAT" screen TV. So the fornt desk lady aopologozed and explained that all the Rooms had already been booked. But to make it up for him they would give him a suite with a REG TV. So i am thinking well as a PLAT I figured I was preassigned one of those Flat screen rooms. I got my room of course i am on the STARWOOD PREFERRED floor which we all no is not a big deal. Walk in my room and there it sits a 1985 model TV. No suite. What really bothers me is the total lack of respect given me and PLATS. Now if it was my guess with this being a AIRLINE EMPLOYEE hotel the pilots get all the nice rooms. My only issue is try and be mroe discreet and no i did not raise HECK not worth if the room was fine/clean.

Just *wood thinks that a higher floor is an upgarde and really IMO it sure is not
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by nachoman205
Not the end of the world by no means but just could not believe what I was hearing. The guest in front of me had already checked in and was complaining that he did not recieve a room with a "FLAT" screen TV. So the fornt desk lady aopologozed and explained that all the Rooms had already been booked. But to make it up for him they would give him a suite with a REG TV. So i am thinking well as a PLAT I figured I was preassigned one of those Flat screen rooms. I got my room of course i am on the STARWOOD PREFERRED floor which we all no is not a big deal. Walk in my room and there it sits a 1985 model TV. No suite. What really bothers me is the total lack of respect given me and PLATS. Now if it was my guess with this being a AIRLINE EMPLOYEE hotel the pilots get all the nice rooms. My only issue is try and be mroe discreet and no i did not raise HECK not worth if the room was fine/clean.

Just *wood thinks that a higher floor is an upgarde and really IMO it sure is not
Where exactly what the lack of respect? I've stayed at this hotel many times and have always been treated great. Just because one did not get a suite as a Platinum does not mean you were not given respect. It is only your assumption that airline employees are getting preferred treatment over Plats. It's a Cat 1 hotel, so one should not have expectations that they will be getting a flat screen television. I've stayed at cat 5 hotels that were using tube tv's.

Most people who stay at the hotel actually prefer a 1st floor room over the SPG floor because of the easy access in and out of the hotel. SPG Gold and Plats get a free drink at the bar for each stay. Next time you should check the website or ask if a suite room is available if you feel that you have not been given an upgrade to the best available room. You can also ask to speak with the front desk manager Jason. Overall for the price, this hotel is an excellent value, only wished they had a free breakfast.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.