Wiki Posts
Search

AS Ends SFO-SAN

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2007, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat
AS Ends SFO-SAN

The route is not bookable on www.alaskaair.com from the fall.

This decision is probably preemptive, reacting to the probable entry of WN and Virgin America on the route.
Old May 4, 2007, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
That was quick.
Old May 4, 2007, 10:59 am

Unfortunetly not enough Bay area converts.
Old May 4, 2007, 11:06 am

So much for AS protecting WC turf. I guess SFO-SAN was not turf worth protecting though.
Old May 4, 2007, 12:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
The fares have been very low, and there have even been empty seats in F !
Old May 4, 2007, 3:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Probably smart for AS to put those planes on more lucrative routings with WN and Virgin America almost being a certainty on the SFO-SAN route.
Old May 4, 2007, 3:57 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
Originally Posted by Chugach
Probably smart for AS to put those planes on more lucrative routings with WN and Virgin America almost being a certainty on the SFO-SAN route.
I don't know if WN or Virgin factor into it (they might...I just don't know) but I do know that our summer schedule includes 20 nonstop r/t's between ANC and SEA daily. I guess those aircraft have to come from somewhere!
Old May 4, 2007, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
I was talking to some employees sitting in F on a recent SFO-SAN trip (that tells you how empty F was), and the consensus was that AS had not done enough to promote the new SFO-SAN service. Many regular AS passengers they talked to did not even know AS flew this route. I personally can't remember seeing one advertisement, billboard, or even much mention of it on the AS website except right at the very beginning.

Of the SFO-SAN flights I've taken, several have been pretty much full, including last Fri eve. Certain others were quite empty, but empirically, it would appear loads have been improving this spring. 100% upgrade success of course. I'm kind of surprised AS isn't downgrading this route to Horizon CRJs.

Other question is, will AS bring back the SAN-YVR flight non-stop? SAN-YVR has been running as a one-stop through SFO since the new service began end of October. So, basically an 11 month run, since it is not bookable after Sept 30.
Old May 4, 2007, 4:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by eastwest
I don't know if WN or Virgin factor into it (they might...I just don't know) but I do know that our summer schedule includes 20 nonstop r/t's between ANC and SEA daily. I guess those aircraft have to come from somewhere!

20 non-stops/day for ANC-SEA is standard for summer. Last year they had 19 according to the BTS database. Also, SFO-SAN is bookable through Sept 30. That said, I really hope AS has created a workable summer schedule. AS has been scheduling longer turn times over the past 9 months or so, and I hope this continues into the summer, because AS has a history of operational troubles during the summer months, and things could get messy depending on how the pilot negotiations go...
Old May 4, 2007, 4:30 pm

I think its was more of preemptive move to START the market before WN and Virgin America are up and running. But I think the traffic never materialized -- there were constant $34 ow available. Plus I never saw any promotion of it in the Bay Area.

I am sad to see this Alaska option go away -- but SFO flyers have been addicted to SFOSAN on United since WN left SFO in 2001.
Old May 4, 2007, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeaSfoWeekly
I think its was more of preemptive move to START the market before WN and Virgin America are up and running. But I think the traffic never materialized -- there were constant $34 ow available. Plus I never saw any promotion of it in the Bay Area.

I am sad to see this Alaska option go away -- but SFO flyers have been addicted to SFOSAN on United since WN left SFO in 2001.
I actually think that most of the SFO-SAN traffic shifted to OAK/SJC-SAN when WN left SFO in 2001. AS could have reclaimed some of that traffic had it actually promoted this route as an alternative to flying from OAK.
Old May 4, 2007, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
That was quick.
Yeah. That was a real quick because AS has been discontinues its 4x daily roundtrip from SFO-SAN. I'm sure WN will entry into SFO-SAN will take care of them.
Old May 4, 2007, 6:01 pm

It can be argued that more promotion and advertising could have been done, but a lot was, radio and newspaper. We got the leisure, but the business stayed on OA. Not a good sign. Given AS limited pressence in the Bay Area, the cost of doing more advertising would have been enormous. Its a very expensive ad market with a lot of noise from VA....people are distracted.

A return to SAN-YVR is highly unlikely. Focus is on defending and building the core franchise, that being the PNW markets. I wouldn't rule out QX doing more California in the future....stay tuned.

Originally Posted by rjque
I actually think that most of the SFO-SAN traffic shifted to OAK/SJC-SAN when WN left SFO in 2001. AS could have reclaimed some of that traffic had it actually promoted this route as an alternative to flying from OAK.
Old May 4, 2007, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Wonder what they're gonna do with us. We're booked in Nov. on a SFO-SAN RT on a cheap revenue ticket.

Will they route us thru PDX/SEA or put us on UA.

Right now the flights are still loaded, but zeroed out, so their intention is pretty clear.
Old May 4, 2007, 10:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by SeaSfoWeekly

For me it was competing against AA SAN-SJC; unfortunately they didn't have an early enough flight to make it work as a day trip, so I have only used it if I had to be in the office by 8am, and so had to fly up the night before.

*A flyers will take UA SFO-SAN; OW will probably take AA SJC-SAN. And a bizarre number of people I know favor southwest. AS doesn't have enough of a core customer base at either end to make it work; but it was a nice change from the CRJ while it lasted....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.