Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Brown-Nosing Question: How EXACTLY should I give my FC seat away to a colleague?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brown-Nosing Question: How EXACTLY should I give my FC seat away to a colleague?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2007, 1:53 pm
RNE
Original Poster

I'm flying somewhere to oversee a business matter. Meeting me there will be a VP from my company (arriving by train from another city). He and I will be returning to CLE together on the same CO flight. I've already been upgraded to FC on that flight. The VP has had hip replacements and suffers from chronic back pain. I would like to offer my FC seat for his (he has no elite status). Assuming he accepts my gracious offer to give up my FC seat (and he has not paid for a FC seat outright...VPs have the life, ya'know), do I simply hand him my boarding pass before boarding and tell him to walk on as me when FC is called? I assume the FAs know the names of all the FC passengers, right? But they have never checked names on board, not that I've seen. Do I go on with my FC pass but tell the FA someone else will take my seat? Or what? Please coach me on this in detail! I don't want to make any mistakes that might embarrass him or me. I like my job!
Old May 6, 2007, 1:56 pm

Programs: continental
No advice, but I think that is a very kind and generous thing to do! I love that you are doing this!! What a great guy (or gal) you are!
Old May 6, 2007, 1:58 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Step 1: Make sure the VP is not in a middle seat if you're going to swap with him.
Old May 6, 2007, 2:55 pm

Programs: CO Platinum
Why not just wait until general boarding and board together? Hold on to your own boarding pass, and tell him to take your FC seat once on the plane.
Old May 6, 2007, 2:56 pm
Suspended

is this a continental question or a question that is really applicable to any airline?

just switch boarding passes. you should be fine. particularly on domestic flights, FAs rarely greet passengers by name (nor will they care).
Old May 6, 2007, 3:39 pm
Suspended

there might have been a problem if you were gonna be switching with the other person (keep it general) evry hour or so. The FAs will usually allow You to change 1 time with someone and that doesnt include reswitching back (depending on length of the flight).

You should switch BPs and let him/her board as if its You. At times I was able to take someone else with me to board once I told the GA I was going to be switching seats and just wanted to get them settled in. They went on as a FC pass, and I simply showed my Plat card , I explained what I did since 'Plat' wasnt going to be the BP I was then using.

Hey its a light load , maybe you can get the VP uped as your companion and that way You both end up in FC
Old May 6, 2007, 3:50 pm

have him board with you during FC boarding. i always just tell the gate agent that the person is traveling with me and ask if it was ok if they boarded with me. never had a problem.

then switch BP's. make sure you've added him to the companion list. if he has your seat, simply listen for his name to be called or be sure to have his BP when an agent brings you his new one. then you're both up front.
Old May 6, 2007, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Very nice thing you want to do! You say colleague in the title but he actually holds a position higher than you, correct?

Perhaps go to the GA, explain what you would like to do and have her manually switch the seats so his name is on the FC one. Then go back to whereever you are seated (in the waiting area or PC) and indicate that there had been some new seating assignments (or whatever you want to say - make something up.. lol). Then say no more about it. This may take the direct heat off you while still giving you some credit as the message bearer.

Also - as you indicated this may be a non-issue since he is a VP and may already have an FC seat.

Regardless - last thing you want to do, as you already indicated, would be to make him feel uncomfortable. Worst case - go back to coach and sit with him.
Old May 6, 2007, 4:08 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
I would keep the seat and watch him walk to the back of the plane with a smirk on my face!
Old May 6, 2007, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by theblakefish
I would keep the seat and watch him walk to the back of the plane with a smirk on my face!

LOL! And while I am sure that is what many of us would prefer when traveling with upper management.. it would be unfortunate for said VP to have the same smirk on his face while the ever generous RNE walked to the back of the unemployment line.
Old May 6, 2007, 6:00 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Who cares - I mean - really?
Old May 6, 2007, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Here's an honest answer. Because of your status, FC is truly old hat, so you thought you'd share the wealth. My friends and family are always quite happy to buy this one...
Old May 6, 2007, 6:46 pm

Call his assistant before the trip and find out where his seat is.
Old May 6, 2007, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Flyer_70
it would be unfortunate for said VP to have the same smirk on his face while the ever generous RNE walked to the back of the unemployment line.
Think about it -- more time to post on FT
Old May 7, 2007, 12:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I had the exact opposite thing happen to me. I walk onto a plane at some ungodly hour on a Saturday morning. I stumble to my seat and there is some lady sitting in it. I mumble something and all of a sudden my boss's boss turns around. He is there with his wife and 2 kids and he has been bumped to first.

Of course, his wife will have no part of him sitting up front while she handles 2 kids (and she didn't trust him enough to sit up front herself), and my seat was right in the same block as the rest of them. So he asks if I will be kind enough to switch with him. Being on better than good terms, I call him a sucker and grab his FC BP. I resisted the urge to drink myself silly and helped them find their connection at IAH.

Last edited by pbarnette; May 7, 2007 at 12:05 am Reason: sp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.