Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barger replaces Neeleman as CEO

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2007, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Barger replaces Neeleman

NEW YORK, May 10 (Reuters) - JetBlue Airways Corp. (JBLU.O: Quote, Profile , Research) on Thursday pushed out founder David Neeleman as chief executive three months after a service meltdown.

JetBlue said he would carry on as non-executive chairman playing a more strategic role.

The budget carrier replaced Neeleman, 47, with president and chief operating officer Dave Barger, 49, effective immediately.

Reuters Pictures

Editors Choice: Best pictures
from the last 24 hours.
View Slideshow

The sudden change in leadership comes after JetBlue suffered an embarrassing service disruption on Feb. 14 that exposed weaknesses in the seven-year-old airline's operations.

A Valentine's Day ice storm stranded passengers on planes for hours, led to nearly 1,200 flight cancellations over several days, and cost the company more than $30 million.

"The board suggested to David that he could best serve the company in a more strategic role. David agreed," JetBlue spokeswoman Jenny Dervin said. "The conversation was initiated by the board."

Reuters 2007. All Rights Reserved.
Old May 10, 2007, 8:09 am

Barger replaces Neeleman

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...aces-ceo_N.htm
Old May 10, 2007, 8:11 am

WOW.

B6 press release:

JetBlue Airways Names Dave Barger President and Chief Executive Officer; Founder David Neeleman Will Continue to Serve as Chairman of the Board
NEW YORK, May 10, 2007 (PRIME NEWSWIRE) -- JetBlue Airways (Nasdaq:JBLU) announces the appointment of Dave Barger to the position of Chief Executive Officer, effective immediately. In addition, Mr. Barger retains his responsibilities as President. David Neeleman, JetBlue's founder and Chief Executive Officer since 1998, will serve JetBlue as non-executive Chairman of the Board.

"This is a natural evolution of our leadership structure as JetBlue continues to grow," Mr. Neeleman said. "As Chairman of the Board of Directors, I will focus on developing JetBlue's long-term vision and strategy, and how we can continue to be a preferred product in a commodity business."

"I am honored to serve JetBlue in this capacity, and I thank David for his leadership," Mr. Barger said. "The strength of JetBlue has always been our crewmembers. We believe that when we take care of our people, and make sure they have the right tools and resources, customers will choose us first every time. I look forward to a very bright future for our crewmembers, our customers and our shareholders."

Mr. Neeleman founded JetBlue as Chief Executive Officer in 1998 and became Chairman of the Board of Directors in 2002. Mr. Barger joined JetBlue in August 1998 as President and Chief Operating Officer. The airline first took to the skies in February 2000. Since then, the low-fare airline based in New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport has grown to 52 destinations with more than 575 daily flights.

New York-based JetBlue Airways has created a new airline category based on value, service and style. Known for its award-winning service and free TV as much as its low fares, JetBlue is now pleased to offer customers the most legroom throughout coach (based on average fleet-wide seat pitch for U.S. airlines). JetBlue is also America's first and only airline to offer its own Customer Bill of Rights, with meaningful compensation for customers inconvenienced by service disruptions within JetBlue's control. Visit www.jetblue.com/promise for details. JetBlue serves 52 cities with up to 575 daily flights. With JetBlue, all seats are assigned, all travel is ticketless, all fares are one-way, and an overnight stay is never required. For information or reservations call 1-800-JETBLUE (1-800-538-2583) or visit www.jetblue.com.

JetBlue's 36 channels of DIRECTV(r) service is not available on flights outside the continental United States; however, where applicable, FOX InFlight(tm) is offered complimentary on these routes. FOX InFlight(tm) is a trademark of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation. JetBlue's in-flight entertainment is powered by LiveTV, a wholly owned subsidiary of JetBlue.

The JetBlue logo is available at http://www.primenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=795

This press release contains statements of a forward-looking nature which represent our management's beliefs and assumptions concerning future events. Forward-looking statements involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions, and are based on information currently available to us. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed in the forward-looking statements due to many factors, including, without limitation, our extremely competitive industry; increases in fuel prices, maintenance costs and interest rates; our ability to implement our growth strategy, including the ability to operate reliably the EMBRAER 190 aircraft; our significant fixed obligations; our ability to attract and retain qualified personnel and maintain our culture as we grow; our reliance on high daily aircraft utilization; our dependence on the New York metropolitan market; our reliance on automated systems and technology; our being subject to potential unionization; our reliance on a limited number of suppliers; changes in or additional government regulation; changes in our industry due to other airlines' financial condition; and external geopolitical events and conditions. Further information concerning these and other factors is contained in the Company's Securities and Exchange Commission filings, including but not limited to, the Company's 2006 Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q. We undertake no obligation to update any forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances that may arise after the date of this release.

Originally Posted by CALflyboi
"The board suggested to David that he could best serve the company in a more strategic role. David agreed," JetBlue spokeswoman Jenny Dervin said. "The conversation was initiated by the board."
Hi Jenny!
Old May 10, 2007, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Wow. That is big news.

What do the B6 employees here think about this? My understanding was that you folks were pretty happy with Neeleman generally, no?
Old May 10, 2007, 8:52 am

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
I'm not sure what to think yet. Both are great guys and both really want to see this airline move forward. After the whole Feb 14th disaster, I had a feeling something like this would happen. I think Dave Barger will do an awsome job leading the company. Nice to see a fellow Michigander runing the 8th largest airline in the US
Old May 10, 2007, 8:58 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I had to check the date to make sure it wasn't April 1. I'm stunned.
Old May 10, 2007, 9:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy (Titanium) . Delta (Platinum)
The stock shot up 6% on the news.

Maybe he should just leave altogether...
Old May 10, 2007, 9:03 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
I'm rather suprised as well. I knew they were making changes to improve things at B6, but I would have never thought this one would have one of them.

Side note: I merged the two threads into one just to keep things somewhat organized and on track.
Old May 10, 2007, 9:08 am
Suspended

I guess with the stock hitting $9.72 on Monday, the powers to be wanted to protect their a$$(et$)

Lets not forget that Neeleman had already started up and sold off at least 2 Carriers. Maybe thats what he is good at and not running them after they are up and going
Old May 10, 2007, 9:22 am

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
I wonder if this was planned when Barger was replaced as COO a few weeks ago....
Old May 10, 2007, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by dinosims
I wonder if this was planned when Barger was replaced as COO a few weeks ago....
I assume Dave Barger will be stepping down as COO. Any word on who's taking the COO position.
Old May 10, 2007, 9:35 am

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Originally Posted by Seat13c
I assume Dave Barger will be stepping down as COO. Any word on who's taking the COO position.
This was announced a few weeks ago....Russ Chew is taking the position.

EDIT:: OK, so it was more than a few weeks ago - here's the thread from Mar 7th http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=668668

Last edited by dinosims; May 10, 2007 at 9:50 am Reason: Added Link
Old May 10, 2007, 9:37 am

Programs: JetBlue Trueblue, Amtrak Guest Rewards, United Mileageplus, AAdvantage, Starwood Preferred Guest
I was quite shocked when I noticed this on the news. I'm really not quite sure what to think. In a few weeks, I'm scheduled to become a B6 employee myself (AO/BTV) - I leave for training a little less than two weeks from today.

I always felt as if Neelman was jetBlue, much as I feel Steve Jobs is Apple. Granted, I'm sure Neelman will still be an active part of the airline, and stepping down as CEO allows him to shield himself from flak from the press about day to day operational decisions. Considering that Barger has been with the airline from the begining, I think he will be able to continue jetBlue's reputation for customer service, but I am sad to see Neelman stepping down.
Old May 10, 2007, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by dinosims
This was announced a few weeks ago....Russ Chew is taking the position.
Wow...talk about memory lapses. That totally slipped my mind but that move makes a lot more sense now with Neeleman and Barger switching up roles.
Old May 10, 2007, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I think it's the best possible news for the airline. The unique skills required to conceive and start a business are utterly different from those required to run and grow a stable one. By stepping down Neeleman is probably saving his baby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.