Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Key West (resort) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Key West (resort) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2006, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Arrow Westin Key West (resort) [Master Thread]

Just noticed on the *W site that a new Westin is listed for Key West Florida. http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...ropertyID=1780
I tried to figure out where the hotel could be located and assumed that maybe they were changing the Sheraton to a Westin. Come to find out the address matches the Hilton Key West. http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/i...tyhocn=EYWKWHF
Very interesting and IMHO very good ! I stayed there once and overall it was okay. Nothing to rant about but also no real complaints. Only thing I am worried about is that I would guess that *W would make this a Cat. 5 hotel considering that the Sheraton is a Cat. 4.

Last edited by christianj; Jul 6, 2006 at 8:32 am
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4 diamond, not bad.

Opening July 31, so was there much of a transition? Or they just switched brand overnight?
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:46 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Yeah, I guess this is good. However, I'd give this hotel a B- rating on the whole. The location is simply superb (for EYW), and the facilities are fine, I just am a little surprised to see this property looking to reflag over to Westin. To my wee mind, it just doesn't seem like a Westin hotel.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:43 am

Great location for visiting Duval street and the sunset celebration, but I agree the hotel does not justify the Westin name. I have stayed at both the Hilton and the Sheraton suites, and other than the location, I actually find the Sheraton more comfortable and luxurious.

Also I wonder what happens to the Sunset key cottages, did Hilton sold those to Starwood too?
Old Jul 5, 2006, 5:25 pm

Wgat about thye Suset Key rooms? are they also now Westin or do they stay Hilton? The best part of this hotel was the Sunset Key privileges.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 8:26 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Now accepting reservations for arrival on or after July 31, 2006

Except that all the rates that I see so far are for RACK rate starting at $595. If not using points, I assume that the better way to reserve a room right now is to book it at hilton.com and hope that it transfers over when the brand changes.

A very welcome addition. I just hope that it isn't always out of my price range.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 4:34 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
<<guess that *W would make this a Cat. 5 hotel >>

Correct. Award booking for October shows Category 5, 12000 points per night. I imagine it will require more points in high season.

dennis
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by PCheng
Also I wonder what happens to the Sunset key cottages, did Hilton sold those to Starwood too?
Looks like the Sunset Key Cottages are also moving over to *W:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...ropertyID=1781

No mention of SPG award redemptions for the cottages on the current page!
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:06 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
The Westin Brand Rejuvenates Key West; The Westin Key West Resort & Marina Debuts on July 31st

WHITE PLAINS, NY--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 24, 2006--Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE:HOT) and Ocean Properties, Ltd. Hotels & Resorts announce plans to reflag the Hilton Key West Resort & Marina to The Westin Key West Resort & Marina. The hotel will fly the Westin flag beginning July 31, 2006, and during the next two years will undergo a multi-million dollar extensive renovation to meet the upper-upscale standards of the Westin brand. In addition to the 178 guestrooms and suites of the hotel, the conversion will also include the Sunset Key Guest Cottages a Westin Resort, with 37 luxurious residential-style accommodations exclusively situated on a private island just 500 yards off-shore. Ocean Properties Ltd. owns and manages the property and the resort will be franchised as a Westin under a long-term license agreement.

"We're thrilled to be part of this highly-regarded resort in such an ideal setting," said Sue Brush, senior vice president, Westin Hotels & Resorts. "The Westin focus on quality and innovation combined with an extensive renovation of all guestrooms, meeting space and public spaces will enhance the resort even further and provide a truly memorable experience for our guests."

"We are excited to welcome Westin to our collection of outstanding hotels and to Key West," said Tom McMurrain, vice president for Ocean Properties. "The Westin brand certainly carries with it a reputation for superior quality and service, and we look forward to setting new standards for the destination with this change. The properties have a loyal guest base and we are very excited to unveil the new product to this discriminating clientele, as well as welcoming new travelers through the Starwood network and Starwood Preferred Guest."

Located on the waterfront and one walking block from fabled Duval Street and Mallory Square, The Westin Key West Resort & Marina is one of the Conch Republic's top destination resorts. The hotel offers deluxe guestrooms and suites, more than 16,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor function space, multiple dining options, heated pool and a full-service, 36-slip marina with a complete range of watersports. In addition, the resort operates one of the country's largest private ports, welcoming cruise ships to the destination daily.

Situated on a private island just offshore of the main hotel and accessible only by boat, Sunset Key Guest Cottages features elegantly appointed one, two and three-bedroom cottages all with an equipped kitchen, living and dining areas and are designed in traditional Key West architecture. Acclaimed annually by Travel & Leisure and Conde Nast Traveler magazines as one of the country's top resorts, Sunset Key offers superior amenities and services such as a secluded beach, unique tropical pool, restaurant, tennis courts, grocery shopping service and personal chef service and the convenience of 24-hour launch transportation to Key West.

Guests of The Westin Key West Resort & Marina and Sunset Key Guest Cottages a Westin Resort can sink into the Westin Heavenly Bed(R) and will be refreshed by the Heavenly Bath(R). Guestrooms will boast amenities and services that cater to business and leisure travelers alike with Westin style and design. The new Westin brand positioning is centered on RENEWAL, and offers guests the services, products and amenities that will help them rejuvenate, relax and restore their mind, body and spirit. In keeping with this brand message, all Westin hotels in the U.S., Canada and the Caribbean are smoke-free.

Westin Hotels & Resorts, with 121 hotels and resorts in 31 countries and territories, is owned by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. and was ranked "Highest in Guest Satisfaction Among Upscale Hotels Chains." in the J.D. Power and Associates' 2004 North America Hotel Guest Satisfaction Study(SM) and voted Best Domestic Hotel Chain by Global Traveler Magazine. Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. is one of the leading hotel and leisure companies in the world with approximately 850 properties in more than 95 countries and 145,000 employees at its owned and managed properties. Starwood(R) Hotels is a fully integrated owner, operator and franchisor of hotels and resorts with the following internationally renowned brands: St. Regis(R), The Luxury Collection(R), Sheraton(R), Westin(R), Four Points(R) by Sheraton, W(R), Le Meridien(R) and the recently announced Aloft(SM). Starwood Hotels also owns Starwood Vacation Ownership, Inc., one of the premier developers and operators of high quality vacation interval ownership resorts. For more information, please visit www.starwoodhotels.

With corporate headquarters in Delray Beach, Florida; Portsmouth, New Hampshire; and Montreal and Toronto, Canada; Ocean Properties Ltd. Hotels & Resorts is one of the country's largest privately-owned franchisers of hotels and resorts. The company currently owns and operates properties throughout North America including franchised hotels such as: Marriott, Westin, Hilton, AmeriSuites, Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn by Marriott, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Days Inn, Fairfield Inn by Marriott, Sheraton, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, and Ramada. For more information on Ocean Properties Ltd., please click to www.oplhotels.com.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:45 am

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Sunset Key Cottages looks amazing, but given the $800 to $2k price point it is difficult to imagine that it will be available for anything less than Bora Bora point levels, if it even participates in SPG. I guess there is always hope...

SG
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:50 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Snow Goose
Sunset Key Cottages looks amazing, but given the $800 to $2k price point it is difficult to imagine that it will be available for anything less than Bora Bora point levels, if it even participates in SPG. I guess there is always hope...

SG
Sunset Key Cottages is going to participate in SPG as a Category 6 property. It will be a standard Category 6 redemption option, not a suite redemption option.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:22 am

Programs: CO, Starwood, AA, DL, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Sunset Key Cottages is going to participate in SPG as a Category 6 property. It will be a standard Category 6 redemption option, not a suite redemption option.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
William,
Any idea if you can upgrade from the resort to the cottages, or if Westin will continue the Hilton's tradition of allowing you to buy daily access to the island for $10? And is there any beach for Westin guests?
Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by rhermoso
William,
Any idea if you can upgrade from the resort to the cottages, or if Westin will continue the Hilton's tradition of allowing you to buy daily access to the island for $10? And is there any beach for Westin guests?
Thanks!
As far as I can tell, you would not be able to upgrade from the resort to the cottages. These are being operated as two separate resorts.

I don't know if they will continue Hilton's policy regarding island access for $10.

There does not appear to be any kind of beach facilities for the Sunset Key Cottages or The Westin Key West Resort & Marina.

For a definitive answer on these and other questions regarding these two properties, it might be best to contact the resorts themselves:

[email protected]
[email protected]

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker; Jul 31, 2006 at 1:30 pm
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:02 pm

Programs: CO, Starwood, AA, DL, Hilton, Marriott
Thanks, William, but the Westin email address bounces back. Are they having some technical difficulties?
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by rhermoso
Thanks, William, but the Westin email address bounces back. Are they having some technical difficulties?
I can't imagine that having to put some of the email address in capital letters would really matter, however, try this one, which comes directly from the westin.com web site:

[email protected]

If that doesn't work, then yes, I suppose they are having technical difficulties and you may have to call them instead.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.