Wiki Posts
Search

SPG50 - can it be used for suites?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2006, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

SPG50 on Suites?

I've lurked these forums without registering for a little while, but now I could use some help :P

I just put in a request to AMEX Plat Concierge to look into this, because I have not had much success talking to SPG Gold on the phone.

Basically, I'm trying to find out what kind of options there are (properties/rooms) for using the annual SPG50 coupon you get with the AMEX SPG Card.

For example, 2BR+ rooms/suites.

I'm probably going to stay at the LM Sunny Isles for 5 nights around Christmas this year, staying in the Ocean Grand 1BR Suite. (BTW any chance of upgrade to 2BR?)

But other than that, I have not been able to find any other rooms where using the SPG50 is really effective. (Large/expensive rooms/suites)

I presume if I were SPG Plat, their Concierge could get me more information. Are there any other contact options available to me as SPG Gold?

Any help/info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:21 am

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA PLAT
SPG Gold has a concierge number

In North America it is 888-625-4990 and for other regions, follow this link:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...act/index.html

To be honest, I don't believe they will let you use the SPG50 on a 2 bedroom suite.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Right I've talked to SPG Gold on the phone, and they can't do any research, and apparently don't have access to much information.

I know for a fact the Sheraton Grande Laguna Phuket DOES have 2BR villas that you can use SPG50 for. ($946 > $473)

It's only Cat 3, but "Ranked amongst the five best resorts in Asia-Pacific by Business Traveler Asia-Pacific for five consecutive years (2001 - 2005)"

Weird how Cat / Rack rates seem like they might depend more on demand than price..

THANK YOU!
"presidential $1200." at Westin Las Cabos
That's exactly what I'm talking about

Awesome news
Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Some properties definitely do allow SPG50's on suites, and some of the best deals for using SPG50's I have found have been suite deals (because premium suites are rarely discounted, so you do realize a very real 50% savings off the lowest available rate in many cases).

Westin Los Cabos is a prime example - the amazing junior suites go for $350, the governor suites for $800 and the presidential for $1200 with the SPG50. Includes club access. A fine deal.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I was just looking at those rooms, they appear to be 1BR?

Never heard of a 1BR Presidential Suite

Can't even add other rooms or anything?

If so, Governor's suite seems like a better value than Presidential.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
I was just looking at those rooms, they appear to be 1BR?

Never heard of a 1BR Presidential Suite

Can't even add other rooms or anything?

If so, Governor's suite seems like a better value than Presidential.
They all have only 1 king bed, the presidential is way larger than the governor's (take the "virtual tour" from the hotel's own website - not the SPG one - for the best view). Either the gov or the prez can add a bedroom by way of an adjoining room. The prez suite at Cabo is really a fantastic piece of real estate, a great splurge for a week at the half off rate.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 4:06 am

50% off at Westin Miyako Kyoto

Last year, Westin Miyako Kyoto allowed me to use an SPG50 for a traditional Japanese style suite - there were five of us staying, and it ended up being a very nice price during the peak Golden Week holidays. If you have a look at the 'Best of Starwood' book, you can see the room we stayed in. I think it was an upgrade to the Imperial Suite or something like that?!

We were granted lounge access too, which was a nice touch as I was not really expecting it for all five of us......

My first stay at this hotel in 2004 was less than memorable, but the second stay last year was really nice.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 4:47 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
can use

Originally Posted by Addicted to Points
In North America it is 888-625-4990 and for other regions, follow this link:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...act/index.html

To be honest, I don't believe they will let you use the SPG50 on a 2 bedroom suite.
hi i have often used SPG50 in many asian countries for Suites.

dp
Old Jun 12, 2006, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hmm, so might be common for Asian properties. Thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 2:50 pm
Yub

I found that for the Sheraton Grande Laguna Phuket that other available rates were better than SPG50. For example, for June 30 - July 3, the 3 bedroom golf villas have a rack rate of $910/night, and are $455/night with SPG50. There is a rate of $385/night available on SPG.com under the "Great Deal" rate plan. Interestingly, when I phoned Starwood to ask a question, they said the rate shows as $359/night.

I also noticed that this particular rate only appears when I remove the default SET code before doing the search. Seems like the SET code prevents me from seeing some of the better rates.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:03 pm

Just used an SPG50 for a Suite at the Westin Shanghai. Cat 5 suite for 1700 RMB/night.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:51 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Just got my SPG50 and called Platinum Concierge about using it in NYC for a suite around Christmas time. First she offered me the W Times Square, which I would have taken, but the discount didn't approach 50%. They did offer 50% off the suites at the Tuscany and the Court. Currently holding two other reservations and trying to decide what to do - in addition to negotiating to purchase a timeshare at the Manhattan Club contingent on getting those days.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 2:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Avis
I wanted to use one for the Sheraton in Flushing, NY. The website showed a price of $229 for my time frame. Called to use the SPG50 dicount and was offered a rate of $214.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

1000 Starpoints or Annual Cert from AMEX SPG Card

For the trip I have coming up, I'm going to stay at either the Court or the Tuscany for $399 / $450 respectively for a Mega Suite. (with SPG50, going to use the Cert I think, even though only 1 night)

Room differences / quality of hotel / chance of upgrade (any?) = factors I'm thinking of right now...

It'd be so nice if hotels ROUTINELY put floorplans on their website

Booked The Court, hopefully I'll get a big terrace.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 14, 2006 at 3:40 pm
Old May 13, 2007, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
SPG50 - can it be used for suites?

I am staying at the Westin Diplomat this week using an SPG50 award. Looked on my reservation detail and saw this today under the rate info:

"Rates Represent Discount. One Room Max Per Award. Gst Musteithe.** R Redeem 1000 Points Via An Spg Award Or Already Beholding A.** 50% Off Award Certificate To Receive This Rate..Does Not Apply To Suites!!"

Seems pretty normal to me for the SPG50, except for the "Does Not Apply To Suites!!" line. I've definitely used the SPG50 for suites before (i.e. Westin Nusa Dua Bali), and have never seen this before. I am wondering if it means 1) the SPG50 cannot be used for suites, or 2) no Platinum suite upgrades using the SPG50?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.