Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you ever leave your laptop in your hotel room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2007, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold and lowly DL FO

Just curious as to what most folks do when they travel. Have you ever left your laptop in your hotel room? Do you worry about housekeeping walking off with it?

What about your other valuables? How do you keep them safe when they are in the room and you're not?
Old May 14, 2007, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm ashamed to say that I have - but only for short periods of time, and I always put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door in case the staff comes in to drop something off or turn down the bed (ya, like that ever happens anymore).

My pet peeve - in-room safes which are too small to fit today's 15.4" laptops...it means I either need to drag it around, hide it in the trunk (another risk) or put it in the hotel lobby safe.
Old May 14, 2007, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I worry less and less about it. I often leave the laptop on the desk charging while I'm out.

Camera equipment usually comes with me.
Old May 14, 2007, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lexi
Just curious as to what most folks do when they travel. Have you ever left your laptop in your hotel room?
Never.

You never know when hotel staff members are going to come in, especially when it comes to thing$ like like re-$tocking the mini-bar.
Old May 14, 2007, 6:42 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
All the time, at least in the evenings if I go out to dinner. During the day it is typically with me, but I'm not dragging it around with me when I'm not working.

Years ago I had a company car stolen while on a trip near Cleveland while it was parked in the hotel lot. My briefcase was in the trunk, but was gone when the car turned up a couple days later in a not so nice area of Cleveland. When I tried to claim the loss with the company HR department, they asked why I was stupid enough to leave it locked in a trunk. I'm pretty sure if it had been stolen from the hotel room they would have said I was stupid for not locking it in my trunk.

Life is too short to constantly worry about something being stolen. Use common sense and don't worry about it.
Old May 14, 2007, 6:51 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Get a couple of these: http://www.pac-safe.com/www/index.ph...n=detail&id=48

When I travel, I lock my camera bag (which comes with a sewn-in lock, and locking zippers) to the bed frame. I then drape the pac-safe over it, lock it to the bed-frame as well. The laptop gets locked up as well. The only problem I have is if the maids try and vacuum around where the bag is locked up.
Old May 14, 2007, 7:23 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Yes, of course. You can't live chained to a laptop.
Old May 14, 2007, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
When I was traveling with my laptop to Israel but, I never leave the laptop in the hotel. I am always take with me when I am fly out from Israel. Housekeeping didn't touch the laptop when she was cleaned in my room while we went on the tour during the day in Israel. I just make sure if she didn't take anything from my personal stuff in hotel room. I remember when I was keep to touch all of those friends & relatives in USA.
Old May 14, 2007, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold and lowly DL FO
Thanks for the responses.

I have typically left my laptop in my hotel room, but wondered if I was just asking for trouble. Sometimes I "hide" it in my suitcase so it's not obvious, and other times I've left it out so it could charge.

I guess it's good to know that if I'm being foolish I'm not the only one.
Old May 14, 2007, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Yes, but it depends on the country and the hotel. I also tend to leave Do Not Disturb on the door. If I don't need to leave it charging then I will normally leave it locked in the safe if there's one where it fits,or in a suitcase if not and I have one with me.
Old May 14, 2007, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
I never lock or hide my computer. But I regularly stay in 4 star or better properties. This week I am in NYC at the Hampton Inn on 31st. I have a cable lock that I use when I go out and I will use it here.
Old May 14, 2007, 9:45 pm

I lock it when I can but safes are too small. Use do-not-disturb sign in evenings when I go out.

I never leave it in the room during the day unless locked up.
Old May 14, 2007, 10:14 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
The laptop I travel with is an almost 6 year old Apple iBook that might be worth $100 and only because it has a new battery.

I leave it in the room, if someone takes it - .... but whatever.
Old May 14, 2007, 11:22 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by lexi
Just curious as to what most folks do when they travel. Have you ever left your laptop in your hotel room? Do you worry about housekeeping walking off with it?

What about your other valuables? How do you keep them safe when they are in the room and you're not?
I leave my laptop in my room frequently (dinner time, working out, etc), but its a company laptop that I always back up before leaving on a trip, so my potential loss is a few days worth of meeting notes and such.

Bob
Old May 14, 2007, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Lock the laptop in the suitcase and lock the suitcase to something immovable or something bizarre which is not quickly breakable.

Some people use a proximity alarm pair.

Marry that with the DND sign and the TV on and the phone unplugged and voila.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.