Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

New Marriott with Women-Only Floor

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2007, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler

New JW Marriott hotel sets space just for women

Wednesday, May 16, 2007By Chris KnapeThe Grand Rapids Press
GRAND RAPIDS -- Among the amenities planned for the new JW Marriott hotel, one might be a first in America.

The Alticor Inc.-owned riverfront hotel is reserving its 19th floor and a lounge exclusively for female clientele when it opens Sept. 19.

Andrea Groom, a spokeswoman for the 24-story, 340-room hotel, said the idea recognizes more than half of all business travelers are women.

"A lot of women are saying they're not feeling like they're safe when they're traveling to a strange city," Groom said. "They don't necessarily want to go down to a lounge and feel like they are getting hit on by guys."

The women-only rooms also will have amenities not found in other rooms, such as chenille throw blankets, ionic hair dryers, jewelry holders and special bath products.

Access to those rooms will come at a $25 to $30 per night premium over standard rates of about $229.

So, is it legal?

Harold Core, a spokesman for the Michigan Civil Rights Commission, said he wasn't sure.

"You cannot deny a person services just because they are male or female," Core said. "In a lot of cases, there could be a nondiscriminatory reason where a hotel would have that kind of set-up or policy. But I can't speak to what that reasoning would be."

He cited restrooms and locker rooms as examples of gender-specific amenities that are legal.
"I can imagine if this is something they're announcing publicly, it is something that will either come to a court or come to our commission," he said.

George Aquino, general manager of the hotel, said with only a small percentage of women-only rooms, he doesn't expect it to become an issue.

News of the women-only floor and lounge emerged Tuesday as the company announced a Sept. 19 grand opening gala. The hotel's restaurant and other amenities will be open Sept. 21.

Okay--let the discussion ensue!!! And would you pay more this?
Old May 16, 2007, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by gretchendz
I don't, in the least, feel threatened by men in the club lounge when traveling alone. I wouldn't pay more for a womens' only floor and lounge. If a guy hits on you (collective, of course) just tell him to take a hike.
Old May 16, 2007, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I do fine in nice hotels. So far so good as far as having problems or guys try to hit on me, but I'm older than their mothers! I wouldn't pay extra.
Old May 16, 2007, 9:49 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Lovely that there is a Women Only Floor.
The thing that most concerns me is getting from the parking lot to the floor
Last year I stayed in a hotel at BOS (might have been Hilton or Marriott) and the scariest thing of all was the walk from the terminal which led to a tunnel which led to an unsupervised hotel entrance. I would like to see a little more security in parking structures and less concern about club lounges.
Old May 16, 2007, 11:25 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
The BOS Hilton has you go through the parking lot. You can catch a shuttle to the hotel as well. However, you bring up a great point - its the walk to the gym in some hotels (usually away from the hotel - Park Hyatt DC, Park Hyatt Philadephia to name two), that gives me the heebies.
Old May 16, 2007, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UAL Premier Exec, SPG and HH Gold
I'm glad this was posted here -- I never go to the Marriott or other forums where I could've seen this. I agree that it is the walk from the parking lot or even walks back to the hotel at night from a meeting or restaurant around the corner that make me more concerned. Hotel gyms also can be weird when you're the only one there and a man comes in.
For business travel, I can only imagine the reaction from a client getting a higher bill for me to stay on a women's floor than staying on a "normal" floor -- would not be good!
Old May 17, 2007, 5:37 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Not a bad idea, but I'd never pay extra for it. I've never felt threatened in a hotel.
Old May 17, 2007, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Most of my business trips are to large conventions these days. The hotel is often huge, with hallways to match.

I absolutely hate walking back to my room alone. A colleague (male) and I asked to be on the same floor to make it easy to work on a presentation for the convention. I wound up with a double bonus. It was easy to get work done as well as having someone to go back to the floor with.

I'm not sure I would spend the extra money for a women's floor on a normal basis, but I just may when going to a huge hotel.
Old May 17, 2007, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gretchendz
They almost had me. No, I wasn't interested in the women's only lounge (in some places, that's known as a bathroom ). It wasn't the women's only floor. It was the amenities they listed. But.....why would I pay $25-30 extra for it after the base price of $229? For that standard rate, they can add the amenities on a complementary basis to attract more clientele.

The concern about safety as a selling point holds no water considering the other issues already brought up. Nope, not interested.
Old May 17, 2007, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Most of my business trips are to large conventions these days. The hotel is often huge, with hallways to match.

I absolutely hate walking back to my room alone.
Have you ever felt threatened when returning to your room? Has someone ever followed you?
Old May 17, 2007, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
No one has ever followed or threatened me.

It's the old, in-bred NYC girl warning about never walking anywhere that's deserted. My radar goes off immediately when I'm alone in a long corridor.
Old May 17, 2007, 7:41 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by Analise
They almost had me. No, I wasn't interested in the women's only lounge (in some places, that's known as a bathroom ). It wasn't the women's only floor. It was the amenities they listed. But.....why would I pay $25-30 extra for it after the base price of $229? For that standard rate, they can add the amenities on a complementary basis to attract more clientele.

The concern about safety as a selling point holds no water considering the other issues already brought up. Nope, not interested.
I felt at first that Marriott was doing something good... to help with the perception of safety for women. But then I saw the "premium" you would have to pay to for this safety.

That seems wrong to me... I honestly cannot say I know what it would be like to feel unsafe as a woman... but I do think it is wrong to charge someone a premium for that feel of safety.

I personally do not see any discrimination... there are still other lounges... and rooms available. I guess the issue would be... lets say the hotel was full except for the Women Only rooms... and a man wants to check in. I assume he would be rejected due to no "non women" rooms available. Could he claim discrimination? Perhaps.

William
Old May 17, 2007, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
so interesting....

Originally Posted by Mary2e
No one has ever followed or threatened me.

It's the old, in-bred NYC girl warning about never walking anywhere that's deserted. My radar goes off immediately when I'm alone in a long corridor.
Mary 2e, Living where I do out on the prairie, I prefer NOT to see any people and am most comfortable when there are no people around at all. I don't mind long treks in huge hotels unless my feet hurt from a long day of standing.

Out here in the west a Texas man always gives a woman a wide berth when walking just to show he means no harm.
Old May 17, 2007, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by wharvey
I felt at first that Marriott was doing something good... to help with the perception of safety for women. But then I saw the "premium" you would have to pay to for this safety.

That seems wrong to me... I honestly cannot say I know what it would be like to feel unsafe as a woman... but I do think it is wrong to charge someone a premium for that feel of safety.
That's a VERY good point. Perhaps they should market the rooms as being more luxuriant so they could justify the rate increase.

I guess the issue would be... lets say the hotel was full except for the Women Only rooms... and a man wants to check in. I assume he would be rejected due to no "non women" rooms available. Could he claim discrimination? Perhaps.
Another good point. I guess that question will be answered eventually.
Old May 17, 2007, 8:39 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, QF (currently some base metal), LH, Star Alliance, CSA
The only advantage I can see is that you cold nip out to the ice machine in your undies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.