Search

NW 1411 makes emergency landing

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2007, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AA PLT, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime PLT
NW 1411 makes emergency landing

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...450/1003/METRO

Does anyone know any more info about this flight? Looks like a hole in the fuselage caused a drop in air pressure.
Old May 18, 2007, 9:50 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Another link: http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp?S=6538786&nav=0RbQ

Northwest Airlines spokesman Doug Hartmayer says flight 14-11 experienced a loss of cabin pressure and smoke filled the cockpit during the flight.

A 12-inch hole was discovered in the DC-9's fuselage after it landed safely with 95 people aboard.

Must have happened pretty quick. Flight aware shows a six minute flight from SYR to BUF. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N...654Z/KSYR/KBUF
Old May 19, 2007, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by tev9999
Must have happened pretty quick. Flight aware shows a six minute flight from SYR to BUF. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N...654Z/KSYR/KBUF
That doesn't look right, since the full route isn't shown, and their track log has 15 minutes' worth of data.

BTW, that log also indicates a maximum altitude of 18400' which is a good thing - time of useful consciousness is a lot higher there than it is at typical cruising altitudes. AQ243's incident years ago occurred at 24000'.

The log further indicates that they descended to 10000' (where basically anyone can breathe even without the oxygen masks, but especially with them) for most of the remainder of the trip.
Old May 19, 2007, 8:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Thank god nothing major happened. What causes the fuselage to rupture? The DC-9-30 must have some serious number of cycles behind them but surely are checked against hairline cracks?
Old May 19, 2007, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Thank god nothing major happened. What causes the fuselage to rupture? The DC-9-30 must have some serious number of cycles behind them but surely are checked against hairline cracks?
A couple ideas:

1. It could have sustained accidental damage while on the ground, but minor enough that it wasn't noticed or something, or

2. Plain old metal fatigue, with the "minor" (compared to AQ243) results being due to inspections being done much more carefully by everyone post-AQ243.
Old May 19, 2007, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
3) Birdstrike on climbout?
Old May 19, 2007, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by DanTravels
A couple ideas:

1. It could have sustained accidental damage while on the ground, but minor enough that it wasn't noticed or something, or

2. Plain old metal fatigue, with the "minor" (compared to AQ243) results being due to inspections being done much more carefully by everyone post-AQ243.
I'd go with 1.
Old May 22, 2007, 6:09 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
NWA flight diverts to BUF with hole in fuselage

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18782966/

Looks like it is time to retire the DC-9s!

Glad that no one was hurt.
Old May 22, 2007, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is old news. Word at airliners.net is that this was pretty definitely due to ground equipment, not metal fatigue.
Old May 22, 2007, 6:36 am

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by LBJ
This is old news. Word at airliners.net is that this was pretty definitely due to ground equipment, not metal fatigue.
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=694779
Old May 22, 2007, 6:41 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
Oops. Look what happens when I forget to check flyertalk for a day or two. I ask for sincere forgiveness and will check daily for now on as my penalty.
Old May 29, 2007, 5:16 am

The New York Times has a story about this in today's business section
Old May 29, 2007, 8:26 am

Programs: DL Silver, HH diamond, Midwest Miles (RIP), NWA WP (RIP)
Seems like somebody really doesn't like the DC9s (or just NWA)! IIRC it was snowing when the DC9 went off the runway in MKE. I think I feel safer on a plane like that - that's undergone such significant mx checks over the years, and had time for flaws to be fixed - than a CR9 or E190 that's brand new...

Not that I think it's all that significant, but there have been cases of not finding out a problem or flaw until the aircraft type has been in the air for a few years, then it gets fixed (biggest example is obviously the DC10). I don't think I'd be willing to fly a CRJ that is 40 years old, but the DC9s, aside from guzzling gas, are good aircraft...I think that's been proven time and again. They may only be worth scrap, but a lot of that has to do with newer more efficient aircraft available on the market today, and that fleet type simply doesn't fit most airline's business models today (the 717 couldn't make a go of it either...).

Further, that's the advantage of having experienced pilots! Steve Forbe's Fact and Comment from a few weeks ago argued that the retirement age be increased for pilots, since experience is so important. They don't state his age, but I'd imagine the pilot had been flying DC9s for a while!
Old May 29, 2007, 8:41 am

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
Was this the plane that hit the coyote a couple of weeks ago?
Old May 29, 2007, 9:05 am

Programs: DL FO - CO Gold
Has the cause of the hole in the fusilage been determined yet?
Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.