Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DFW or DAL?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2007, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Question DFW or DAL?

This may be an obvious question, but is DAL significantly easier to navigate than DFW? I mean picking up/dropping off a rental car, checking-in, security lines etc. I would be flying Continental.

Thanks.
Old May 21, 2007, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Dropping off the rental car, yes (hypothetically depending on what time of day and where you are coming from). As far as security and check-in goes, I don't really see a difference between the two airports.

Most Dallas travelers make their decision on the two airports (all other things equal) based on where they are coming from/going to (much like you would with Hobby or Intercontinental in Houston back when there was still much of a choice).
Old May 21, 2007, 5:41 pm

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
does Continental even have flights into Love from SFO? As a general reference though, getting in and out of Love is easier because it's not as big of an airport...thus fewer people flying, parking, renting cars, etc. I usually go in and out of Love on Thursdays/Sundays and have never been in a security line more than 15 minutes in the 50+ times I've flown Southwest out of there.
Old May 21, 2007, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mctrees02
does Continental even have flights into Love from SFO?
They don't fly to DFW or DAL directly from SFO. Either way, a connection in IAH is required.
Old May 21, 2007, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL-Plat
Though DFW is a considerably bigger airport, I think it's easier than Love when flying CO. Continental is at the end of Delta's Terminal E, which is now largely deserted because DL no longer has a hub here. Parking, counter, and gate space for CO are very close at DFW -- much closer than Love -- plus there is a President's Club by the gate. CO also flies mainline aircraft to DFW, which would save you the hike over to Terminal B in IAH (where all the Express flights board). All the rental car operators at DFW are consolidated into a new facility, which is reached by an airport operated bus. At Love, the rental car companies run individual facilites, which are scattered around offsite. Note, however, that taxi time at DFW is always longer than DAL because there is so much more traffic at DFW.
Old May 22, 2007, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have only used DFW and US&AA.

The rental car facility is great, as it is consolidated on the south of the airport. It is serviced by airport bus that runs at 5min(15 at 7am) intervals.

seems to have a lot of security checkpoints.

There are excellent expressways in all directions from DFW. course, since I use IAD, everything else looks great.
Old May 22, 2007, 8:53 am

I agree with techgirl, there is not much difference. You will shave ~20 minutes off your drive with Love if you are going to Dallas, and vice versa with DFW if going to Ft Worth.

I would probably pick it on schedule, if there was a difference.

BillJ
Old May 26, 2007, 12:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Southwest A List, United Silver, Jumeirah One Silver, Marriott Silver
While DFW is a much larger airport, it is not terribly difficult to get around. DFW is a well organized airport IMO. When you get off the rental car bus at the Continental stop in Terminal E, you will have less walking to do to get to your gate, than when you arrive at DAL. I usually take the 715pm flight to IAH and never have to wait for a check in kiosk, and security usually takes only 5-10 minutes. I have found the security lines at DAL to be a tad bit longer at comparable times. Once past security, all of the CO gates are very close by. No need to go very far, and there is a PC and Crown Room if you are a member.

The point about flying a 737 vs a ERJ is a good one. If you are flying to SFO from IAH, try to fly into IAH on a 737. All flights out of DAL and the ERJ flights out of DFW will land you in Terminal B in IAH. Transferring from Terminal B to C or E in IAH is not nearly as convenient as it is at some other major airports.

drnp
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:07 pm

Programs: Various
Alright, this might be a good place to jump in on a thread rather than start a new one.

I booked a decent deal flight into DAL and out of DFW. What's the most economical way to get between the two airports without using a taxi or super shuttle?

I found this thread, but just wanted to see if there are other suggestions out there.

Love Field to SFW-How To Go?

Last edited by Robt760; Jun 18, 2007 at 10:18 pm
Old Jun 19, 2007, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Robt760
Alright, this might be a good place to jump in on a thread rather than start a new one.

I booked a decent deal flight into DAL and out of DFW. What's the most economical way to get between the two airports without using a taxi or super shuttle?

I found this thread, but just wanted to see if there are other suggestions out there.

Love Field to SFW-How To Go?
Well, there is no direct train service between the airports so the trip will take you about 3 hours.

The Super Shuttle is the best way to get there because it is affordable and pretty quick (ask if they take 635 or 183 or if they give you the option). Depending on the time of day 635 will be a parking lot. 183 can be the same but is usually moving enough to make it a quick trip.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:37 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Robt760
You can often rent a car for less than $20 all-in. DAL is much cheaper than DFW for picking up a car because you don't have as many airport taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.