Wiki Posts
Search

Qualifying for AX Centurion

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2007, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-PM;CO;US;AA; AMEX Plat
Qualifying for AX Centurion

Aside from spending a lot on Amex, is there any other way to qualify and obtain the Cent card?
Old May 26, 2007, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in the US you have to spend $250K/yr to qualify
Old May 26, 2007, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by jdmason
Aside from spending a lot on Amex, is there any other way to qualify and obtain the Cent card?
None that I know of.
Old May 26, 2007, 5:19 pm

Actually for clarification you have to spend and pay off 250k within the past 365 days. ie purchasing 250k worth of goods will not qualify unless you pay
Old May 26, 2007, 7:01 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
And dont forget the $7,500 fee for the card
Old May 26, 2007, 7:27 pm

Programs: Amex Plat
Cool Plat Member for at Least 1 year

Originally Posted by sct4a
And you have to have been a Plat member for at least 1 year and needless to say a STERLING credit history.

And it's "Don't Call Us - We'll Call You" type of thing - AMEX will let you know IF they think you qualify.

Meaning you can't apply for it.
Old May 26, 2007, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sct4a
$5000 initiation, $2500 a year

does ANYONE who is willing to pay $2500 a year care about a $5000 initiation? i sure as heck dont. but my spending level is not high enough to upgrade.

Originally Posted by realpix
And you have to have been a Plat member for at least 1 year and needless to say a STERLING credit history.

And it's "Don't Call Us - We'll Call You" type of thing - AMEX will let you know IF they think you qualify.

its not entirely clear whether you have to have plat, or have plat for a year.

for a WHILE they did not call you and you had to call them. now apparently they have started doing invites again, and that might affect whether you pay the initiation fee. (if you are invited then no, but if you request then you do)

they also seem to have loosened the policy with regards to allowing personal spending to count towards business centurion and vice versa.
Old May 26, 2007, 8:24 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond

That may have been true at one time. However, my business partner called up and received it. His spending was right on the 250K limit, with a really big month of charges pending. They went ahead and gave him the card (and charged him the really big fee).

So, kagehitokiri, I can think of one person that would spend that much for a black card. If you count me as well, that would make 2. When I start traveling more again, I'll definitely pay $2500 for an additional card on his business account. The free nights at Mandarin Oriental would make it pay for itself on it's own. It depends on your travel habits, but there are some things that could definitely make it worth it.
Old May 26, 2007, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i was correcting the earlier post, and suggesting that IMHO people who are willing to pay $2500 a year (like us and plenty of others here) are not going to look at the $5000 initiation fee and go "well i dont want to pay that so im not going to get the card now"

That may have been true at one time. However, my business partner called up and received it. His spending was right on the 250K limit, with a really big month of charges pending. They went ahead and gave him the card (and charged him the really big fee).
good to know ^

i see i did not mention it earlier, but bhd and several others have said upgrade/invite is closed until june 1
Old May 26, 2007, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
In talking with a rep on the Platinum phone last year, I inquired about the Centurion card-(this was before I found this forum!). The rep gave me the phone number and told me to give them a call and tell them I was interested in the card. I never followed through, but it seems that with enough spending, you might be able to invite yourself.
Old May 26, 2007, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yes, for a while they did NOT invite anyone, and you HAD to call. apparently they are now inviting again, and some posts have suggested that might be related to the new initiation fee (that invite might mean no fee)

(talking about US card)
Old May 27, 2007, 12:48 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP

You don't necessarily have to be a Plat member. When my family business got Centurion back in 2005, all the cards on the account were green or gold.

We were invited with a fancy package in the mail and we barely even knew what the card was at the time. Aside from the black card name dropping in popular culture, we didn't know anything else about the card or its benefits.
Old May 27, 2007, 10:42 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, Starwood Gold, VX elevate
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
i was correcting the earlier post, and suggesting that IMHO people who are willing to pay $2500 a year (like us and plenty of others here) are not going to look at the $5000 initiation fee and go "well i dont want to pay that so im not going to get the card now"
Had I been invited at this point in time to get the card, there is no way I would have paid the $5k initiation fee over the $2500 annual fee. Granted I'm still paying the original yearly fee that I began paying when the card first came out, but $7500 for a credit card, just for one year, is beyond absurd to me. But hey, that's just me. And I'm thrifty.
Old May 27, 2007, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you realize your annual fee will go up at the next renewal right? are you going to keep the card?

and it is NOT $7500 for a year. it is $5000 UP FRONT. then $2500 a year. IMHO its like saying your total mortgage payment amount for the first year includes your down payment on your house...
Old May 27, 2007, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
you realize your annual fee will go up at the next renewal right? are you going to keep the card?

and it is NOT $7500 for a year. it is $5000 UP FRONT. then $2500 a year. IMHO its like saying your total mortgage payment amount for the first year includes your down payment on your house...
I asked a CSR and they said it was 7500 for the first year:

Year 1. 5000+2500
Year 2. 2500

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.