Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Amman, Jordan: Le Meridien or Sheraton? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amman, Jordan: Le Meridien or Sheraton? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2004, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Marriott*Plutonium Lifetime, other stuff
Arrow Amman, Jordan: Le Meridien or Sheraton? [Master Thread]

I stayed in Amman last December. All of the hotels were empty and very cheap. The Sheraton is rather tired. I moved after 1 night to Le Royal which was VERY nice, presumably because very new. Like many places, nice hotels seem to get built in Amman but they are either built cheaply or not well maintained and they fade quickly.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just back from 2 stays at the Amman Sheraton. Overall, I was very, very impressed and would happily go back.

We were upgraded to a junior suite on the Towers Floor both times (Plat member) and the new European amenity was offered without fuss. Should anyone be interested, the local gift is a pack of Dead Sea treatments. The junior suites are nicely set up - not super luxurious but very comfortable. The Towers lounge offers a decent breakfast buffet with hot and cold choices, along with a drinks from 5.30-7.30. Not bad for USD85 per night.

The staff are very friendly in the best traditions of Middle Eastern hospitality though things can get a little bit chaotic when busy - also in line with Middle Eastern tradition. The hotel was surprisingly busy - mostly with Americans enroute to or from Baghdad. The location is pretty good for the upmarket areas of Sheimeishani and Abdoun. It is a bit further into Downtown but taxis are super cheap - no more than USD3.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Can anyone comment on the Towers lounge at the Sheraton Amman? What are the food presentations like? Are they open on weekends?

Can the hotel arrange airport transportation?

How are the Towers Level rooms?
Old Jan 28, 2005, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Can anyone comment on the Towers lounge at the Sheraton Amman? What are the food presentations like? Are they open on weekends?
The food presentations are OK - snack food i.e spring rolls etc. Nothing special, but when are lounge presentations anything else? Waiter service for booze which is nice

Can the hotel arrange airport transportation?
Yes, for about USD25 if memory is working. We got picked up in a truly hilarious white stretch Mercedes. Call the hotel to sort the pick up out - the staff speak excellent English, and will ensure Hertz get someone there to meet you.

How are the Towers Level rooms?
Our suite was classically decorated, but in good repair and very comfortable. The photo on spg.com is a good representation.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 2:36 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Amman, Jordan (LeM and Sheraton) Mini-Reports

I recently completed three nights each at these properties, which are both very nice. In a city with generally mediocre service, these two hotels stand out for being the best (better, indeed, than my limited experience at the Four Seasons and Grand Hyatt). Some observations:

-- Sheraton: I was upgraded, as a Platinum, to a beautiful two-room suite with very elegant design, gorgeous bathrooms (2), and huge balcony. The lounge is among the best in Amman, with pretty comprehensive breakfast and typical evening snacks and alcohol. The service was very friendly and responsive, including dedicated check-in for Platinum/club guests off of the lobby. Location, on the Fifth Circle, is central, but not within immediate walking distance of much.

-- Le Meridien: Also given a two-room suite, not as nice as Sheraton, but very comfortable. Again the service was very responsive -- every time I called for assistance, they were amazingly prompt. The structure is not as impressive as the Sheraton (LeM must be older), but the lobby is more elegant. The lounge is a step below the Sheraton in terms of size and amenities, but has free computer/internet, which the Sheraton does not if I recall correctly. Restaurants are, on balance, the best in any hotel in Amman, with Chinese (at which I ate -- food was so-so, as expected, but service was outstanding), Benihana (I know, not what you'd want if you were visiting Amman), and excellent-looking Arabic and Steak restaurants, plus a lobby bar and Italian restaurant. Breakfast is also probably the best (better than Four Seasons and Hyatt, comparable to InterContinental) of the typical Arabic/international buffets that all hotels offer. There's also full-service Starbucks outlet connected to the lobby. Location is Shmeisani, within walking distance to a neighborhood with fun local restaurants and nightlife venues. One strange aspect is that there are no personal items (e.g., toiletries) available at the gift shop -- you have to leave the hotel for this, although right outside across the street there are a few shops. I found the "hotel taxis" outside to be especially good -- they charge the usual premium, but are clean and with English-speaking drivers.

I have now stayed at most five-star hotels in Amman, and I would assign the following rankings, taking into account physical space, location, service, and restaurants:

Top tier:
Le Royal (haven't stayed)
Le Meridien
Sheraton
Four Seasons
Grand Hyatt

Mid tier:
Intercontinental
Kempinski (haven't stayed)

Bottom tier:
Marriott
Crowne Plaza
Old Jul 13, 2007, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT LIFE, SPG Platinum, LHW LC, Fairmont PC
Thanks for the report. Very helpful since I'll likely be booking one of these for mid-August.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Actually, I stand corrected. The Sheraton does have free computers off of the executive lounge. At a subsequent stay, the service was even better, and I got one of about a dozen rooms with huge terraces -- as big as the rooms -- on the high floors of the corner of the property.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:27 am

Programs: Starwood life Plt, AA Gold.,Delta . ,Priority Plat,IC Ambassador
Which Starwood in Amman???

Greetings:

Any suggestions on the "best" Starwwod in AMM? We will staying three nights.

Thanks to all.......................

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jun 21, 2008 at 11:00 am Reason: Merged into newly created master thread
Old Jan 23, 2009, 1:49 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
We plan to go Amman this coming March.
Does anyone suggest me which room is better:
Tower room (230 jod) or Regular Jr. Suite (240 jod)
According to the web, tower room seems spacious with tower lounge access.
Jr. Suite is just regular floor without lounge access.
The jr. suite is much larger than tower room?

I am the platinum so the hotel may upgrade me to the better room with lounge access.
But my friend is not a platinum so I want to make sure he gets a good room.

By the way, amman is now quite expensive with 25 % tax and service charge on top of above rate
Old Jun 3, 2009, 3:38 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Just completed my 4th stay at the Sheraton Amman. On all stays I have been upgraded to Exec Suites, which are two rooms combined, one as a living room. It is a good hotel with nice facilities and good service.

Only two negative points are that there are no walk-in showers (sticky curtains), and the fitness facility and pool can become crowded from local members.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 1:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA MM Lifetime Gold, BA Silver
I will be headed back to Amman later this month and I will post my thoughts on the Sheraton. I stayed last time at the Intercon and while the hotel itself was fine, I do have two notes to make:

1. There seemed to be a wedding reception scheduled every night in the courtyard. The music could be heard from my room.

2. The attached Mexican restaurant was the suspected source of some bad food leading to stomach illness.

Other than that, the Intercon was great. But I'm really looking forward to trying the Sheraton...
Old Jun 3, 2009, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum RA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
The best service I have ever received anywhere was at the Marriott in Amman. I was blown away by the courtesy of the staff. My former boss was in a wheelchair and they bent over backwards to help us every step of the way as far as accessibility. I handled our travel throughout the world and I have to say that this was the easiest hotel I've ever dealt with and the staff was just amazing to us when we were there.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Enjoyed stay at sheraton Amman. My only complaint would be the extremely small beds in the twin rooms!
Old Jan 31, 2010, 2:42 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Just returned from a stay at the Le Meridien Amman and have to say that the staff was fantastic. I got a great upgrade and everybody working at the hotel with whom I came in contact was extremely personable and professional. One of the days I was there happened to be my birthday and the front desk staff sent me up a birthday cake. The two people working at the Al Mukhtar restaurant were also very helpful and friendly. It really was a great stay!
Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC GLD, MR PLT, SPG PLT, National Exec.
Rates are the same between SPG and Marriott properties. Im MR Plat and SPG Gold. Not really counting on upgrades as I never seem to get them maybe just a late check-out.

Of these properties which would you suggest?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.