Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Bear Mountain (Victoria/Langford, BC) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Bear Mountain (Victoria/Langford, BC) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2006, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Arrow Westin Bear Mountain (Victoria/Langford, BC) [Master Thread]

Just returned from the grand opening of this property. Great event! and an amazing resort! West Coast style and design with fantastic facilities. Four Seasons quality (remindes me of FS Whistler) and service. Several *wood execs attented along with Canadian celebs.

The open bar was great too
Old Sep 2, 2006, 5:51 pm
diazhill

Thumbs up Awesome Hotel - You MUST stay here!

I am typing this from a huge one bedroom suite w/fireplace at the brand-new Westin Bear Mountain Golf Resort & Spa in Victoria B.C.

I can't say enough good things about this hotel!!

Front desk was unable to offer a plat upgrade at check-in (hotel is full) but they did call the next morning to advise they had found a suite for the rest of my stay - nice!

For those of you who have been to the Westin Trillium House in Collingwood, this new Westin is 10x better and much more deluxe / high-end - which is not an easy feat!

Bravo Westin! Well done! Please keeping making hotels like this!!

Old Mar 10, 2007, 1:25 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I've seen the standard rooms. Quite nicely designed and appointed. I don't think I'd spend 10K on a night though.

Although this property is advertised as Victoria BC, it's 30 minutes from downtown, on the outskirts. Up and into a new residential community, it lies with views from the restaurant of an untouched valley to one side (very green) and the water and city of Victoria to the other side.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 3:28 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, Best Western Diamond, AC - 35K, A3-GOLD, Alaska, National Executive Elite
This property is above the new residential subdivision. It is at the top of the mountain built on the golf course. 2-3 years old. There will be a Sheraton opening up close to the base of the mountain- April or June this year. 30 mins out from Downtown Victoria. They are very accommodating as I had to canceled last minute (1 hour past the deadline) and they gave my points back.

I love this forum, great place.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 12:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Thumbs up \Westin Bear Mountain (Victoria, BC) [Master Thread]

I am writing this post via the complimentary high speed Internet access that was included with my room at the West Bear Mountain in Victoria, Canada. ^ Free Internet being such a foreign concept to me, I actually had to ask the check-in agent to repeat herself when she informed me of it.

At check-in, the staff knew me by name and were refreshingly friendly, I received a great upgrade, my points amenity, and when the rate was explained to me, she said "ok Mr. tjk1976, your room rate is x and we have waived the $15 per day Resort Fee because you are a Platinum guest <nice surprise since I didn't even know there was a Resort fee>. Also, you will receive complimentary local phone calls, complimentary high speed Internet in your room and in the business centre, complimentary secure parking, and complimentary bottles of water. Is there anything else we can offer you to make your stay more comfortable?" I was speechless; a Starwood property that actually offers Plats meaningful amenities. This really makes me wonder why other *woods don't take a similarly progressive approach. Are the fees collected for such things as Internet access and parking really worth more to them than the great impression made by comping these things to Plats? Anyway, kudos to the Westin Bear Mountain for doing it right!

I have been meaning to check out this property since it opened and, so far, it is truly outstanding. I wish I hadn't waited so long. My take is that it is a highly underrated gem compared to most of the other better known Westins in North America.

Last edited by tjk1976; Jun 2, 2007 at 12:33 pm
Old Jun 2, 2007, 1:57 pm

I would second your comments. My family stayed there (2 rooms) last week for 3 nights. Overall an excellent property. The 1 bedroom suites are very spacious with nice furnishings. I would highly recommend this property.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
This is a fantastic resort that sets a new standard for Westins. More like a St Regis category.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I’m curious about this property because I will be in Victoria for 3 days in early July ’07. I checked out the SPG website as well as the developments website and decided against staying. Of course this is based on the website photos and a few reviews over at Trip Advisor that turned me off the property (some sited heavy construction going on, facilities not open yet, a heavily suburban aesthetic and rather sterile and oddly shaped rooms). I must say the golf course looks beautiful, but I don’t play golf.

So I have built in my mind a rather negative perception of the place… but of course I have never been there. Do I need to be reeducated and reconsider staying here?
Old Jun 3, 2007, 3:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
Let me tell you...having spent 2 months in Victoria...I stayed at the Marriott downtown during the week and this resort on most weekends...it is a little inconvenient to downtown but nothing having a car won't cure...we got upgraded to a lovely one bedroom suite. Full kitchen with regular size fridge. The balcony was a shared one that wrapped around so be careul of attire if drapes are open. But we overlooked the golf course and to make a cup of coffee each morning and sit out on that balcony was simply to die for...and also, a glass of wine in the evenings, spectacular...yes there was/is construction but it is worth the trip...take a second look and make the choice to say here...service is fabulous!!!!

Note...other than hotel restaurants, not much around there and it is residential so you will have to drive into town, but for relaxation and tranquility, it's ideal!!
Old Jun 3, 2007, 5:11 pm

I agree that this property is fabulous. I stayed there last year and, as a Gold, was upgraded to a Clubhouse suite overlooking the golf course and marvellous views of Juan de Fuca Strait and Mt. Baker in the background.

Like IrieDame I combined my stay by spending the weekend at the Westin and weekdays in the Victoria inner harbor area at the Executive House (next to the Marriott).

As others have said, you will need a car to get to the Westin, but its tranquil location is well worth the 30-minute drive. Beware that during the week at rush hour, the drive to and from town can take considerably longer (the Colwood Crawl).

If you do stay at the Westin Bear Mountain (and have a car), I strongly suggest the scenic drive going north up the Malahat until you get to Mill Bay. From there take the ferry to Brentwood Bay (25-minute crossing), which is where the Butchart Gardens are located.

RockyP
Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by schriste
I’m curious about this property because I will be in Victoria for 3 days in early July ’07. I checked out the SPG website as well as the developments website and decided against staying. Of course this is based on the website photos and a few reviews over at Trip Advisor that turned me off the property (some sited heavy construction going on, facilities not open yet, a heavily suburban aesthetic and rather sterile and oddly shaped rooms). I must say the golf course looks beautiful, but I don’t play golf.

So I have built in my mind a rather negative perception of the place… but of course I have never been there. Do I need to be reeducated and reconsider staying here?

I just returned form my 4 day stay (see original post) and I can assure you that, although there is substantial construction underway adjacent to the hotel complex, it does not noticeably detract from the hotel experience except that you can see a tower that is still being built nearby and the roads leading into the hotel are a bit chopped up. I think it is important to note that the Westin is a relatively minor part of a multi-billion dollar mixed use development on Bear Mountain that will eventually include something like 1,000 homes and 3,000 condos.

I have no hesitation in reiterating my earlier comments that this hotel is one of the best Westins in North America in terms of facilities, staff, and Platinum Amenities offered. There are several restaurants ranging from fine dining to pub atmosphere, a spa, and a health and fitness club. The location isn't ideal if you want to be downtown, but whether or not you golf (I don't), it's a relaxing property that's well worth checking out.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 4:19 pm

Location: somewhere Cl. III / III+, with green waves and friendly holes
Programs: *wood Platinum, HH Gold, OneWorld Emerald, QF GOLD, AP Premium, Mabuhay Elite, bunch o others...
resort fee?

How much do they charge 'resort fee' on top of room charge?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Christian
How much do they charge 'resort fee' on top of room charge?
I think that it's $15 CAD for non-Plats.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

For the "Victoria" experience stay 3 days at the Fairmont Empress (downtown) and 2 days at the Westin.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 9:58 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by Cascadia
For the "Victoria" experience stay 3 days at the Fairmont Empress (downtown) and 2 days at the Westin.
I would suggest Wickinnish Inn for a true BC experience - heaven! Thanks to the poster; I have wanted to try out this property for awhile. You've helped push me to book for the fall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.