Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

I get very annoyed at Y passengers using Business class toilets and overhead bins

I get very annoyed at Y passengers using Business class toilets and overhead bins

Old Jun 3, 2007, 7:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

This has occured too many times that im really annoyed. Many a times, i have seen Y class passengers, coincidentally, many of them aussie females using business class overhead bins for their baggage when there is space at the back.

Not even a request made to the crew for permission to use Business class bins which are intended mainly for business class passengers.

In Domestic Y esp on the 737s, i have witnessed too many times of passengers from Y using the toilets in business and the aisle is not blocked nor is there congestion at the back.

Very inconsiderate.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 7:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, EA
Why should it bother you so much?

It is annoying but to go through the trouble to post about it?

Jeez.

::flame suit on::
Old Jun 3, 2007, 7:49 pm

I agree with the OP.

The number of times I have seen Y pax drop a large bag into the J bins on the way through is more than enough for the FA's to be missing it.
If (and it is an if, more so than a when) I am in J, I want to be able to board later and get off quick, without having to stuff around looking for a spot for my bag.

There has been several times when I have had to call an FA for help, and they have had to move around other bags to get mine in...and J has been nowhere near full.

Could be a local thing, but I see this happening more out of SYD on an evening flight more than other places.
Making the FA's aware of it would help, but they are usually pretty busy at this time.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 9:04 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
How precious. Is there a rule against either of these things??

Being seated often in row 5 or 6, it is much more convenient to go forward to the toilets than back.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 9:35 pm

Programs: QF Plat | UA MP
While I avoid putting my luggage in the J O/H lockers when flying whY I have no qualms in using the toilet at the front of the plane.

I mean 1 toilet for 12 J pax versus 2 toilets for 150 odd in whY when on a 73H??

The FA's don't seem to mind and I suspect that most J pax also don't care.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 9:54 pm

Programs: Qantas FF, Air NZ, Singapore
My word

Global warming
Nuclear proliferation
Instability in the Middle East
Antibiotic resistant superbugs
Rapidly aging populations
Darfur

Passengers in Y using J toilets?

(edited - attack the argument not the poster)

Gazza

Last edited by willyroo; Jun 3, 2007 at 10:10 pm
Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:01 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Oh well, at least I put nuclear proliferation ahead of this...can't have everything.

Global what? Oh, warming - must be due to all of the hot air coming out of Al Gore and Peter Garret.

Now, to the topic at hand......

On a 737 with only 2 rows of J, if I'm in rows 3-6 or so, I'll be using the forward toilet. Deal with it.

On a model with more J seats and one of those funky "Business Class Passengers Only" past-this-point signs, I'll head down the back.

In both cases, unless I'm up-front.

If in rows 1-2, do I get annoyed by the great unwashed masses coming forward from steerage to use the loo? Nope, couldn't give a rat's arse.

Might be a very different matter on a 767 or 747 with very distinct class divisions though. For international, I recommend an El-Al security guard posted at the entry from WHY to J to gun them down, just like the zombies breaking out of containment in "28 weeks later".

That will put a stop to it.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:21 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I cant stand it when seated up front having to wait for lower classes to finish in the front toilet.

BUT, if I'm up front in WHY, I'd certainly use the front bog - unless some El Al dragon with the Uzi is blocking the way, or there is a meal cart blocking the way because someone from the "changing room" (sorry GoldFlyer!) is there first.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:24 pm

Programs: QP Silver; CX MPC Green; Virgin AusRed
Originally Posted by IainF
Could be a local thing, but I see this happening more out of SYD on an evening flight more than other places.
I guess the reason for that many of those pax would have a full day of business in SYD which explains why almost each pax would have a carry-on bag, plus their laptop. As space is very limited on those B73H, I have witnessed a few time that Y pax has to store their luggage in the J section after they realised there is no room for their bags in Y.

As for the toilet issue, I have to agree with many of the poster here in that it would be more convenient for pax in row 4-6 to use the front toilet. But unless the curtins are drawn, I would not hesitiate to use the front toilet if I am seated in the forward Y rows.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:29 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by icarius
This has occured too many times that im really annoyed. Many a times, i have seen Y class passengers...snip...business class overhead bins for their baggage when there is space at the back.
Agree
In Domestic Y esp on the 737s, i have witnessed too many times of passengers from Y using the toilets in business and the aisle is not blocked nor is there congestion at the back.
I think that any vacant toilet should be able to be used by anyone, regardless of class they are in...
Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:46 pm

I am not worried about toilets, as long as I get my go... It is just the baggage thing for me.

BUT I am interested to se what the reaction of some posters may be if they had paid $10K + to sit in the nice cabin of an INT flight and had a steady stream of Y pax wandering past all night....
Old Jun 3, 2007, 11:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

WOW, quick replies.

Originally Posted by shillard
On a 737 with only 2 rows of J, if I'm in rows 3-6 or so, I'll be using the forward toilet. Deal with it.
i wonder if i could adopt your attitude with UA's airbus A319 and smaller aircraft where air marshalls are onboard and some FAs do actually stop people from using front toilets. Do you think i can ask the marshal to prosecute Flyertalkers and not ME........

If you are the payer of a full fare Business domestic or International,i don't think you would take well to either toilet usage or space usage(esp if the FA did not give permission)by non Business class pax as its poaching and encroaching onto a right being paid for.

but then again, what do i know. Im happy this highlighted issue has attracted attention and maybe consideration in future.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 11:57 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Rhetorical question - I wouldn't fly UA if my life depended on it.

I mean literally. I'd start flapping my arms and jumping first.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:07 am

Programs: QP Silver; CX MPC Green; Virgin AusRed
Originally Posted by IainF
BUT I am interested to se what the reaction of some posters may be if they had paid $10K + to sit in the nice cabin of an INT flight and had a steady stream of Y pax wandering past all night....
Originally Posted by icarius
If you are the payer of a full fare Business domestic or International,i don't think you would take well to either toilet usage or space usage(esp if the FA did not give permission)by non Business class pax as its poaching and encroaching onto a right being paid for.
To a certain extent, one can stop these 'unwanted' pax by simply shutting the curtains between J and Y, this would give a strong a indication (to most people) that that section is for J pax only. This is almost standard practice on most international flights anyway which makes me wonder why QF chose not to close the curtain (if available) on domestic flights?
Old Jun 4, 2007, 1:42 am

Programs: QF WP + PG
I am completely with you on the baggage thing but the toilets. On a 737, I have no problems with a Y pass (me most of the time) using the J toilets, but on a 767, there is no reason that whY passengers should using the very front toilet and likewise, on a 744, the toilets in J should be exactly that, for J and likewise for F. But your point about the 737 is a little harsh.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.