Lotus 7.0 to MS Office Connector?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2007, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

Hi, I'm looking for a work-around to an issue I'm having with Lotus Notes 7.0. I want to be able to use MS Office 2003 or a webmail program (on my personal laptop to send/receive company email instead of my company's preferred Lotus Notes (installed on my company-issued laptop). I found a couple software programs online (like XTNDConnect), but I was hoping to find a cheaper (or free) alternative. Like I said, a webmail alternative would work even better than being able to use Outlook. For example, if there's a way to bounce my work email going through Lotus Notes directly to my Yahoo account so that I can send/receive from from anywhere, that would be ideal.

Also, if there's also a way to send/receive on my Sprint network Treo 650 that would be excellent as well. Sprints Business Connection software for use with Lotus Notes runs $25/mo, which is too high since this would be an reimbursable expense.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by scotty00; Jun 6, 2007 at 9:07 am
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:10 am

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Can you setup a rule that does a "redirect" on every incoming message?

You might want to be careful though...I'm not much for following the rules, but a lot or companies consider email private property and might consider forwarding outside en masse a violation of their terms of use.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:16 am

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Be careful you don't violate any privacy or communications policies by opening up your email to the web, I know several consulting firms who explicitly forbid it and if you do client services, they may not like it either.

Also, check to see if your company has a BES server, that's the best way to get email to a BlackBerry, Goodlink or others exist for non-BB devices.

Also, I'm running Notes 8 M5, and rest assured, improvements are on the horizon! But yes, Notes is a bummer when it comes to email.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SpaceBass
Can you setup a rule that does a "redirect" on every incoming message?

You might want to be careful though...I'm not much for following the rules, but a lot or companies consider email private property and might consider forwarding outside en masse a violation of their terms of use.
Yes, I can set up a rule to automatically forward email when it is received. However, when it comes into my yahoo account it shows that the email is from myself and it doesn't let me respond using my company address instead of my yahoo address.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Ok, I now see that gmail has an option to add another email account to my existing account (http://mail.google.com/mail/ "Accounts" tab), which would work great, however, I don't know the correct pop server (mail.companyname.com times out). Our IT person says that this isn't supported internally and won't help. Any suggestions?
Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:14 pm

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
There's a difference between forward and re-direct. See if you have an option for redirect which will keep the orignal sender intact.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 9:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
You may want to ask your admins if they have a VPN (Virtual Private Network) you can connect to when not on the Local Area Network at your company. You may also want to ask if they have iNotes or Lotus Web Access.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nevansm
You may want to ask your admins if they have a VPN (Virtual Private Network) you can connect to when not on the Local Area Network at your company. You may also want to ask if they have iNotes or Lotus Web Access.
I have and they don't. Basically they either don't have an option for me or they say it's against company policy. What I finally ended up doing was set up an agent to automatically forward all mail to my gmail account (which has a set up option to allow me to send mail as if it's from my work acct) and I then set up my Treo to receive mail from my gmail account. Not the cleanest workaround, but it will do!
Old Jun 8, 2007, 11:44 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by scotty00
I have and they don't. Basically they either don't have an option for me or they say it's against company policy.
WOW! As an Systems Manager at a large corporation with Notes, I don't know what I would tell people if we didn't have a remote access solution. It seems to me that I would rather spend some money and a weeks time getting that setup rather then having email forwarded out of my (Systems Admin) control and I cant imagine IT Security would be too pleased with that. But if it works, it works.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 12:22 pm

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by scotty00
I have and they don't. Basically they either don't have an option for me or they say it's against company policy. What I finally ended up doing was set up an agent to automatically forward all mail to my gmail account (which has a set up option to allow me to send mail as if it's from my work acct) and I then set up my Treo to receive mail from my gmail account. Not the cleanest workaround, but it will do!
Forwarding company email through gmail? WOW!!!

I sure hope you don't do client work, that would really irk me if I though I was sending stuff to your network and found it was going through gmail. Granted, there's a level of understanding email isn't secure, but putting in a search able database would not please me.

As an IT Security Professional, if I caught you doing that, I would make sure to throttle down your internet connection and crash your computer

Obscure punishment is so much fun
Old Jun 8, 2007, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kcnwa
Forwarding company email through gmail?
How is it any different than using Lotus Domino (webmail)? Either way, it's just communications with customers that I want to always be able to keep up on. Nothing sensitive is ever really transmitted to them or by them over email. Purchase orders go through EDI and all contracts are done in person.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I've had luck with the Microsoft (Lotus) Notes Connector. It provides a connection between Outlook client and Lotus Notes, as opposed to bouncing your email through foreign servers.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

However, I'm using Notes 6.5ish. The documentation asks for Notes 5.x or 6.x. So, it may not work. But it's worth looking into further. The connector itself is free. It has a quirk or two... but I think that's unavoidable when attempting to 'put lipstick on a pig'.

Internyet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.