Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Cancelled Flight To PIT

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2007, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Another Cancelled Flight To PIT

Continental has cancelled 2 flights from EWR to Pittsburgh on me in the last 3 weeks! In both cases they were unable to get me out anytime close to my original departure time. Today's cancellation was about 17 hours before the flight departure and still they could not book me on anything until following day. I live in NYC which means I can fly out of JFK or LGA but still nothing. I fly Continental regularly and have Gold status. I guess I am just not that important to them. Luckily, I live in NYC and can take my business to another airline.

Is this typical? Am I entitled to any compensation?
Old Jun 13, 2007, 7:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wetdog1
Am I entitled to any compensation?
what were the reasons for the cancellations? weather: no. mechanical: yes.

my crystal ball needs more inputs.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
If mechanical, did you ask to be put on US? I know they've got a number of direct flights from EWR.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Continental has cancelled 2 flights from EWR to Pittsburgh on me in the last 3 weeks! In both cases they were unable to get me out anytime close to my original departure time. Today's cancellation was about 17 hours before the flight departure and still they could not book me on anything until following day. I live in NYC which means I can fly out of JFK or LGA but still nothing. I fly Continental regularly and have Gold status. I guess I am just not that important to them. Luckily, I live in NYC and can take my business to another airline.

Is this typical? Am I entitled to any compensation?

What was the reason given for the cancellation?

Why do you think you are owed compensation?
Old Jun 13, 2007, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
I fly Continental regularly and have Gold status. I guess I am just not that important to them.
Do you think that Plats on your flight were treated better? How about Silvers or non-elites, think they were treated worse? Everybody's in the same boat on a cancellation. Available seats are available seats. At least they called you almost a day ahead of time. Would've it been better to wait until you got to the airport? I don't mean to sound harsh here. It does suck when a flight gets cancelled.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 8:31 am
Original Poster

1st Cancellation was weather - understandable, although Continental assumed the weather was going to bad and cancelled flights 8 hours before departure! (weather was not bad and a colleague had no issues flying out of JFK on Jetblue flight)

Today's cancellation was also "weather" - but it's almost a day in advance, is Continental going to start looking at the 10 day weather forecast and cancel flights days in advance.

No, I don't think I deserve compensation but if Continental insists on over booking flights so short delays and the preemptive cancellation of flights create a lot of ruined itineraries then I think they should be penalized.

Wonder why JetBlue has started service to Pittsburgh. Perhaps it's continued poor service from the legacy airlines.

...just ranting, 2 cancelled flights in just a few weeks to the same destination...
Old Jun 13, 2007, 8:38 am

Programs: SkyMiles Silver, OnePass Gold, AAdvantage Gold, AS, NW, US, UA, LH
Did you happen to see how many flights were CXLD over the past 48 hours at Newark? Actually, considering the extensive ATC problems there were surprisingly few flights CXLD, more flights were delayed 6 - 7 hours. Continental diverted ALOT of EWR-bound flights yesterday afternoon. Alot of flights ended up in Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Syracuse, Cleveland, and Detroit. Some of those flights even pushed back after refueling for the recovery leg and were returned again. After two days of such extensive ATC delays it is going to take a little time to get the entire system running smoothly again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.