Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3-1-1..Now thats what I'm talking about!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2007, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold Elite, DL, HH, Victoria Court Select Member
3-1-1..Now thats what I'm talking about!

Has anyone ever "sneaked" a larger than 3.4 oz container inside their baggie? You can easily fit larger items in it. I have rarely seen TSA examine the contents of the baggie. I guess the presence of the baggie implies compliance???

I have never done it but I know some FFers just love to see what they can "smuggle" through TSA checkpoints. Maybe it's an act of rebellion, or they might actually feel like they need the larger item. Personally, I don't care either way if someone manages to get a 4.5 oz liquid (or gel) onto a flight. I don't feel any safer knowing the little grandmother behind me couldn't have her bottle of Lubriderm.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 5:15 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
I've never done that, however at the checkpoint at FLO (Florence, SC) there was a first time flyer in front of me that had practically all his liquids thrown out. The TSA agent would read the volume out loud and tell him if he could keep it. This was back when it was 3.0oz and the agent threw away several 3.4oz containers.

Ironically I got through with 2 20oz water bottles from a previous trip that I didn't even know I had. Great job TSA
Old Jun 15, 2007, 5:57 am

Programs: DL, AA
Last week, the TSO did look at the contents of my baggie. She was carefully examining the label of the largest container. As I asked her if there was a problem, she commented on the brand, not the size (100 ml).
Old Jun 15, 2007, 6:07 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Was the brand f c u k? http://www.boots.com/images/product/1029130/hero.jpg
Old Jun 15, 2007, 6:24 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by uva185
LOL - nope. Not that interesting.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 7:02 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I've found that the drone's eyes usually become riveted to the KHIAI/KHIAAH printing and no longer look at the contents of the Freedom Baggie.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:15 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Originally Posted by Spiff
I've found that the drone's eyes usually become riveted to the KHIAI/KHIAAH printing and no longer look at the contents of the Freedom Baggie.
LOL, this has been my experience as well! I've had a "large" size gel deodorant (6.0 oz) in my freedom baggie for the past 2 month. Hidden in plain sight!

Obviously, the 6 weeks or so between the "liquid plot" and the freedom baggie option many, many of us carried toothpaste, hair gel and contact solution in our pockets with no problem.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage (PLT :(, 2MM), HHonors (Silver), Hertz (5 Star), Marriott (Silver)
connecting through Munich airport a couple weeks back I had one screener tell me my deodorant was too big - next time travel with smaller ... she looked a little embarressed when I pointed out the 3Oz size clearly on the label. I was not being rude and she was being nice and level headed (did not try to steal it).

The other transit screener let someone take a bottle of coke through by making the girl drink some then putting it through the xray and telling the girl she had to finish it quickly.

^ good work by the screeners; if they have to enforce the rules at least they use some common sense - not commenting on the absurdity of the rules

E
Old Jun 16, 2007, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold Elite, DL, HH, Victoria Court Select Member
Originally Posted by MKEbound
Obviously, the 6 weeks or so between the "liquid plot" and the freedom baggie option many, many of us carried toothpaste, hair gel and contact solution in our pockets with no problem.

They acted like they were doing us all a huge favor when they started allowing the tiny bottles of liquids packed in freedom baggies. It's kinda like marking up the price of a car by $2000 and then offering a $500 discount.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 6:27 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by viking407rob
They acted like they were doing us all a huge favor when they started allowing the tiny bottles of liquids packed in freedom baggies. It's kinda like marking up the price of a car by $2000 and then offering a $500 discount.
I cancelled 3 trips during the time that the Insanity Level increased to Padded Cell last August. Each time, I told the concierge of the airline exactly why I was cancelling each trip. I hope that made some small difference.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 1:04 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
I've taken liquids and gels through screening without the Freedom Baggie dozens of times and never once been nabbed for it. That gives me great confidence in their ability to stop explosives.

The TSA is utterly useless.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS, UA
I traveled MXP-AMS-MXP and ZRH-JFK-SEA-JFK with an 8oz tube of tooth paste. Granted it was mostly gone and there wasn't more than 3.4oz of tooth past left. I also had 400ml of body wash on my MXP-AMS flight which they didn't care about. They confiscated it AMS-MXP though. I was pissed.

I have also had contact solution that was above regulation size. It was fine MXP-BRU but confiscated before my BRU-JFK leg.

I guess that just tells you that they don't really care at MXP.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 9:00 am

Programs: DL Platinum, KE Morning Calm
Fairly soon after the liquid rules went into effect, I was going through JFK and got nabbed with a 4 oz bottle of moisturizer - which I was definitely going to need on my flight to Bangkok. The woman who caught it handed it and me down to the next TSO to handle. I said something like "Darn, I really like that stuff," he told me to wait a minute, and when the woman at the xray looked away he handed it back to me. I was pleased with his sanity level, I hope he didn't get in trouble for it eventually.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 10:19 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, US Air Dividend Miles
Originally Posted by Mandafly
Fairly soon after the liquid rules went into effect, I was going through JFK and got nabbed with a 4 oz bottle of moisturizer - which I was definitely going to need on my flight to Bangkok. The woman who caught it handed it and me down to the next TSO to handle. I said something like "Darn, I really like that stuff," he told me to wait a minute, and when the woman at the xray looked away he handed it back to me. I was pleased with his sanity level, I hope he didn't get in trouble for it eventually.
Which goes to show that while some TSO's really think they are doing something wonderful for national security, others are operating with some common sense!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.