Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Infrequent Travelers (VBIT) taking over flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2007, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat

I guess it's that time of year. More and more VBITs. In fact, it would not be a stretch to say VBITs have essentially taken over my IAD to DEN route.

The good news ... they check in all their bags, every single one. So the overhead bins are nearly empty

The bad news, I don't really like having my seat knocked repeatedly throughout the flight. And I don't really enjoy the incredibly loud conversations and yelling back and forth throughout the entire flight. In fact, call me selfish, but I would even prefer to even have an empty middle seat next to me up in old E+.

Unfortunately, more and more VBITs appear to be taking advantage of the 'upgrade' to E+. This is causing a devaluation in 1 of 2 UAL benefits that I actually care about ... and the other one (Star Alliance awards) is virtually gone.

Roger
Old Jun 24, 2007, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

VBITs?
Old Jun 24, 2007, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Very Bitchy Inconsiderate Traveler?
Old Jun 24, 2007, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by rjque
VBITs?
Vacation Bound Infrequent Traveler
Old Jun 24, 2007, 9:45 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
how do you tell a VBIT apart?

When you peek at their BP and there's no MP info (at all, not to say status) below the name?
Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:02 pm

This is good news...

The competition for upgrades should be less if these are all non-elite flyers.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, Motel 6 Tin
Originally Posted by TA

When you peek at their BP and there's no MP info (at all, not to say status) below the name?
Not really that hard to spot.

Take the woman on my UAX flight from IAD-ABE last week. Dressed stylishly in a bare midriff top that revealed a "chain" tattoo circumferencing her (at least 36") midsection.

Dragged a huge - I mean huge - plastic bag filled with stuff onboard. Proceeded to empty the contents of the bag into various overhead bins and under various seats (except her own, of course!).

Once her "stuff" was stowed, she reclined her seat and began talking loudly on her cell phone and did not end the call until we were on the runway awaiting takeoff. Her seat remained reclined for the duration of the flight.

Seated in the exit row, she slept from the time we went wheels up until we arrived at the gate at ABE, and snored loudly the whole time.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Are you sure she wasn't a very clever FAM?
Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TA
I can spot a VBIT by noticing those passengers with boarding passes that automatically check in with the gate agent upon arrival at the gate.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TA

A few tell tale signs:
-- Have boarding pass, but ask GA if they need to check in again; seem skeptical when GA says they're all set
-- Insist on trying to board with Seating Area 1, with a 3 or 4 pass
-- Sit in E+, but board last
-- If sitting in E+ exit row, call their friends before take off to boast about the new E+ seats
-- If sitting in normal E+, ask FA if there isn't some mistake as they paid for upgraded seats with extra leg room
-- Mention they paid $40 for the upgrade to E+
-- Seem very surprised to hear I did not pay for my E+ seat
-- No carry ons
-- Get confused when the FA asks them if they can handle the responsibility of sitting in the exit row
-- Dress in t-shirts with racing cars, baseball caps, jeans, and sneakers
-- Read guide books
-- Try to hold a conversation with me in spite of fact I have my Bose on and am looking straight ahead
-- Yell back and forth up and down rows to displaced family members
-- Ask how to plug in headphones
-- Ask FA several times what the time change is from Washington, D.C. to Denver ...
-- ... and seem to struggle with setting their watches accordingly
-- Spend 5 minutes quizzing the FAs on the snack box ingredients
-- Continually bang into the back of the seat in front of them
-- Seat reclined entire flight
-- Make numerous trips up and down the aisles to visit friends and family members traveling with, but not sitting with, them
-- Etc.
-- Etc.

Anyway, thanks to UAL's latest revenue generating idea, this is the new face of E+.

Last edited by Roger Lococco; Jun 24, 2007 at 10:26 pm
Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:15 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by TA
They start looking for seat numbers while still in FC cabin (which I see on those rare occations when I'm up there).

EmailKid
Old Jun 24, 2007, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
How about:

On a widebody, they look at the seat number on their boarding pass, then pick the WRONG aisle to walk down.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by emailkid
They start looking for seat numbers while still in FC cabin...
Hmmm, but that would ALSO describe a lot of frequent travelers! @:-)
Old Jun 24, 2007, 11:44 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
Insist on trying to board with Seating Area 1, with a 3 or 4 pass
Major to this. I just cannot understand why people think they should be allowed to board when it isn't their turn...

Also a major to GAs who allow this--I 'reminded' a GA about boarding protocol yesterday at LAX who decided to make their own rule and allow anyone to board anytime, from the getgo.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:08 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, Motel 6 Tin
Originally Posted by boeingair
Major to this. I just cannot understand why people think they should be allowed to board when it isn't their turn...

Also a major to GAs who allow this--I 'reminded' a GA about boarding protocol yesterday at LAX who decided to make their own rule and allow anyone to board anytime, from the getgo.
I agree with you. However, in fairness to some GAs in some situations, they may be under pressure to get the flight boarded for an "on-time" departure. Policing "naughty" pax trying to board "before their turn" can be time consuming, and may create a logjam at the BP reader as the GA asks them to "step aside" - further slowing the boarding process. It could be slowed down even further if the "naughty" pax elevate the situation into a confrontation.

Mind you, I'm not saying it's correct. I just wonder what I would do if I were the GA, and I was earning the big bucks UA pays them. Somehow, the old expression, "They don't pay me enough to take this s***." comes to mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.