Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report - '07 Mazda CX-9

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2007, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Ride Report - '07 Mazda CX-9

Upgraded on a C reservation this week at DFW...

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...ode=CX9&bhcp=1

This particular CX-9 had no options and was in Touring FWD trim, for a grand total of $31,730.

Powertrain: Like its cousin, the Ford Edge, the CX-9 comes with Ford's Duratec 3.5L V6 with 263 hp, which is overall a smooth and powerful motor. Unlike the Edge however, the Mazda's six-speed automatic feels more responsive, with quick downshifts and smooth upshifts. Fuel-economy is an EPA-estimated 18/24 mpg city/highway, and in mixed driving I've seen about 15.5 mpg.

Ride/Handling: Keeping with Mazda tradition, the CX-9 leans towards the sportier side, with overall dynamics being suprisingly capable for a 4200-lb vehicle. Steering is communicative and provides very good feedback, while chassis feel is similarly solid. Body roll is minimal and grip is excellent, but the payoff comes in a stiff ride and road noise from the aggressive tires. Wind noise is better controlled, and brakes are adequate for the vehicle, with good feel and slightly better-than-average stopping distances.

Interior: The CX-9 interior is a nice place to be, with plenty of space and easy-to-use controls. Tactile and materials quality are great, though there were a few lapses in build quality such as misaligned trim pieces. First and second-row space are excellent, and third-row space seems decent, but not roomy. Seat comfort and ergonomics earn high marks.

Design: The CX-9's styling is modern and reflects its sporting intentions, with taut lines and a low-slung profile. Exterior styling makes the Mazda look smaller than it really is, and inside, there's a nice combination of materials and simple design. Visibility is good all-around, and Mazda's signature red lighting scheme dominates the interior gauges.

Features: The CX-9 had the standard set of safety and convenience features.

Value: The CX-9 is classed as a Z, which I have only seen with the Toyota Highlander. In comparison to the Toyota (and the Ford Edge), the Mazda is more fun-to-drive and nicer, but it also gives up a bit of comfort and refinement in the process. For those looking for something less boat-like and still just as versatile however, the Mazda CX-9 is definitely the enthusiasts' choice in the Hertz lineup for a midsize SUV.

To sum it up:

The Good
Fresh design
SUV with a soul of a sports car
Spacious interior

The Bad
Slightly stiff ride
Some interior assembly issues

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.