FAQ: SPG and Priceline

Old Aug 2, 2004, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood, Marriott
Exclamation FAQ: SPG and Priceline

If you book a hotel on Priceline is it possible when you check-in to be eligible for an upgraded room or do you have to book it through Starwood?

Also, is it possible for you to book the hotel on Priceline, call a day or two after and apply some points to upgrade you to a suite?
Old Aug 2, 2004, 10:02 pm

The hotel may do something for you, but it is in the terms and conditions that elite benefits are not provided on Priceline / Hotwire type opaque rates.

Hyatt Gold Passport is the last remaining major chain to provide elite benefits on these types of rates.

Last edited by Tummy; Aug 2, 2004 at 10:04 pm
Old Aug 3, 2004, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Doesn't Marriott still provide said beneifts on such rates too? I thought so.
Looks like you are correct! Sorry for the misinformation.

Marriott is the only chain which I haven't stay at on Priceline, and also the only one which I've never had top status.

You get benefits and points for incidentals, but not stay credit.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 4:57 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus, Spanair +, Finnair, HHonors GOLD VIP ;>)
Question Checking Priceline reservation online at Starwood?

Could be off topic, but I try posting here anyway.
I have booked three days on Sheraton Skyline at London Heathrow through Priceline. Is there a way to check the reservation at Starwood online?
I have not put this question on biddingfortravel.com as it definetely would be off topic there...
Old Aug 24, 2004, 5:37 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus, Spanair +, Finnair, HHonors GOLD VIP ;>)
Question Quick replies!

Thank's for your quick replies! Less than 15 minutes ^
I just wanted to check type of room and maybe try to arrange a non smoking room, but it looks like I will have to call the hotel directly, or maybe someone else has another suggestion?

Last edited by besj; Aug 24, 2004 at 7:16 am Reason: Spelling mistake
Old Aug 24, 2004, 8:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75, Marriott Platinum
call hotel

I do this pretty often and call the hotel directly a few days after I book the room on priceline. Make a room request and give them your status information. Then call perhaps the night before to make sure everything is in order.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 4:57 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Starwood Priceline Bidding - HNL

Could someone please provide me with the link that gives advice on priceline bids for Starwoods in HNL?

Thanks and Aloha,
Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 3MM - DL - UA - HHONORS - HYATT - MARRIOTT - SPG
also, try this

http://www.betterbidding.com/
Old Sep 8, 2004, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Book through Priceline... Upgrade w/points?

Is it possible to book a hotel room through priceline.com and then call the hotel directly and use points to upgrade the room to a suite?

Also, how many points does it take to upgrade a room?
Old Sep 8, 2004, 9:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Don't know about upgrading a Priceline room. They let you do it on free award nights, so you'd think they would, but Starwood seems to be doing everything possible to make Priceline-booked rooms as unattractive as possible (except, of course, selling the rooms through that channel), so it wouldn't surprise me if you can't do it.

Here's a link to the award chart for Starpoint upgrades. Break out your de-coder ring, though. You'll need it.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Absolutely not. If SPG does this, then it is a betrayal of those of us who pay normal prices on their website. Why should someone who pays discounted rates get any benefits that those of us who pay real rates get? You pay "cheap", yet get "cheap"!
Old Sep 8, 2004, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
No upgrades and no points on money spent for room. My experience is that it is even on incidentals you need to fax in the receipts and you'll receive points for incidentals only. Depending on your spg status....the lack of upgrades might be an issue for you. Most report in general having good luck as plats getting upgrades when booking conventially through the spg web sit...full rate. As gold however upgrades were few and far between for me even when booking through spg.com .... very not worth the price difference between paying the going rate and doing priceline...imho.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 3:19 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
There are no elite upgrades anymore if you book through Priceline. However, redeeming points for an upgrade is another story.

I have been told by Platinum Concierge that one can upgrade a Priceline reservation, but only at the hotel as they are the only ones allowed to touch the reservation.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 3:34 am

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
Usually they are willingly to upgrade priceline rooms to higher class room for upgrade charges, that's what I sometimes do. No problem.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Absolutely not. If SPG does this, then it is a betrayal of those of us who pay normal prices on their website. Why should someone who pays discounted rates get any benefits that those of us who pay real rates get? You pay "cheap", yet get "cheap"!
I'm not talking about getting a free upgrade. I mean paying the Priceline rate (for example $100) and then using 10,000 points to upgrade to a suite.

Considering 10,000 points is a free night at a catergory 4 room, I'd say it's ALMOST the same thing.

I don't necessarily see a problem with booking a priceline room and then calling the hotel directly and using starwood points to upgrade to a suite. Not a free upgrade based on my level but using the points to upgrade.

Last edited by peterb1024; Sep 9, 2004 at 6:23 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.