Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Grand Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2002, 1:23 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany
Original Poster

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Arrow Sheraton Grand Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

Stayed at the Sheraton Jagdhof Fuschl and the Hotel Schloss Fuschl last weekend.

At the Jagdhof we stayed on a SPG award as the rate of about 220€ was a little bit high for an october weekend and 3.000 points offered a great value for an award.

We got one of the brand new rooms (207) in the middle building. We were probably the first guests there. The numbering is weird as 207 is on the first floor and the second floor rooms also start with a 2.

Nice and good bed (but not as good as the heavenly beds), armchair, small working desk, large TV, well staffed mini-bar with affordable prices (coke 2,90€, glenfiddich 5cl 5,90€), large closet, safe with built in power connector for laptop/phone, nice marble bathroom with seperate shower and bath-tube. Small balcony with lakeview.

Restaurant and Breakfast is in the old building, connected with an underground corridor.

Breakfast was 18€ for two and offered a great value. Very nice buffet.

The second night we moved to the Luxury Collection Hotel Schloss Fuschl, just 500m away. This was booked online on a 150€ rate (lakeview room).

I really thought that those luxury collection hotels would offer something special and was a little bit disappointed. We arrived at 14:00 and they said they don't have rooms until 15:00. We came back then and the receptionist gave us our room 215, a corner room with partial lakeview in the guest house. The guesthouse and the rooms are in this typical tyrolean boarding house style. The room was large and comfortable but there was nothing associated with 'luxury'... All those pictures they have online only show rooms in the old castle building, which we learned are all historical suits and are priced above 400€...

The room featured a table with two armchairs, a large tv, a minibar that was very well equipped in the booze section but was some 20% more expensive than that at the Jagdhof. The bed was not so comfortable. Also it had a small balcony. Bathroom was oldfashioned and worn and reminded me a little bit of those bathrooms typically found at 70's motels in the US. Toilet was in a separate and very small room.

We did not test the restaurant as it was very pricey and our taste was more for a schnitzel . For breakfast we did have to depart to early on 6:00 and with a price of 21€ p.P. it's also a little bit steep.

Both hotels share a spa and fitness facilities and have access to a 9 hole golfcourse.

As a SPG Gold both hotels offered a fruit basket.

I would definitely stay again there but would choose the Jagdhof only.
Old Oct 9, 2002, 1:38 am

Location: Meerbusch, Germany, Amex Centurion, SPG Plat, LH FTL,, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Thx for report. Do you have any status?
Old Oct 9, 2002, 2:03 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Thanks for your very interesting report. Until now I was very impressed by Austrian Starwood properties - but never stayed in one of the hotels you described. Many hotels within the brand "ArabellaSheraton" seam to have their "own unique smell": expectation and reality may differ considerably for some of the luxury properties.

There are advertisements in several Starwood properties withing Germany that "ArabellaSheraton Hotel Jagdhof" will officially re-open on 12-Oct-02. The website also lists that date. So you really was one of the first guests there .
Old Oct 9, 2002, 10:17 pm

We were scheduled to stay at the Schloss Fuschl in December, but I recently canceled the reservation, electing to stay in Salzburg, old towne. Schloss Fuschl is a short driving distance away. We were reserved for the main castle. Rooms were expensive, as well as breakfast. But the pictures on their website make the property look beautiful. Wonder if anyone else has stayed there?
Old Jan 22, 2003, 2:42 pm

Location: Europe - LH Sen; BA Silver; US SPref; *wd Plat, Hilton Gld
Trip Report: ArabellaSheraton Jagdhof

Stay at Jagdhof Jan 14-19.
The property was recently opened, or rather, the extension consisting of two remodeled buildings was recently opened. The property consists of three individual farm house style buidlings, all with a nice Austrian touch, connected via underground walk and glass covered tunnel. Spa is excellent, with sauna, steambath, pool, room with treadmills, machines, free weights etc. Restaurant in the old building, food is a bit on the expensive side for what it is, but definetely not bad. Nice breakfast buffet. Hotel is close to Schloss Fuschl, which is a 1460 castle, main building with more than few antiques (this being óne of the reasons for not staying there; I did not want to run after my 10 month old son destroying antiques or chewing up on an old carpet), but rather bland if you do not make it into the main building and have to stay in the guesthouses. Lake Fuschl, and the surrounding lakes are all pretty at any time of the year, this time however being my preferred time, as it is less congested compared to summer, where the area is swarming with tourists.

Plat Recogn. was excellent - I had my qualms about Arabella after a few less than promising experiences. When I called on Monday to confirm crib for son - three e-mails having gone unanswered - reservation told me that not only is the crib ready, but also a suite is ready. And, true to the word, they supplied an excellent Duplex Suite, without having to go through a song and dance routine; also, hotel was booked rather well, with conferences and seminars - the sort where they make you skip rope for the team building spirit -glad my job does not entail this!!!

Amenity fruit platter, Mineral Water - nothing to rave about, but I really don´t care about that stuff much anyway.

All in all, good place, very friendly staff, also close enough to Salzburg (15 min by car), if you want a bit of countryside to mix with the city.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 3:05 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany
Original Poster

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Thanx for this report!

I was there early October 02 and must be one of the first guests in the new part of the hotel. I liked it, too.

Just have to add: As for 3000/4000 points this is an excellent location for redeeming points for award stays IMO.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Plat; UAL 1K, Starwood Plat
My wife and I were there over the New Year and really enjoyed the hotel. The newly renovated rooms are very comfortable and well done. Overall, it's a great starting point to exploring the Salzburg area.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 11:50 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
? Sheraton Salzburg: Transport from SZG and train to Vienna.

I see from search that the Sheraton Salzburg looks good. I've booked a room. Can someone comment on transport from airport to Hotel? Also we will be going onto Vienna for two nights at the Vienna Renaissance (sorry, free nights). Can someone please comment on taking the train? Advance reservations necessary? Classes of service and travel time. Any comments helpful. Thanks
Old Mar 31, 2003, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA 2MM former EXP - driven away by "Enhancements", MVPG75, Hilton Diamond
Advance reservations are generally not necessary, although they are helpful if things are actually full. You can also get your seat assignments in advance if you purchase in advance, which allows you to know exactly where to board your railcar at the train station. A special note, their trains aren't like AMTRAK, which only sell a certain number of tickets, things can get packed in. I've stood for almost an hour (in second class) because there were no seats on an Intercity Train. This is usually only a problem in the summer or on holidays.

The train takes anywhere from a little over 3 hours to 3 hours 40 minutes. I recall the intercity trains run every 2 hours, if not every hour. Trains are two classes and I can't comment on first class because I've never actually bought one of those tickets. The seats are "comfier" and slightly more spacious is what I recall. It should be less crowded in first class, especially in the summertime. And if you are travelling summertime, crowded may be an issue depending on day of travel.

The train stops at the West Train station (Westbahnhof) in Vienna, which is only a short cab, streetcar (I think it's number 58, it may be 52 instead), or subway (U6/U4 transfer needed) ride away from the Hotel Renaissance.

I love riding Austrian trains, they're clean, generally on-time, and the scenery from the train beats the views from the Salzburg Vienna Autobahn.

Enjoy your stay, I'm looking forward to being in Austria myself this summer!
Old Mar 31, 2003, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thank you. Much appreciated.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 5:17 pm

Programs: AGR Select +
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE:
I see from search that the Sheraton Salzburg looks good. I've booked a room. Can someone comment on transport from airport to Hotel? Also we will be going onto Vienna for two nights at the Vienna Renaissance (sorry, free nights). Can someone please comment on taking the train? Advance reservations necessary? Classes of service and travel time. Any comments helpful. Thanks</font>
Old Mar 31, 2003, 5:21 pm

Programs: AGR Select +
The Sheraton Hotel in Salzburg is very good. Salzburg is a most interesting city. You must take the Sound of Music tour. We took the train to Vienna, first class which was very nice and comfortable. Only problem, the German's always sit in the wrong seats!!!!! Enjoy both Salzburg and Vienna - both are great cities.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 7:19 pm

Programs: Lots
You can find train schedules et al at http://www.oebb.at

Good site
Old Apr 14, 2003, 3:20 pm

I've faxed the Hotel twice. No reply. Can someone please comment on the general area of price for a First Class ticket from Salzburg to Vienna? Also on transport from Vienna Station to the Bristol? I got a great rate as compared to my last trip and now looking to stay at the Bristol. Comments on options to VIE from Bristol also appreciated. Thanks
Old Apr 15, 2003, 8:37 am

Salzburg - getting from the airport to the Sheraton - You can catch a bus from the airport to the main train station (cost is 1-2 euros - can't remember exact fare but it wasn't much - probably a 20 min ride). From the hbf, it is a 10-12 min walk - doable if you don't have too much luggage. If not, you can catch a bus going towards the river and ask the driver where to get off.

Vienna - from the main train station to the Bristol - If memory serves me right - the U-bahn drops you right at the Bristol (across the street depending on which exit you take). I think there is a change of lines involved. You can easily check this by finding the website and following the lines.

I believe the rough cost for a 2nd class ticket between Salzburg and VIE is between 20-30$. First class is probaly 50% more.

[This message has been edited by acnev (edited 04-15-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.