Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

US certifies Virgin America Airlines for service...starts SFO transcon in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US certifies Virgin America Airlines for service...starts SFO transcon in August

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2007, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

This worked so well for America West a few summers ago...let the fare wars begin.

US certifies Virgin America Airlines for service
Wednesday, July 11, 2007 3:36:54 PM (GMT-04:00)
WASHINGTON, July 11 - U.S. aviation authorities on Wednesday granted Virgin America Airlines, the low-cost carrier with marketing ties to British entrepreneur Richard Branson, the operating permits necessary to begin service, the company said.

The carrier plans to start flying in August from its San Francisco base. Virgin America will operate a fleet of new Airbus A319s and A320s and plans to serve up to 10 cities within a year of starting operations.

Virgin America won regulatory approval of its business plan in May after agreeing to restructure its financing and agreeing to change its executive leadership to satisfy a U.S. law that limits overseas influence in domestic airlines.
nWAT007865

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Jul 11, 2007 at 2:07 pm
Old Jul 11, 2007, 2:11 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
If you have already seen it, check out their first class product; it's quite classy.

It almost looks like they used the same seat CO uses (but with white leather) and they have a foot rest, IFE (nose to tail) and as much pitch as BF (55").
Old Jul 11, 2007, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
HP was not competing with a premium product that easily shredded the F cabins of its competitors.

Am not including UA P.S. in this equation...
Old Jul 11, 2007, 2:17 pm

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
Hmmm... will HOUSTON be one of their destinations, I wonder?
Old Jul 11, 2007, 2:19 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Originally Posted by ElkeNorEast
They're rumored to serve LAS, LAX, NYC and IAD.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by J.Edward
If you have already seen it, check out their first class product; it's quite classy.

It almost looks like they used the same seat CO uses (but with white leather) and they have a foot rest, IFE (nose to tail) and as much pitch as BF (55").
Nice. Seems like they're aiming at UA's p.s. and AA's 762 trans-con.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Nice. Seems like they're aiming at UA's p.s. and AA's 762 trans-con.
P.S. is angled-flat in F, correct?
Old Jul 11, 2007, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
P.S. is angled-flat in F, correct?
p.s. is horizontal flat-bed in F, cradle seat in C. I mean Virgin America is aiming at the C product on p.s., not F.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

I just get misty eyed at the days of the ATA transcons...and the friendly $200 fares from CO to take care of that little 'problem.' Those were the days: $200 fare, and...anyone remember this...Silvers getting regular upgrades on trranscons because First Class fares were still well into the four figures.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
HP was not competing with a premium product that easily shredded the F cabins of its competitors.

Am not including UA P.S. in this equation...
Even the coach cabin in VX looks awesome compared to CO. VX definitely will be getting some of my WAS-SFO business.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will keep my hopes modest. If VX grows and puts pressure on the premium offerings of competitors, perhaps CO will refresh domestic F a bit. Adding something as simple as footrests (not necessarily legrests) would make a huge difference. The CO F seat is Okay, but it's not the softest or most ergonomically designed offering out there. The little lumbar support lever is a joke, and does not provide adequate comfort (at least to me) on longer flights.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
This worked so well for America West a few summers ago...let the fare wars begin.

US certifies Virgin America Airlines for service
Wednesday, July 11, 2007 3:36:54 PM (GMT-04:00)
WASHINGTON, July 11 - U.S. aviation authorities on Wednesday granted Virgin America Airlines, the low-cost carrier with marketing ties to British entrepreneur Richard Branson, the operating permits necessary to begin service, the company said.

The carrier plans to start flying in August from its San Francisco base. Virgin America will operate a fleet of new Airbus A319s and A320s and plans to serve up to 10 cities within a year of starting operations.

Virgin America won regulatory approval of its business plan in May after agreeing to restructure its financing and agreeing to change its executive leadership to satisfy a U.S. law that limits overseas influence in domestic airlines.
nWAT007865
THANK GOD! Virgin America will finally make CO's First Class seem inferior. After all of CO's dirty tricks to prevent Virgin America from flying failed... quite funny.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
THANK GOD! Virgin America will finally make CO's First Class seem inferior. After all of CO's dirty tricks to prevent Virgin America from flying failed... quite funny.
Yeep, just as VK pulled their stunts on CO. @:-)

Moving on, I do like their product and think they've got something solid. The only ones I would consider (assuming I was shopping on product alone) would be UA's PS F, AA's 767 or CO's 752.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 2:51 pm

Programs: CO non-elite, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ElkeNorEast
They said within 5 years.

Virgin America expects to serve as many as 10 cities within a year of operation and up to 30 cities within five years of service. Additional cities under Virgin America’s consideration include: Atlanta, Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Hartford, Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Miami, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Nashville, Newark, New Orleans, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Providence, Portland, Ore., Raleigh-Durham, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, San Jose, Calif., Sarasota, Seattle, St. Louis, Tampa and West Palm Beach.
http://www.virginamerica.com/informa...php?article=34
Old Jul 11, 2007, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by CO 1E
Even the coach cabin in VX looks awesome compared to CO. VX definitely will be getting some of my WAS-SFO business.
I have to agree with you there. The big question will be the price points, which will be revealed soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.