Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin America Update

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2007, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
Virgin America Update

Virgin America just got the green light to start selling tickets today so we should be seeing ticket sales for Virgin America flights soon. ^
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...C6395CEC8E4%7D
Old Jul 11, 2007, 7:41 pm

Programs: AF Gold, QF Plat, VX, AA, UA
awesome!!
Old Jul 13, 2007, 1:36 pm

Programs: eleVAte (Virgin America)

Last edited by Absinthe; Jul 21, 2007 at 2:12 pm
Old Jul 13, 2007, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Absinthe
I am EXTREMELY EXCITED & ANXIOUS for VA to begin!! It won't be long now at all!!

And SkaterJasp, your tag line:

jetBlue spoiled me with the DirecTV, XM Radio, Spa Kits, extra legroom, low fares, and Awesome service.

will be instantly obsolete once VA starts flying next month! The service, In-Flight Entertainment, low fares and "hottie factor" of VA's flight attendants are going to make your head spin! Trust me on this one!

Believe me the glamour factor quickly runs out when your number 50 for takeoff at JFK. Been there, done it have the tee shirt. Good luck with those low fares on those transcons at $72 a barrel. Not a good time to be starting an airline.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 6:51 pm

I am EXTREMELY EXCITED & ANXIOUS for VA to begin!! It won't be long now at all!!

And SkaterJasp, your tag line:

jetBlue spoiled me with the DirecTV, XM Radio, Spa Kits, extra legroom, low fares, and Awesome service.

will be instantly obsolete once VA starts flying next month! The service, In-Flight Entertainment, low fares and "hottie factor" of VA's flight attendants are going to make your head spin! Trust me on this one!
32"s in the econo isn't much to brag about. before you get on my case I am best friends with several of your top 10 seniority list pilots. If you don't believe me I'll private email you their names.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
I never denied the fact that I love everything that jetBlue has to offer and at the same time I had also always supported Virgin America. However, I do have to agree with dietcoke and that the only thing that would keep me away from Virgin America is the 32" seat pitch. Yes, its a inch more than most other airlines, however, its nothing compare to jetBlue's 36" seat pitch.

To be more realistic, I'm most likely going to continue to use jetBlue, but at the same time, also use Virgin America. What I do see happening for myself, based on proposed routes by Virgin America, is fully abandoning Southwest and American Airline for domestic flights and consolidating all my travel to 2 airlines, jetBlue and Virgin America. I think I will see myself using jetBlue on long flights and Virgin America on shorter flights. However, that all may change.

The only downside I see with Virgin America and jetBlue will have to be the SFO - JFK route because SFO is prone to more weather related delays compare to OAK and SJC while JFK is known for delays.... we know how jetBlue handles it, let see how Virgin America handles it.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 3:39 pm

Last edited by Absinthe; Jul 21, 2007 at 2:12 pm
Old Jul 14, 2007, 4:04 pm

Last edited by Absinthe; Jul 21, 2007 at 2:11 pm
Old Jul 15, 2007, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Enough sniping.

The topic of this thread is Virgin America's ability to sell tickets. Some folks are excited, others are skeptical, but posts need to stay (1) on-topic and (2) civil / not directed personally at other members.

Period.

I've deleted a couple, don't have time to thoroughly cleanse nastiness, but members are broadly warned not to attack each other.

Thank you.
Gary
aka gleff
Senior moderator
Old Jul 15, 2007, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
VA actually has a 33" (not 32") pitch in the main cabin. That extra inch makes a big difference.

Seats

* 32 inch pitch (32 & 33 on the A319)

http://www.virginamerica.com/differe...Dmaincabin.php
Old Jul 15, 2007, 2:38 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
VA actually has a 33" (not 32") pitch in the main cabin. That extra inch makes a big difference. The main cabin issue is moot though: let's talk about VA's 55" First Class seats which fully recline into a bed (and includes a massager!) VA is the ONLY domestic carrier to have such seats. And these 8 1st Class seats will be very affordable ~ even on the cross country flights.
Actually, as mentioned above, coach seats on Virgin America stand at 32" pitch...even if it was 33", jetBlue wins at 34" and 36". Virgin: redeye. JetBlue: ShutEye.

Oh, and in regards to that lovely 55" massager seat: yeah, it's nice and I will admit it looks VERY comfortable, but keep in mind that the GREAT MAJORITY will NOT experience that luxury.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 2:42 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Yep ~ unfortunately the JFK delays are real & horrible, however, when I'm stretched out in the massaging 55" 1st class seat I'll be sleeping thru it all anyway! And if I'm in coach, I'll probably be texting that babe I noticed while boarding sitting a few rows in front of me (the entire aircraft is hooked up w/ seat-to-seat text messaging and chat rooms) or enjoying some quality NBC/Universal TV show or movie or listening to the latest audiobook from my favorite authors from my seatback.
Good luck stretching out in the massaging 55" first class seat during a TAXIWAY wait. Airplanes on an active taxiway waiting for takeoff (no matter what # in line) must be takeoffready and you won't have the ability to recline.

Also, what ever happened to flirting with a girl in person? Now we're on airplane text messaging???

I'm not saying this airline won't make it, because it probably will. The only reason why is the brand name and the cash "you know who" will be throwing out the window to keep it alive.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
Actually, as mentioned above, coach seats on Virgin America stand at 32" pitch...even if it was 33", jetBlue wins at 34" and 36". Virgin: redeye. JetBlue: ShutEye.

Oh, and in regards to that lovely 55" massager seat: yeah, it's nice and I will admit it looks VERY comfortable, but keep in mind that the GREAT MAJORITY will NOT experience that luxury.
Well, maybe if they sell enough, they'll add another row, but the economics on that aircraft mean the fares have to be "not insubstantial" as 1 row of the F seats (4) = 12 Y seats. I hope, however, that this market entry brings some sanity back to the UA PS premium fares.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Well, maybe if they sell enough, they'll add another row, but the economics on that aircraft mean the fares have to be "not insubstantial" as 1 row of the F seats (4) = 12 Y seats. I hope, however, that this market entry brings some sanity back to the UA PS premium fares.
Agree about the crazy UA PS fares, but I was talking about the # of coach pax compared to that of first class on VA. The marjority will be in coach, as with all multi-class airlines.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

ummm should someone just start a new thread and label it Virgin America vs jetBlue / UA PS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.