Wiki Posts
Search

Retiring Pilot - no more water salute

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2007, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Retiring Pilot - no more water salute

Just got off of UA 941, the FRA-ORD flight. Not only did I manage resisting posting a question about which is the best lounge in FRA, but I encountered a captain who was on his last flight today.

Was looking forward to the water salute. When it didn't happen, one of the FAs reminded me what happened at Dulles and how UA doesn't do them anymore (but other airlines still do).
Old Jul 11, 2007, 3:54 pm

Location: my posts are my sole opinion and do not represent the opinions of UAL CORP and their subsidiaries
Originally Posted by LessO2
Was looking forward to the water salute. When it didn't happen, one of the FAs reminded me what happened at Dulles and how UA doesn't do them anymore (but other airlines still do).
What a shame!
Old Jul 11, 2007, 4:10 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I believe that it isn't UA that doesn't do it, rather it is UA that doesn't pay the fire dept for it. That isn't to say (and this is just what I "heard", no direct knowledge) that the friends of the pilot who are with him on the last flight can't pay themselves for it. No clue what the cost is, but I don't believe it is done by the fire depts out of the goodness of their hearts or respect for retiring pilots in general. ($$$)
Old Jul 11, 2007, 4:16 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Here's the thread about the Dulles incident in case anyone's wondering:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=636222
Old Jul 11, 2007, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by l'etoile
Here's the thread about the Dulles incident in case anyone's wondering:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=636222
Thanks. I was wondering. Cheers.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 5:32 pm

Location: Another aeroplane, another sunny place, I know I'm lucky but I just want to go home.
Programs: Paris Metro, BART monthly pass holder; Amtrak rider; Safeway, Costco club member :D
As far as I know, this is an option and pilots do pay for it themselves.

But, on the bright side, they get to choose their destination and get to bring whoever they want on positive space, and it doesn't have to be a round trip.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 5:54 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Mrotenfan
But, on the bright side, they get to choose their destination and get to bring whoever they want on positive space, and it doesn't have to be a round trip.
Not true unless things have changed. I flew on a pass (on my seniority as I was too old to fly on dad's) when Fastair Sr. retired, although I think Mrs Fastair Sr. might have gone positive space. Maybe it is limited to your eligibles?
Old Jul 11, 2007, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When it didn't happen, one of the FAs reminded me what happened at Dulles and how UA doesn't do them anymore (but other airlines still do).
Sounds like a great excuse for UA.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 6:52 pm

I thought water cannon salutes are only for things like retiring last plane of its kind, first flight to Beijing, and such ...
Old Jul 11, 2007, 7:35 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by fastair
Not true unless things have changed. I flew on a pass (on my seniority as I was too old to fly on dad's) when Fastair Sr. retired, although I think Mrs Fastair Sr. might have gone positive space. Maybe it is limited to your eligibles?
AFAIK eligibles go PS for the final flight.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhmlurker
I thought water cannon salutes are only for things like retiring last plane of its kind, first flight to Beijing, and such ...
Nope...used to be for retiring captains, but evidently according to this thread, that's changed.

I have been on a few flights where we got sprayed since it was the captain's last dance.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:08 pm

QR is apparently brave enough to get a water salute at IAD:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070711/nyw096.html?.v=101

"Qatar Airways' historic maiden flight to Washington, D. C. will touch down at Dulles International Airport next week to a "fireman's salute" water arch ceremony and a fanfare of music and entertainment."
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Just got off of UA 941, the FRA-ORD flight. Not only did I manage resisting posting a question about which is the best lounge in FRA, but I encountered a captain who was on his last flight today.

Hold it!! Are you sure you were on 941??? This just TOO much of a coincidence. I just got off of UA901 from FRA to SFO, and the pilot, age 60, also was doing his retirement flight! I too was expecting the water salute, even had my camera ready. But no joy.

Very odd to have 2 retirement flights on the same day out of FRA!!!
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
What kind of salute or tribute does a FA get when retiring?
Old Jul 11, 2007, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by carl92103
What kind of salute or tribute does a FA get when retiring?
These days of cheapo UA? I'd guess a drunk baggage handler urinates on the tires.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.