Will UA defend its SFO-LAX route?

Old Jul 19, 2007, 2:11 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Will UA defend its SFO-LAX route?

Noticed this morning that Virgin has come out with pricing SFO-LAX, and will charge $44 one way in coach for their cheapest tickets, and offer first class with massage seats for $149 one way. They will offer 5 flights a day, about the same that AA offers in this market.

Clearly UA owns this market, and carries more passengers between SFO-LAX than any other carrier. Can we expect UA to drop fares this low to hold onto market share, or will sheer volume of flights leave them in a position that they don't need to respond or would only need to respond for flights at similar times of day?

Your thoughts?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 19, 2007 at 2:24 am Reason: moot
Old Jul 19, 2007, 2:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
Anyone have an estimate of how much of United's SFO-LAX traffic is O&D on both ends? Probably not too much, and it's that traffic that Virgin is targeting. I would still imagine that SFO-LAX will remain a huge route for the int'l (and domestic, I guess) connections at SFO for people based in LAX.

Also, the price-conscious SFO-LAX travelers already have Southwest. The only difference here, then, is an additional 5 flights, and first class. Still, I don't see it as being too big of a problem for United's SFO-LAX profitability.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 2:57 am

Programs: UA ex-1K (now nothing), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jjj8
Anyone have an estimate of how much of United's SFO-LAX traffic is O&D on both ends? Probably not too much, and it's that traffic that Virgin is targeting. I would still imagine that SFO-LAX will remain a huge route for the int'l (and domestic, I guess) connections at SFO for people based in LAX.

Also, the price-conscious SFO-LAX travelers already have Southwest. The only difference here, then, is an additional 5 flights, and first class. Still, I don't see it as being too big of a problem for United's SFO-LAX profitability.
I don't know about that. When Frontier jumped into the market, UA's prices went down to match them; when Frontier left; they jumped right back up. (I pay attention to these things, since I am O&D traffic on this route!)
Old Jul 19, 2007, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
SW was pricing out around $125 RT for BUR/OAK; vs UA $300 plus LAX/SFO. I have to buy 2 tickets (in addition to the tix I need for the Raiders game in December.

Maybe I'll wait a while and see if UA matches.

Last edited by dhammer53; Jul 19, 2007 at 9:35 am Reason: meant to say OAK, not ONT
Old Jul 19, 2007, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjj8
Anyone have an estimate of how much of United's SFO-LAX traffic is O&D on both ends? Probably not too much
I would disagree with that. Yes, a good portion is for int'l connections out of SFO, but LAX and SFO are two very big cities with a lot of biz travelers needing to go between them.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by UNITED959
I would disagree with that. Yes, a good portion is for int'l connections out of SFO, but LAX and SFO are two very big cities with a lot of biz travelers needing to go between them.
Absolutely. I would say that the O&D traffic on both ends is quite high. My guess would be that relatively speaking, it is one of the lower "connection" routes in the whole UA domestic network.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by UNITED959
... LAX and SFO are two very big cities with a lot of biz travelers needing to go between them ...
Totally agree ... something like New York and London.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by DogHead
Totally agree ... something like New York and London.
That'll be UA pulling out of SFO-LAX completely then
Old Jul 19, 2007, 8:34 am

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
The largest domestic airline travel market in the United States is Northern California/Southern California shuttle traffic. It's O&D city.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
If history is any marker, UA has always protected this market vigorously. Years ago, it was UA & PSA on the intra-state market between these two cities, and they have upped the ante every time some carrier makes a move. DL, AA, US, etc., have all tried to get more market share and lost each & every time, driving them all either out of the market, or cutting back to minimal daily service.

And it is a HUGE O&D city pairing. There are loads of connections on either end, granted, but the O&D traffic is VERY high.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
UA if you are smart, you need to match.

I'm NOT going to pay $300 to fly LAX-SFO when I can fly the same route on AS, AA, B6, WN (LAX/SNA/BUR-SFO/OAK) for $125 all in.

500 EQMs + 1000 RDMs <<< $175 savings

I was hoping you'd get my hint when I faxed in my AS and B6 statement with loads of SNA/LGB-OAK flights
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:25 am

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FCYTravis
The largest domestic airline travel market in the United States is Northern California/Southern California shuttle traffic. It's O&D city.
Isn't it also one of the busiest flight corridors in the country, if not world?

Notice how WN conviniently left SFO-LAX off of its initial SFO reintroduction? Probably didn't want to get killed on the route.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cstead

Notice how WN conviniently left SFO-LAX off of its initial SFO reintroduction? Probably didn't want to get killed on the route.
Not sure why WN would get "killed" on the route. WN already carries more pax between the Bay Area and Southern California than any other carrier. I suspect that WN's choice to serve other markets has to do with the higher profit potential on those routes.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FCYTravis
This is such a hard thing to judge. I've seen data where NYC-FLL route has the most traffic of any domestic market (closely followed by NYC-LAX). Then there are the gillion flights that both UA and AA have ORD-LGA/EWR. And HNL-OGG has a ton of flights as well!

I just tried doing some research on this and stats are hard to come by that answer my questions; however, when looking at congestion maps...the East Coast is much more saturated than the West Coast.

That being said, I do know that the specific LA-SF "market" has a ton of O&D traffic.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cstead
Are you talking about ARTCC? If so, then yes...Oakland Center controls the largest geographic space, but the busiest centers are Chicago and Cleveland, I believe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.