Wiki Posts
Search

CONSOLIDATED New AA Benefits w/ PLAT AMEX THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2007, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

CONSOLIDATED New AA Benefits w/ PLAT AMEX THREAD

Supposedly new offerings coming on the platinum card in the next few weeks or so, called "Project Dallas" internally at AmEx. Anyone else heard anything about this and/or know what it might be about? Last announcement was the 2-4-1 domestic program, which seems to be working out pretty well for some folks. It'd be nice to scorer another positive benefit from AX this year.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 9:28 pm

Interesting. I await to see what it is.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 9:31 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Let the rumor mill begin....
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:42 am

Programs: USAir Gold, Delta Slvr, Amex Plat, Hertz #1 Gold
Haven't heard anything about it, but I will say, I would LOVE it if they came out with something similar to Centurion's airline status program, and would even be willing to pay more for the card than the $450 I am paying now if that came about.

Maybe they could do status gifts to silver (or gold for USAir) instead of gold/plat like centurion. Still would be a nice way to benefit us
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I don't want to see the cost go up (and I don't think it will), so I don't think that status is coming as part of this. Not entirely sure what else it might be, but I've heard mid-August as an announcement point.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by brosnan6
Let the rumor mill begin....
It's too obvious, but there is an airline headquartered near Dallas that would make a fine addition to Membership Rewards .

Last edited by mia; Jul 24, 2007 at 5:45 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Jul 24, 2007, 1:20 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Ok - in the absence of information, here are some thoughts (mods - feel free to delete if I went too far):

1. New metal platinum card (made from aluminum) - embedded multi-media player. Not much memory, so they've embedded a brief clip of JR being shot.
2. It's really secret - even after the announcement, people will disagree on the substance. The announcement will be on November 22.
3. Double MR points for retail gas purchases from chains which purchase from Texas-based refineries.
4. Triple MR points at Billy Bob's (do they still exist?)
Old Jul 24, 2007, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by mia
It's too obvious, but there is an airline headquartered in Dallas that would make a fine addtion to Membership Rewards .
That would be great. Never thought of that. All I would need to do is transfer 2M MR points to AA and get lifetime Plat.

Originally Posted by mbreur
1. New metal platinum card (made from aluminum) - embedded multi-media player. Not much memory, so they've embedded a brief clip of JR being shot.
2. It's really secret - even after the announcement, people will disagree on the substance. The announcement will be on November 22.
3. Double MR points for retail gas purchases from chains which purchase from Texas-based refineries.
You forgot the $5K Costco gift-card for all Cent. members.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 1:46 pm

Programs: USAir Gold, Delta Slvr, Amex Plat, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by mbreuer
Ok - in the absence of information, here are some thoughts (mods - feel free to delete if I went too far):

That's pretty funny, lol.

An aluminum card would be damned cool, though, on a serious note!

I still want a status program!!

It is becoming harder to throw your business to just one airline, at least in my neck of the woods, since the domestic route structure reductions last year.

It would be cool to have at least some kind of status on a few of them, with no minimums.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
WN? I thought they were already part of MR?

Originally Posted by mia
It's too obvious, but there is an airline headquartered in Dallas that would make a fine addition to Membership Rewards .
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:26 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by entilzhaFT
WN? I thought they were already part of MR?
I think he meant AA. I'm not sure.... but they are based out of DFW, right?
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:45 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I was indeed referring to American Airlines, even though the head office is nearby in Fort Worth. Despite the fact the Citi has begun to issue Amex network cards I would be surprised if Citi would share access to AAdvantage with any other card issuer. I would not be surprised if Membership Rewards added some freestanding AA awards, similar to the Cathay Pacific offers.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 6:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by chriswufgator
An aluminum card would be damned cool, though, on a serious note!
Seconded, but I guess the whole "mixed messages" effect (Platinum card on Aluminum metal) will kill that idea pretty quickly.

Of course, there's nothing to prevent them from applying a thin layer of Pt over Al, right?
Old Jul 25, 2007, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by mia
It's too obvious, but there is an airline headquartered near Dallas that would make a fine addition to Membership Rewards .
Sorry, it's not AA. It's Southwest. Project Dallas gives you FREE first class upgrades at time of booking on Southwest no matter what class of service you pay for, and you get Southwest's highest elite status. Additional cost is only $49 per year to Platinum card holders.

Mike
Old Jul 25, 2007, 11:57 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by mikeef
Sorry, it's not AA. It's Southwest. Project Dallas gives you FREE first class upgrades at time of booking on Southwest no matter what class of service you pay for, and you get Southwest's highest elite status. Additional cost is only $49 per year to Platinum card holders.

Mike
So... a guaranteed "A" BP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.