New C NARROWER than old C?

Old Jul 25, 2007, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
New C NARROWER than old C?

From the employee Q & A:

Q. What are the physical dimensions of new international United Business seat?
New United Business Current United Business
Width
19" (23.5 including armrest) 23.27
Length 76-77" 55" pitch

Recline 180 degrees 147 degrees
Direction Forward and rear facing seats
Forward facing seats

From the current UA website airplane maps -- seat width

747 20"
767 19"
777 20.5"

It looks to me like the butt part of the seat is actually shrinking. Am I missing something?
Old Jul 25, 2007, 11:48 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
By laws of geometry, there has to be narrowing when going from 7-abreast on 747s and 777s to 8-abreast.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Yes, but I believe for take off and landing. Once airborne, like the FirstSuite today, you will be able to drop the armrest, and you'll have 23.5 inches. (Or more, if you hang over the edge.)
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:30 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Tom Beyersdorf
From the employee Q & A:

Q. What are the physical dimensions of new international United Business seat?
New United Business Current United Business
Width
19" (23.5 including armrest) 23.27
Length 76-77" 55" pitch

Recline 180 degrees 147 degrees
Direction Forward and rear facing seats
Forward facing seats

From the current UA website airplane maps -- seat width

747 20"
767 19"
777 20.5"

It looks to me like the butt part of the seat is actually shrinking. Am I missing something?
It has to be 19" or less, as they are maintaining 2-2-2 on the 763's and those C seats are 19" now. They can't get any wider or 2-2-2 wouldn't be possible.

- T
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:42 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by TonySCV
It has to be 19" or less, as they are maintaining 2-2-2 on the 763's and those C seats are 19" now. They can't get any wider or 2-2-2 wouldn't be possible.

- T
Unless the aisle gets a bit smaller.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Clearly, the 767 suddenly becomes the most desirable AC in the fleet.......
Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:23 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Over on the LH board they are saying

Competition for the Dentist's Chair
Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:26 pm

The C seats are tapered and slightly overlap so they are actually wider at their widest point, they are narrower at the head and feet. The aisles will also be slightly narrower. I think it will be an acceptable compromise for a flat bed and make F more of a step up.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by harryhv
Over on the LH board they are saying

Competition for the Dentist's Chair
And what would they call the LH seat? The Tilt-a-Whirl? That might be fun.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
They are slightly narrower at the butt part, I guess. But apparently when the armrests fold down, it'll be 23.5" wide which is certianly wider than the old C.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by qasr
They are slightly narrower at the butt part, I guess. But apparently when the armrests fold down, it'll be 23.5" wide which is certianly wider than the old C.
Sort of. The old C *seat* itself was 19" wide on the 763's and an inch or so wider on the 777's and 744's. That was actual usable seat width - not counting armrests (that did not collapse).

The new C seats are 19" wide with the armrests up - meaning that in a seated position, they will be narrower than the current 777 and 747 C seats (and p.s. C seats for that matter). They will be as wide as the current 767 C seats - folks who complain that the 767 C seats are width restrictive will find the new C seats to be just as restrictive when seated.

The main difference is that the armrests will collapse in the bed position - if those collapsable armrests will actually be confortable enough to lay part of your body on when sleeping, then yes - it will be extra useable seat width. If not, then 23.5" width is a bit misleading, as only 19" will actually be useable width.

The outboard armrest collapses on the current F suite, but the primary use for that is to enable you to get out of your seat with the tray table out - it's not intended to provide a wider sleeping surface, nor is it comfortable to lay on.

We'll see.

- T

Last edited by TonySCV; Jul 25, 2007 at 2:27 pm
Old Jul 25, 2007, 2:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I was wondering how long it would be before width got discussed.

I bet UA is following in the footsteps of BA, SQ, NZ etc and measuring width in the widest part of the seat.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Argh.....this is a concern to me. I prefer the old C comfy sofa chairs to LH new biz (or SQ or TG new biz) seats because the UA old C was wider. I just feel claustraphobic in LH, SQ or TG.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
By laws of geometry, there has to be narrowing when going from 7-abreast on 747s and 777s to 8-abreast.
I think the difference lies not in the size of the seat, but the reduction of the space between seats. The old C product has about 8-10" (maybe more) of armrest and tray space between the seats. The new C product eliminates that excess space... and as others have said, have even more room when the armrests are dropped. I believe that's where the extra inches are gained to allow 8-abreast seating.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 9:43 pm

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
Originally Posted by TonySCV
And what would they call the LH seat? The Tilt-a-Whirl? That might be fun.
Just for clarification: The Dentist's Chair is my terminus technicus for the LH seat (ever tried it, then you may know why). That said, Tilt-A-Whirl is still available...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.