Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:32 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, PC Plat, lots of miles but no status w/ usual *A, OW & ST suspects
starwood amex - worth using as primary card?

up to until last night, i was all set on using my united mileage plus cc as my primary card. i stay at *wood hotels for business, but given the 2:1 ratio for starpoints to miles transfer, i thought it'd be more worth it to use my united card for the 1:1 $ spent per mile earned.

then i looked at united's miles redemption requirements and decided maybe using them as my primary airline wasn't the best thing (i have a bunch of miles with other airlines too), so i decided to re-focus on the *wood amex, and take advantage of their 1:1 ratio for most other airlines.

is using the starwood amex as my primary card worth it? what do you use, in conjunction with your ff programs?
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:34 am
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Originally Posted by slawecki
I no longer stay at *wood hotels. I only spend a couple three thousand a month on this card any more.
I'm responding to this line from slawecki. I gotta laugh -- I wish I was able to spend "a couple three thousand a month" on my SPG AmEx card.

I guess I'm hobnobbing with the high rollers here...
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by gster78
up to until last night, i was all set on using my united mileage plus cc as my primary card. i stay at *wood hotels for business, but given the 2:1 ratio for starpoints to miles transfer, i thought it'd be more worth it to use my united card for the 1:1 $ spent per mile earned.

then i looked at united's miles redemption requirements and decided maybe using them as my primary airline wasn't the best thing (i have a bunch of miles with other airlines too), so i decided to re-focus on the *wood amex, and take advantage of their 1:1 ratio for most other airlines.

is using the starwood amex as my primary card worth it? what do you use, in conjunction with your ff programs?
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:44 am

I use the starwood amex as my primary. I tend to find I get better value from Starwood than United. It is getting harder and harder to use FF miles these days and the lack of blackout dates on Starwood is key. Mind you, the recent catagory changes have me reconsidering, I might abandon Starwood all together.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:19 am

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
I will still use my Starwood AMEX for staying at *wood hotels, but I am switching all other expenses to Discover and a cash-back MC. I wouldn't do a FF mileage card in place of AMEX (I get too many FF miles the old-fashioned way). The AMEX was okay value before this devaluation, but now it just seems to make no sense...
Old Feb 6, 2007, 12:04 pm

I am leaving Starwood AMEX for HHonors AMEX. No annual fees, plus more hotels worldwide.

Starwood was good before this devaluation, but now it no longer makes sense.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 12:38 pm

I used to be a Hilton fan, but I finally got sick of not being able to get free nights in the hotels I wanted. They might have more properties but have limited award rooms available unless you are diamond level.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PCheng
I am leaving Starwood AMEX for HHonors AMEX. No annual fees, plus more hotels worldwide.

Starwood was good before this devaluation, but now it no longer makes sense.
Hotel awards are often a bad value. But Starwood is the best FF card out there because of the transfer to airlines value (25,000 miles for 20,000 points).
Old Feb 6, 2007, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
My litmus test for Starwood vs Hilton has always been the two hotels across the street in New York City (the Sheraton NY Hotel & Towers vs. the Hilton NY). Before the devaluation the Sheraton was 10,000 pts for a free night vs 40,000 for the Hilton (which I understand was also devalued in the not so recent past). So at 3 Hilton points per $ spent, SPG was a better value before the valuation. Now that it's 12,000 - 16,000 it's less clear (I mostly pay for the week and use points on the weekend). I think I'll stick with SPG for now because of the no blackout dates
Old Feb 6, 2007, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by TimMeineke
My litmus test for Starwood vs Hilton has always been the two hotels across the street in New York City (the Sheraton NY Hotel & Towers vs. the Hilton NY). Before the devaluation the Sheraton was 10,000 pts for a free night vs 40,000 for the Hilton (which I understand was also devalued in the not so recent past). So at 3 Hilton points per $ spent, SPG was a better value before the valuation. Now that it's 12,000 - 16,000 it's less clear (I mostly pay for the week and use points on the weekend). I think I'll stick with SPG for now because of the no blackout dates
I agree but let's also keep in mind that the HH AMEX offers 5 points per $ spent at a number of locations too which can make Hilton even more attractive.

I just signed up for the HH AMEX card and will use it primarily at locations offering 5 pts. per $ like supermarkets, gas stations, restaurants, etc. I will continue to use my *W AMEX for other charges but overall the devaluation has cause me to look elsewhere when I would have been happy collecting *W points had there been no devalution.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 1:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
The new property categories make using Starpoints for stays at the vast majority of their nicer properties far less desirable than before.

For me, the primary benefit of accruing them at this point is the occasional stay at a very expensive property (Now, probably only in situations where rates are >$500/night), and the airline transfer option into programs that aren't my primary programs.

In my view, the 5K transfer bonus and 1:1 ratio still makes the SPG program desirable. If/when those goes away, the value plummets off the map.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by masonuc
Hotel awards are often a bad value.
Huh?
Old Feb 6, 2007, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
The new property categories make using Starpoints for stays at the vast majority of their nicer properties far less desirable than before.
Likewise for me. So I'll probably keep the SPG AMEX in the drawer and switch most of my spending over to my Hilton AMEX for now, until something better (like a straight cash reabte card) comes along.

In my view, the 5K transfer bonus and 1:1 ratio still makes the SPG program desirable. If/when those goes away, the value plummets off the map.
I've never found much value in the airline transfer option, because I always valued SPG points much higher than airline miles. Now with the devaluation, I'll probably be more willing to burn my few remaining SPG for airline miles, so perhaps there is some small silver lining.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 2:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cactuspete
. . . I've never found much value in the airline transfer option, because I always valued SPG points much higher than airline miles. . .
I agree. The exception for me is a situation where I don't otherwise have access to a FF ticket or upgrade with a particular airline. For example, I have transferred a large number of Starpoints over the years to BA, where I'm able to buy a World Traveler Plus (premium economy) ticket to somewhere in Europe and then use 25K BA miles (20K SPG points -- and even less when they've run their transfer bonuses) to upgrade to their flat bed Club World business class.

Given the superiority of BA's business class product, this is a slam dunk. A BA WT+ ticket is typically in the same price range as an upgradeable economy ticket on a US airline and you've in what is arguably the best business class cabin going. For a maximum of 20K Starpoints.

Another example I've considered is moving Starpoints to Emirates in order to redeem for a trip in one of their private F cabins. I don't have miles in any other program that would make that possible.

So, it's also a rare exception for me to transfer Starpoints to an airline, but there are some high-leverage exceptions.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I use the SPG AmEx as my nearly-exclusive card, and transfer everything to AA at the 1.25 to 1 ratio. I know some (most?) folks use Starpoints for hotel stays, but I am doing everything I can to get to lifetime Plat with AA. Another consideration is that I can pretty much afford to pay for any hotel I want to stay in -- the things in the travel world that would be totally out of reach, but for awards, are premium class international air tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.