Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Black Amex thingy...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, All on my own dime.
The Black Amex thingy...

Rumor has it also that by touching the hem of the cardholder's garment, the lame have walked and the blind have seen.

Way to go, guys!!! ^

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bud...me-Credit-Card
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
It's amazing what people with low self-esteem will pay for.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
It's amazing what people with low self-esteem will pay for.
Or small organ sizes...
Old Aug 1, 2007, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's very helpful for not having to wait in lines at clubs.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 11:51 am

Amazing how the more money you have the more clueless you get.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 11:53 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by Droneklax
Amazing how the more money you have the more clueless you get.
That's silly.

It's a value for money equation.

At $1000, getting Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Continental Gold, Delta Gold, Avis Presidents Club, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting, for someone who travels as often as I do, made total sense.

At $2500, it's more of a matter of not wanting to give up the aforementioned perks (now slightly modified) that I've now grown accustomed to.

Originally, the value for money was great (Who cares about the snob appeal? I find the various comments about the card annoying.) Now it's marginal, at best. We'll see.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 12:02 pm
Suspended

True Story

I was out for lunch with a friend just after this card was introduced. It was her turn to pay the bill, out comes the Black Amex Card. Decent, mid to upscale restaurant - they refused to accept the card. The waiter had never seen one before and thought it was fake.

Over comes the manager, he too had never seen one and despite our assurances it was real, he would not call AMEX to verify the card's legitimacy (after all his chart never showed a black card ). I had to pay for lunch on my cheapie free VISA.

We never went back there, despite it being close to our office and us going there 1 or 2 times a month... there stupidity cost them tons of future business.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by MapleLeaf
True Story

I was out for lunch with a friend just after this card was introduced. It was her turn to pay the bill, out comes the Black Amex Card. Decent, mid to upscale restaurant - they refused to accept the card. The waiter had never seen one before and thought it was fake.

Over comes the manager, he too had never seen one and despite our assurances it was real, he would not call AMEX to verify the card's legitimacy (after all his chart never showed a black card ). I had to pay for lunch on my cheapie free VISA.

We never went back there, despite it being close to our office and us going there 1 or 2 times a month... there stupidity cost them tons of future business.
I saw the same thing happen at Prada in Beverly Hills.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by Randeman
Rumor has it also that by touching the hem of the cardholder's garment, the lame have walked and the blind have seen.
And here, all along, I thought they were trying to pinch my butt!

Yes, I agree with stevenshev; the fee increases can't be justified.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 2:47 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by UNITED959
It's very helpful for not having to wait in lines at clubs.
Or check-in lines at airports.

(we may have missed our flight home from Maui last June (Delta changed the departure time w/o notifying us) had I not been upgraded by AMEX) and used the First Class/Medallion line at the ticket counter and avoided the hour long line.

And that "free" upgrade into a suite for one night (best one in the hotel actually) in St. Thomas USVI a couple of weeks ago was pretty nice, considering we paid for a cheap standard room (which looked pretty crappy when we walked by one with the door open).

So were the upgraded first-class airline seats (at coach prices) on the last several flights we've made.

The travel agent service would've been especially nice when we were stuck in Chicago Midway Airport for 30+ hours due to weather last February and needed a much coveted hotel room that we couldn't get (b/c the Platinum people were too overwhelmed and understaffed by the time our flight was canceled and we couldn't get an agent on the line to get us a room/ride out of the terminal).

Those chairs in B9 are damned uncomfortable to sleep on.

I've only had mine for 4 months (got in just before the new rate btw), but I like it already.

Yeah...it's expensive, but it's worth the price to me already.

Oh...and I've NEVER been declined with it. I've seen those stories before, but it hasn't happened to me yet.

I get alot of questions, and alot of cashiers saying...."wow...I need to get one of these", but noones ever declined it.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:24 am

Programs: NW Plat / SPG Gold / HH Gold / Amex Plat
upgrade procedure

Originally Posted by JimG
Or check-in lines at airports.

(we may have missed our flight home from Maui last June (Delta changed the departure time w/o notifying us) had I not been upgraded by AMEX) and used the First Class/Medallion line at the ticket counter and avoided the hour long line.

So were the upgraded first-class airline seats (at coach prices) on the last several flights we've made.
Quick question: Will Centurion upgrade you on specific flights outside of the typical protocol of the respective airline's elite program in which they have granted you membership?
Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:49 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Cheapest Black Amex card: http://dbs.com/sg/personal/cards/dbsblackcard/

Old Aug 2, 2007, 1:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Savage25
Nah, I carry the cheapest Black AmEx card! No annual fee!
Old Aug 2, 2007, 5:50 am

The Citi Amex Platinum is also black & free, if you really care that much.
https://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/c...o?screenID=927
Old Aug 2, 2007, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by wesley29
Quick question: Will Centurion upgrade you on specific flights outside of the typical protocol of the respective airline's elite program in which they have granted you membership?
I'd like to know the answer to this as well. Anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.