Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best Venice hotel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2007, 4:31 am
Original Poster

best Venice hotel

What are the top 3 Venice Hotels to stay in next May?
Old Aug 2, 2007, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
With respect, your post tells us b*gger all that can help us to help you, and also implies you haven't done a search on the other Venice threads in this forum before posting.

Is this your first time in Venice?
Would you prefer to be on the island or one of the off-island islands?
Are you travelling alone or with your partner?
Do you have children?
Do you want a historic hotel or something more modern?
Room or suite?
What is your budget? Venice is ludicrously expensive and unless you really have money to burn ($1k+ per night) you're going to get less than you think. And even at $1k+ per night you're still likely to be disappointed.

Whilst I haven't been, Bauer Il Palladio is brand new and could well be the best option purely for that reason. The best hotel in the St Marks area is generally believed to be the other Bauer property. The Cipriani also has its fans. The Starwood properties eg Gritti are generally seen as poor options - I certainly wouldn't recommend the Gritti after my one stay there.

Last edited by Raffles; Aug 2, 2007 at 4:46 am
Old Aug 2, 2007, 5:03 am
Original Poster

this is my 1st time in Venice..traveling with my husband. Seasoned traveler and like modern luxury hotels. Looking at Starwwod options possibly with points. Want to stay in Venice, not in the outskirts.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
If you've got the points, use them - its probably the best 'bang for your buck' you'll find given normal Venice hotel rates. If you do a search on the Starwood board you'll find numerous discussions of the Gritti v Danieli v Excelsior (on the lido, which may count that out for you).

Both the Gritti and Danieli are historic properties with some truly amazing architectural and design details, but that does not necessarily mean they are good hotels. My Gritti room (also on points a few years ago) was about the size of the average bathroom with a view of a wall. However, if you've got the points it would be a shame to pay $1k+ for a room elsewhere which will be better but not SO much better, unless its for a really special occasion such as a honeymoon.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 6:30 am

You should also consider the Bauer Il Palazzo
Old Aug 2, 2007, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
There is also an extensive discussion of the pros/cons of the Starwood properties in Venice on the Italy discussion board.

Given your interests and the Starwood issue I would suggest the Danieli. Since you want to be in Venice proper - then the Excelsior on the Lido is a not an option. However, one of the joys of Venice is precisely that it is not modern (w/the possible exception of the new Hilton) - so be prepared for smaller rooms - esp. if you use points as the hotels will reserve lesser quality rooms for points and better rooms for customers paying cash.

To answer your question, Venetians consider the best hotels to be:

#1 - The Cipriani
#2 - The Gritti
#3 - The Danieli

Two new hotels: Bauer il Palladio and the Hilton are both getting very favorable press here.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 6:57 am
Original Poster

what about the Westin Europa and Regina?
Old Aug 2, 2007, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by skymutt
Excellent location, esp. if you can get a room with a Grand Canal view. It doesn't have the reputation of the Danieli and others, but its certainly very good.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 4:39 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

E&R is fine. People seem to really like this hotel, especially if with a view of the Grand Canal.
I personally do not care for the Danieli. The biggest annoyance is entering and existing the hotel and having to navigate through throngs of tourists. It's quite a mob scene outside of the front door.
Other hotels worh considering are:
Palazzo Sant Angelo. It's in a wonderful location, the rooms are lovely but few rooms face the Grand Canal. Nice water landing in front.
Luna Bagnioli is revered by many.
The Gritti is great if you are in the original building and have a Canal view. Otherwise, you could be paying a boatload of money for a rabbit warren in the annex.
Bauer Palazzo is an excellent choice for a 5 star hotel.
A La Commedia http://alacommedia.hotelinvenice.com/ is a lovely 4 star hotel conveniently located near the Rialto Bridge. I toured this hotel last fall. At that time it had only been open a few months. I thought the rooms, bar, breakfast room facilities were outstanding & really really lovely. As it is a new hotel it offers very modern conveniences. If you don't mind not having a Grand Canal view, I would recommend that you consider this little gem of a hotel.
I do not
recommend the Hilton. It is on Guidecca; a terrible location in an industrial area.

Last edited by obscure2k; Aug 2, 2007 at 5:09 pm Reason: Edited to add more info
Old Aug 2, 2007, 8:48 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
Originally Posted by laf747

I will second this property I consider it to be the very best in Venice
Old Aug 2, 2007, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
There is really one one place to stay the Cip....It's unto itself.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 10:05 pm

I stayed there on an award a few years ago as a gold and was upgraded to a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, suite overlooking the canal. Not bad as the hotel was a cat 4 at the time.

This hotel is still a decent value as a cat 5, especially since the Hotel Des Bains is also a cat 5 (on Lido). To me, 12k/night at the E & R vs. 30k/night at the Gritti is an easy choice (E & R).

I have recommended to friends that they stay at the E & R and so far everyone has been happy with it.

Ah, one last thing. I have never used these, but I hear the upgrade/suite awards are a good value at some hotels. If you want to be assured of a nicer view or a bigger room, those might be a good option. I believe for 2x the points you can get a suite at the E & R (24k/night).
Old Aug 3, 2007, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by laf747
We had a terrific stay at the Bauer Il Palazzo. I would not hesitate if I had the opportunity to come back: perfect location, nice room, good service. We let a review on Tripadvisor with some pictures: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ce_Veneto.html
Old Aug 3, 2007, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it seems the better question for VCE is what is the best room type.. (at ___ hotel )

some of the most expensive hotels seem to get fairly mixed reviews, but room type / view / etc seems to be the more important thing.

with starwood points, id recommend seeing what the highest room type you could reserve would be.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 3, 2007 at 6:45 am
Old Aug 3, 2007, 9:55 am

Programs: SPG Gold
We stayed at Westin Europa and Regina last year on points. As a Plat SPG we were upgraded to a suite overlooking the Grand Canal.
Turns out it was the room that they filmed The Talented Mr. Ripley in.
Great room, great hotel, great location.
Would definitely stay at the E&R if we go back to Venice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.