Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Barra, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]

Sheraton Barra, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]

Old Oct 3, 2003, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Arrow Sheraton Barra, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]

Well I noticed no reports on this hotel and I recently stayed there so I will give a little input. I got a rate of about $145 which was about the same as the Sheraton Leblon. Hotel is right across the street from the Pepe beach scene. My fave in RIO. Hotel looks very new as most surrounding apartments look old. Checked in and was given an executive suite looks like one level below the best suite in the house. There are two towers one residential one hotel. The room had an ocean view as I guess most do. Room was well sized. Small wetbar/kitchen like area. Then a bedroom with bathroom on the left. And a large living area with a desk sofa bed two chairs. A nice balcony with two chairs and a table. Got a fruit basket on arrival. The pool is nice and heated along with a big jacuzzi. As for the health club and locker room with whirlpool steam sauna you have to pay extra except Plats. Well some staff did not know what Platinum was and charged me which I took care of later. I have to say I like the hotel. It has a Miami feel to it. It did not feel as personal as the sheraton though. Then again I have stayed thirty+ nights there this year and slept with one of the employees. I like the Barra sheraton for the location. Yet I like the Sheraton Leblon more as a hotel although majorly overpriced. In the future when I am not using apartments I would probably split my time. sheraton Leblon when hanging in Ipanema and Copacabana, and Barra when in the Barra area. If you stay there ask about the free ride to Barra Brasa, by far one of my favorite BBQs in Rio
Old Oct 24, 2003, 1:05 pm

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ryan754:
Well I noticed no reports on this hotel and I recently stayed there so I will give a little input. I got a rate of about $145 which was about the same as the Sheraton Leblon. Hotel is right across the street from the Pepe beach scene. My fave in RIO. Hotel looks very new as most surrounding apartments look old. Checked in and was given an executive suite looks like one level below the best suite in the house. There are two towers one residential one hotel. The room had an ocean view as I guess most do. Room was well sized. Small wetbar/kitchen like area. Then a bedroom with bathroom on the left. And a large living area with a desk sofa bed two chairs. A nice balcony with two chairs and a table. Got a fruit basket on arrival. The pool is nice and heated along with a big jacuzzi. As for the health club and locker room with whirlpool steam sauna you have to pay extra except Plats. Well some staff did not know what Platinum was and charged me which I took care of later. I have to say I like the hotel. It has a Miami feel to it. It did not feel as personal as the sheraton though. Then again I have stayed thirty+ nights there this year and slept with one of the employees. I like the Barra sheraton for the location. Yet I like the Sheraton Leblon more as a hotel although majorly overpriced. In the future when I am not using apartments I would probably split my time. sheraton Leblon when hanging in Ipanema and Copacabana, and Barra when in the Barra area. If you stay there ask about the free ride to Barra Brasa, by far one of my favorite BBQs in Rio</font>
I just completed a one night stay at the Sheraton Barra Hotel & Suites.

As Platinum I was up-graded at check-in (easy and fast) to a so-called "Executive Suite" on the SPG Floor (room 906). My impression of the room (very clean) and hotel in general coincides with ryan754's. This property was obvuously not build exactly to Sheraton specifications, but seems to have been initially intended for a flat/residence service. The bathroom (wall hair dryer and nice Sheraton bath amenities) had shower only and is not big, but seems more functional and slightly bigger that the Leblon/Niemeier property. The shower was nice and big. One TV in the bedroom and one in the living room. Free high speed internet worked fine (bring your own cable). Nice work desk that doubles as dining table. Bedroom equipped with the new sweet sleeper bed. Phone on work desk and in bedroom. Small electronic safe (not big enough for my Dell laptop though)in the drawer. Nice beach view.

Front desk did not offer platinum amenity at check-in and at check-out the clerk did not know anything about this, but just remarked that the hotel was still in its opening phase (sic!). Nice fruit basket was offered in the room upon arrival though.

Some noise audible in the room from the beach boulevard both during day and night.

Restaurant (with beach boulevard views) is smalish but nice and is adjacent to the Bar. When the hotel is full, these areas get quite crowded. Many good restaurants and shopping malls are just a short cab drive away.

Valet parking worked very well.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 1:13 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
Sheraton Towers and Sheraton Barra

We stayed at both these properties recently. I am Gold. Agree with the comments on the Sheraton Rio, although we did enjoy the stay. Appreciated the high ocean-view room, with the "small" patio. No lounge access for us, but did like the room upgrade.

The Barra location was a pleasant surprise. It is in the "condominium" area of Rio, in fact 1/2 of the Sheraton is for residence, other half the hotel, with a common pool/bar area.
Received a nice upper-floor room. All rooms are nice mini-suites. All rooms listed as "ocean view." Hotel is a slanted rectangular shape, with the long axis headed away from the beach. Since the building seems to "flare out" somewhat, I can see their claim that all rooms are ocean-view (but I doubt that for the 3 or 4 lower floors). We had a room toward the front.
Beach in that area is great, and we felt quite safe. Hotel does maintain an umbrella/towel presence there. Liked walking along the beach, and stopping to drink cocanut milk.
Several nice restaurants in the vicinity. All of these seem to have a shuttle; the concierge will call them, and they were timely. Same for return trip.
Our big benefit; as Gold, got late checkout (4 PM), great for our early-evening flight. Otherwise, the posted sign indicated such a cost was $60- $120 U.S., depending on type of room.
Two bad things about the Barra. 1) It is some distance from the Lebron-Copacabana area, with all the nice features that area has to offer(but we have stayed there several times, so did like this new location). First-timers, definitely stay near the "traditional" area. 2) This hotel was the ONLY place in all of Brazil that we encountered no service charge on any bill! That means back to the U.S. type of tipping.
All in all, we did love the Barra, and expect to stay there again. And felt nicely treated as a lowly-Gold!
Old Aug 5, 2007, 5:14 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, BA
Arrow Rio de Janeiro - Sheraton Barra [Master Thread]

I have found an attractive rate for a five night stay in the Sheraton Barra Hotel Rio de Janeiro in Dec but I have a few questions on it (even after reading a number of older threads on here)

1. What is the hotel itself like, is it worthy of it's #1 status on Tripadvisor?
2. Are the restaurants/bars expensive?
3. I'm keen on seeing Rio itself, though would prefer not to use taxis where possible, is there a reliable bus service near the hotel to Ipanema/Cocabanana?
4. Approx what is the cost of a taxi from the Sheraton Barra to Cocabanana?
5. Would I be better off in the Intercontinental Rio as I can obtain at a similar rate (although for a lesser room)?
Old Aug 5, 2007, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by heggers03
I have found an attractive rate for a five night stay in the Sheraton Barra Hotel Rio de Janeiro in Dec but I have a few questions on it (even after reading a number of older threads on here)

1. What is the hotel itself like, is it worthy of it's #1 status on Tripadvisor?

I would give it a 4* rating, certainly not 5

Not any more expensive than other hotels in same class. The quality of the food is so-so. Breakfast is good. Pool bar serves good lunch options

3. I'm keen on seeing Rio itself, though would prefer not to use taxis where possible, is there a reliable bus service near the hotel to Ipanema/Cocabanana?

There ar busses, but I would not suggest that they be used by tourists

Yellow taxies R$ 30-40

5. Would I be better off in the Intercontinental Rio as I can obtain at a similar rate (although for a lesser room)?
Intercontinental is in Sao Conrado, a little closer to Copacabana, but it's really a toss-up. I find Barra much nices than Sao Conrado
Old Aug 5, 2007, 8:27 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, LH Senator, UA Premier Executive, RG Diamante

1. Very nice and new hotel
2. Yes, the the food is not that good ...
3. If you want to sightsee Rio, stay more closer to the attractions. Barra is a wonderful place and nice beach (some people compare to Miami), but a bit far from where you'd like to visit. As a tourist, forget public buses in Rio. Take the (unexpensive) yellow cabs.
4. R$30 (aprox US$15)
5. Yes, but not too much (time) advantange.

Unfortunately, the Sheraton Rio is not in a good shape. It is 5 min from Leblon and 10/15 min from Copacabana with an excellent view.

In Leblon (just beside Ipanema), try the Marina(s). There are two just in front of the beach and, depending on the date, you get lucky with the rate. In Ipanema, besides the Caesar Park (5* and very expensive), your (excellent) options are some Flats or Residences along the "Rua Prudente de Moraes". Try to google that and you will find some options just 1 block from the beach and walking distance from may interesting places.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 10:53 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
I stayed at both Sheraton Rio and Sheraton Barra last June. Some work was going on at the Rio but I had a decent corner room, upper floor, with great views of the sea and beaches with a balcony wrapped around the corner. They have a shuttle that runs to a shopping mall that makes stops along the beaches. Took a taxi to the Barra, about 30 real, but the taxi drivers don't seem to want to use the meter and the price list posted in the back seat wasn't being adhered to, at least with their opening offer.

The Barra is newer and in better condition, but this is quite a ways away from Rio. Also, on the way to the Barra, noticed that the policia sent up checkpoints to seach vehicles heading in the Rio direction. Taxi driver mentioned that there is frequently a delay. Not much out in Barra except a very good beach. I had a nice suite, lower floor, with a balcony with a sea view. Restaurants are as expected, nothing worthwhile. Small pool and fitness center. In "town" a Hard Rock Cafe and a good steak house a few blocks (long walk) away in the commercial zone. The only problem I had was the airport shuttle I had the conceirge arrange for the return to the airport. Probably too cheap to expect them to run on time, plus, this is Rio. Waited 1.5 hours from the scheduled time to get picked up. Had I known, I would have just gotten a taxi and paid the extra cost. Though, it all worked out, as I didn't have to spend too much time in the substandard Admirals Club at GIG.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:31 am

rbAA: airport shuttle I had the conceirge arrange for the return to the airport

How long is the ride to the international airport?

I'm staying at the Barra mid-November for a conference at the nearby Windsor. It seems very far out. So, on arrival, I have rented a more central apartment for four nights, then am flying to Iguazu Falls (award points), and finally back to the Barra (award points).

Sylvia
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by SylviaCaras
rbAA: airport shuttle I had the conceirge arrange for the return to the airport

How long is the ride to the international airport?
Depending on traffic (7-10am and 4-7pm are rush hour) you will be more than fine with 45 min in a taxi. It is actually often faster to get from Barra to GIG than from Copacabana or Ipanema.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 8:31 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Barra is a good hotel, and I had a nice room when I was Gold there.

Location is definitely a minus. I thought the taxis (like everything in Rio) were expensive. I would think twice about Barra next time around, and consider something closer to Copacabana/Ipanema.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Premier, AA, DL, HA, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver
Don't say ABRIGADO to the Sheraton Barra!

I am a BIG fan of Starwood. In fact, I pretty much go out of my way to book Starwood properties. I've even planned a vacation around visiting a specific *wood property.

That being said, I must say, you do not want to stay at this property. It is just terrible! Here are the answers to your questions:

It's probably a #1 because there are no other properties in Barra. Ok, there are a few, but this #1 is only being compared to Barra properties because is not in Rio.

I find hotel restaurants/bars to be expensive in general. The Barra is no different than other properties in Barra or Rio for that matter.

Barra is far. I cannot stress that enough. I spent one night here (and granted the room was nice but, I really don't like rooms with kitchens). You will def need to take taxis. Rio is not really safe and I didn't find the bus service near the property reliable at all. The Sheration Rio is no better choice by the way. I ended up staying at the JW Marriott on Copacabana.

If I remember correctly, it was about 40 Reals, so about $20!

I would not stay here. Honestly, the distance, the service, and the not so nice Barra area is not worth it. The rooms do have a balcony which is nice, but not worth the trouble. Spend the extra cash you'd pay on taxis on a closer property.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 1:14 pm

Have stayed at both hotels the last week and like both. Transport is not that much of an issue if you are not travelling peak.

Metro Rio has a bus that stops just across the road from the Sheraton Barra runs from 6am till midnight every 20 mins or so and takes you to Siquera Campos Metro station in the middle of Copocabana for 3 reias (about US$1.60) in about 20-30mins. You can also hop off at the southern end of Leblon.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 4:31 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, BA
Thank you all for the advice regarding my original questions, in the end I booked the Sheraton Barra for three nights and will move to Hotel Mar Ipanema for the final two nights.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 7:19 pm

Programs: spg-plat, aa-1mm and exp,hh-Diamond,hyatt-gld
Sheraton Barra

Thank you all for the advice regarding my original questions, in the end I booked the Sheraton Barra for three nights and will move to Hotel Mar Ipanema for the final two nights.
As you exit airport security- on your right- place to get brazil- $, but if you pass this inside the terminal are "street-brokers" sometimes offering better exhange rate -sometimes not- check both- you will need some local currency to pay the cab. There are also car services- slighlty more expensive, but a lot more secure- you know who to call if there is a problem. If you use this service buy a round trip its saves you money. But you do have to set up your return to the airport. It does work. If you're staying at the barra consider finding a driver for your stay- several names have been offered here in this thread.
If you take a cab from the airport- be very very explicit that you are going to the S. Barra, the taxi cab will try to take you to Sheraton Rio and keep meter running for additional $. I have been over 12 x in the last 12 months, so make sure you say Sheraton BARRA!!! Make sure he ( very very few female drivers) understands. I found the hotel great, but it is way way way way away from Rio. I am also very surprised that the Sheraton Rio is more expensive than the Barra. It is my experience that the Barra is more expensive than the Sheraton Rio. The issue of the food is irrelevant in that it's the only game out there. You eat in the hotel or you don't eat. There are no stores, restaurants in competition. Yes the food at the Barra is expensive but as i said you eat there or you don't eat. There are no food establishments w/i walking distance. About 1/4 mile down -(out front door of hotel and turn left) a store selling deli like goods etc. but thats it. Also need to know on workdays between approx 8:00 A.M. and 10:00 A.M. it takes a very long time to get into Rio form Barra or Sheraton Rio traffic is bumper to bumper.

Very important- when taking a "taxi" that they start the meter- if they say no- GET out! make them start the meter at the hotel before you start. this is true any time you get in a cab- if at any time they are not willing to start the meter, you must be willing to exit or you will pay for the ride far more than you should have.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by lestismore
You eat in the hotel or you don't eat. There are no stores, restaurants in competition. Yes the food at the Barra is expensive but as i said you eat there or you don't eat. There are no food establishments w/i walking distance. About 1/4 mile down -(out front door of hotel and turn left) a store selling deli like goods etc. but thats it.
Simply not correct. There are tons of good restaurants in Barra, two or three actually within a five minutes walk (to the left going out of the hotel) from the hotel. Many others a short taxi drive away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.