Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are You Able to Open the Emergency Door?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Can You? How many times you done it? How can one state they can open the door, if they have never done it before?

Was asked on an AA flight. Told her I didn't know, but if those wimps around me thought they could, then I thought I could also. Not an acceptable answer. would have been moved if I had not said "yes, I can open that door!"

About 15 years ago, there was a crash of the train from WAS to NYP. the people inside the train were not strong enough to open the emergency windows. the rescue team had to break the windows from the outside.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My neighbor was a captain and often asked if I wanted to help in certifying a new aircraft. I did about 6-8 times. Opened the doors and deployed the slides about 4 times. It can get bruising and it all happens in a hanger. All in all an interesting experience.

MisterNice
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:03 pm

Can and have...

....twice. Like poster above, it was in a hangar, and it was loads of fun and not particularly difficult: pull a handle and push the door and watch the fireworks (well, the slides deploy).

Sliding down the slides was more fun than opening the door
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:15 pm

Think if need arose, adrenaline would provide needed strength. Never had to do it, but always answer yes.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I've seen one open before (they took it off from the inside in a fully loaded plane to check for hail damage on the wing after we'd sat on the runway through a storm) and it didn't look particularly difficult. I think I could do it if I had to. I usually sit in the emergency exit and each time, I look carefully at the door and make sure that I understand how it appears to work (since some of them are different). I feel like I would take the responsibility more seriously than some people so I feel okay sitting there.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 5:15 pm

As an ex-flight personnel (stewardess/FA) trained on several aircraft, I have since often asked to be seated next to the Emergency exit ~ both for my comfort and that my training might help, if the order goes out. My request, has oftentimes been met with amused looks. In the last 10 years+ I've been told that those seats have already been allocated ~ as if by merely being tall is a good & helpful thing, in an emergency . LOL!

With the exception of overwing (it's diffficult to tell how well maintained they are ~ and I do study individual Aircraft cards, very carefully, regardless of where I'm sitting), most exits are straight forward. Personally though, I also include overwing as alternative escapes. Indeed we were trained that they are secondary, but with the traffic on ground in this day, barring fire, I would use that route as well.

I would/should be able to open most exits in good time. So should any able-bodied person. However, some of the people in those seats, I see more as a hindrance than a help.

Eta: obviously with the exception of VelvetKennedy and like-minded responsible flyers. Some others give me the willies that they are the nearest, to main escapes, and may loose precious time, for want of dedication to the task.

Last edited by Soames; Aug 5, 2007 at 5:23 pm Reason: clarification
Old Aug 5, 2007, 7:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (My IV to the Net: BlackBerry7250/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Hrmmm, benchpress 300 lbs, pull a door open.

I dunno.

Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:39 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
The ones where you just turn a handle and open the hinged door would seem to be openable by most people.

The ones where you have to detach the door and then throw it out the door opening while standing in the confines of an airline seat row (even an exit row) with anxious other passengers packed around you may be difficult for weaker or clumsier people. But I've never seen a demo area where people can try it out.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I opened the emergency door on the school bus when I was in the 4th grade...does that count?
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by UNITED959
I opened the emergency door on the school bus when I was in the 4th grade...does that count?
I was just about to say the same thing! But I did this in middle school.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.