Aussie Lingo Sparks Security Scare

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2007, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Aussie Lingo Sparks Security Scare

http://www.theage.com.au/news/travel...s_cid=rss_news

Strewth. Crikey. Bloody hell. An Australian woman has reportedly sparked a security scare aboard a US flight after her use of a common Australian phrase was apparently misinterpreted as an act of aggression.

Sophie Reynolds, 41, from Queanbeyan, was flying aboard SkyWest Airlines from Atlanta to Pittsburgh this week when she asked a flight attendant if she could have a pack of pretzels instead of crackers.

"[The flight attendant] said they didn't have any [pretzels], and I said, 'Fair dinkum,' out of frustration," Reynolds was quoted as saying in the The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Before she knew it a second flight attendant asked her for her passport and copied down her name.

Then, when the flight landed, three uniformed officers greeted her.

"They said, 'You swore at the hostess and there are federal rules against that,"' Reynolds said. "And I said, 'I did not swear at the hostess, I just said 'fair dinkum."'
Flight Attendants can demand passports now?
Old Aug 10, 2007, 6:09 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Got to love the way the FAs fall back on "agressive behaviour" as an excuse. That's a great line to cover themselves.

Just because our guests from overseas do not behave the same way as people in this country do (TG) our guests are picked on yet again. Shame on the FAs.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler

I found that rather odd as well. I'm guessing soon they'll want badges. Or maybe they're just happy with their current quasi-arrest powers? Insult a flight attendant..........go to jail!

"Thats cute, sweetheart........now go get me another Coke. Thanks!"
Old Aug 10, 2007, 6:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Flight attendants on a power-trip? Never.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 9:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak

They can do whatever they want, because if you refuse you will be considered to be "interfering with a flight crew" or something like that. I mean, in this case, the passenger could have denied having a passport, since it's not a document that's needed on a domestic flight. But I'm sure the FA would have simply asked for a drivers license instead.

Nice to see in this case the passenger was not charged and was allowed to go on her way, but sheesh.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They said, 'You swore at the hostess and there are federal rules against that,"' Reynolds said.
Since when is swearing against the law? Unbelievable!
Old Aug 10, 2007, 9:59 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
I mean, in this case, the passenger could have denied having a passport, since it's not a document that's needed on a domestic flight. But I'm sure the FA would have simply asked for a drivers license instead.
ID is not required for Travel in most states. They make you think it is.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:31 am

This is a nice demonstration of insanity.

Perhaps they should have a list of restricted words printed on the emergency card and shown on the safety video. In multiple languages of course.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:45 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Crikey - that is really 'out there'

Ok I am an Aussie I dont generally walk around saying "crikey, fair dinkum and streth"! Regardless, at no time, ever in our country have these sayings been interpreted as swearing! Does the FA not watch TV, did she/he not see the Steve Irwin specials, these words are used constantly by Aussie icon, Steve (now gone).

Maybe that FA needs a trip downunder to understand the lingo.......
Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:56 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
Maybe that FA needs a trip downunder to understand the lingo.......
That FA would need a translator.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:13 am

The articule was quoted as saying "We witnessed agressive behavior." But they did not clarify if it was the passenger or the flight attendant that was acting in this way.

I am trying to digest the significance of this event. Reflecting back on another similar event of a few weeks ago, I mean it is not as if she repeatedly said "bye bye plane", which is by any DHS standard, clearly a threat to the well being of the valuable equipment, crew and passengers.

And why was the mother of the child asked to leave the plane as well, and not just the child? I don't recall reading anything attributing "agressive behavior" to the mother. Although she did reject the suggestion to use behavior modfying drugs on the child. But then when is it a potential crime to reject such an instruction?

So what is the solution to such misunderstandings? Some thoughts to this end;

1) Require all passengers to have a high school diploma with a knowledge of and working familairty American English. Fortunately our president uses non-commercial aircraft and doesn't have to pass this litmus test.

2) Any use of slang, idioms, colloquialisms, or local dialects will constitute a breach of these requirements and immediate ejection from the aircraft (of course below pressurized altitude)

3) With restrictions on carry ons, liquids, gels, solids, electronics, shoes, lighters, use of some toilets, and apparently some forms of conversation which are percieved by the well trained linquists to be "aggressive behavior", why not just make it illegal for passengers to have any form of intercourse while on board an aircraft.

For emergency purposes, each seat back can contain several cue cards which can be displayed to communicate with the flight crew under emergency circumstances. Of course what constitutes an "emergency" circumstance would have to be pre-determined.

Just some thoughts!
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:19 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by cpx
ID is not required for Travel in most states. They make you think it is.
Um, right, but that wouldn't have stopped the FA from asking for it, would it? And since the vast majority of people DO carry photo ID, whether required to or not, withholding it would be construed as interfering with a flight crew. A bogus claim in this case, perhaps. But entirely conceivable.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
I wonder what would happen if the FA asked what I wanted to drink and I answered: Oh yeah luv. Me throat`s as dry as dead dingos`s dongo so pop over a can of coke. And after that I guess I`ll be shaking hands with the unemployed.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:52 am

So should I have complained about the FA who uttered the word "cluster***k" and the phrase "same s**t, different day" in front of me last night? (I sympathized with him, last night's flight was a cluster***k.)
Old Aug 10, 2007, 1:06 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Bloody hell

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.