Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

What Would YOU Like? I'm building a private island getaway...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2007, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Location: Somewhere on a plane...I prefer Global Express XRS, but F-class works
Programs: Coutts World, AMEX

I'll keep my request as simple as possible:

I don't know about you, but I'm tired of high hopes, and disappointing service.

I recently began discussing the prospect of purchasing an island. I've found one that is VERY interesting, and plan on developing said island as an unique ULTRA-luxurious getaway. It's approximately 1000acres, in a warm water climate, gorgeous beaches, ect.

Because of it's size I have the option of doing many things with it and I would like your suggestions.

So tell me:

What is you idea of the PERFECT property?

Service? Should each guest have their own staff?

Architecture? What does your dream island retreat look like?

Activities available? What will you be able to do while ON the property?

It's extremely difficult to create the perfect experience for everyone, but I believe the way to the promised-land is to completely remove the financial targets from the picture. No board meetings about growth, no major marketing campaigns, NO budget should come into mind when providing the best service available in the world...Take the cost out of the scenario and just create a place that would make the pious skip heaven for a week in residence.

Don't be afraid to be GRAND...Tell me what your DREAMS are!

Thanks
Old Aug 14, 2007, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aman/Setai/GHM + island + villa + pool

if not an actual Aman, copy the service and "steal" employees

- fully temperature controlled pools
- "affordable" private chefs
- villas with club benefits (http://www.ghmhotels.com/hotels/hote...&section=rates)
would all be pretty cool concepts

http://www.amanresorts.com/page.aspx?id=2660
West Villa and South-East Villas
(layout, space, privacy)

http://aleenta.com/phuket/images/villa03.jpg
http://aleenta.com/phuket/images/villa05.jpg
http://aleenta.com/villas/popup_floorplan_wind.html
Beachfront Villa Wind
(pool design, folding windows - motorize them though)

http://www.huvafenfushi.com/slumber_beachPa.html
http://www.huvafenfushi.com/imglib/HF_18.jpg
Beach Pavilion
(pool design)

http://www.phuketpavilions.com/image...1bedlayout.gif
(pool design)

http://www.taunovobay.com/content/im...Floor-Plan.pdf
(pool design)

http://www.concierge.com/images/cnt/...v_jan_06_p.jpg
Beachfront villa with pool @ One & Only Reethi Rah
(pool location)

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.lu...10/capcana.jpg
<beachfront pool villa> @ RC Cap Cana
(pool location)

http://www.shalimarvilla.com/img/1.jpg
Villa Kalima
(pool features)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 13, 2008 at 9:19 pm
Old Aug 14, 2007, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

I just KNEW you would provide an excellent post!

Thanks for taking the time to let me know...

That is one GORGEOUS pool at the Beach Pavilion!

I'll see what I can do about those Aman employees

Live well!
Old Aug 14, 2007, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

think benefits and housing, not just salary
Old Aug 14, 2007, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

You're right.

I believe in building life-long relationships. Not just with those who spend money for the experience, but for those who create the atmosphere that allows the experience to exist.

Nothing less than first class benefits and housing for first class employees
Old Aug 14, 2007, 9:42 pm

Private chefs would be a must. Fully customizable menu for every meal.

Animals at breakfast greeting you (e.g. FS GT).

The most ridiculous and relaxing spa ever. Also an indoor tranquility pool, ala FS HK.

Michelin 3* chefs even for breakfast, ala George V.

Personal butler, ala Singita Boulders. Everyone at the resort should know my name and greet me sincerely.

And like at the FS Maronouchi, they should run after me with bottles of water and scented moist towels. They should know what I want when I want it; and when I want to be left alone. They should never say "No."

It would be nice to have someone on call to take professional pictures of me and my family. Then send them to me when I leave in a nice book.

No more then 15 rooms, if that many, on the island. The water sure as hell be crystal Maldivian clear! And I want dolphins. Dolphins swimming around my hotel room.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

15 villas on 1000 acre island??

North Island has 11 villas on 462 acres.

Amanpulo is 220 acres.

Norman's Cay in the Bahamas is about 400 acres, and supposed to have both Aman and Setai resorts / villas.

Wakaya (~2000 acres) might be another comparison, with the resort area kind of like Amanpulo in terms of space, but then with additional space on the island for more private residences on large plots, the private airstrip, etc.

Dolphins swimming around my hotel room.
sounds like youll be looking forward to those underwater resorts

also some interesting designs - Amans and others - found by an FTer >
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=332
http://www.fourniret.com/Projets/Denniston/albindex.htm

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 14, 2007 at 10:33 pm
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhd87
Private chefs would be a must. Fully customizable menu for every meal.

Animals at breakfast greeting you (e.g. FS GT).

The most ridiculous and relaxing spa ever. Also an indoor tranquility pool, ala FS HK.

Michelin 3* chefs even for breakfast, ala George V.

Personal butler, ala Singita Boulders. Everyone at the resort should know my name and greet me sincerely.

And like at the FS Maronouchi, they should run after me with bottles of water and scented moist towels. They should know what I want when I want it; and when I want to be left alone. They should never say "No."

It would be nice to have someone on call to take professional pictures of me and my family. Then send them to me when I leave in a nice book.

No more then 15 rooms, if that many, on the island. The water sure as hell be crystal Maldivian clear! And I want dolphins. Dolphins swimming around my hotel room.
I like the way you THINK!

"No" wouldn't exist on the island.

The photographer is a VERY nice touch and I don't believe I would have thought of that. Now that you've mentioned it...it's a MUST! :-:

At 15 rooms it would certainly be an intensely private experience, but it would also drastically increase the cost of the experience for the client.

I keep thinking: Perhaps there should be 15-20 private homes around the island. Each with their own staff...with maybe a few *key* employees floating from one property to another...

BTW- There are LOTS of Dolphins

GREAT ideas. Thanks so much!
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
15 villas on 1000 acre island??

North Island has 11 villas on 462 acres.

Amanpulo is 220 acres.

Norman's Cay in the Bahamas is about 400 acres, and supposed to have both Aman and Setai resorts / villas.

Wakaya (~2000 acres) might be another comparison...
Well this is supposed to be a PERFECT resort!

And anyway, North Island is more like moderate not luxury.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
sounds like youll be looking forward to those underwater resorts
I was spoiled at the FS LG:

We took the jet skis off the beach for 30 minutes. 2 minutes into the thing, were surrounded by no less then 100 wild spinner dolphins. By far one the coolest things I ever saw. ^ ^

Those underwater hotels do look mighty cool though.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i guess i see a difference between perfect that costs $10K minimum, and a "perfect" combination like Amanpulo or Wakaya or Norman's Cay.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:19 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

At the risk of seeming a bit intrusive, maybe you (the OP) could comment a bit on your background, experience, and plans so we'd have a better feel for what you have in mind? Also maybe describe roughly weather, locale, and access for the place so suggestions would be appropriate. We don't need to know specifics if you want to keep the actual location quiet -- but enough information to provide what meaningful guidance we can in a way that's most useful to you. Thanks and welcome to FT and the luxury hotel forum!
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:14 am

If we're going by dreams...
  • Architecture that feels natural to the island
    • Modern technology inside is great, modern architecture outside not so much
    • Built and operated to be as eco-friendly as possible

• Offer variety of activites
    • Snorkeling, fishing, etc
    • Cute animals and dolphins are always good
    • A unique dining experience - maybe an over-the-water, one-table-only restaurant in a deserted part of the island where guests can watch the sunset

• Isolation
    • Have a few villas (doesn't have to be all) that give the sense of being the only people there
    • Excellent staff that you never see unless you want to
    • Private infinity pools

• The photographer idea is brilliant
    • Also have a salon because many women won't want to keep that photo book unless their hair looks good in the pictures.
    • Any chance the guests could look at the proofs before printing or would the book be a surprise?
    • Have the photographer wander because those natural, genuine moments always mean the most. Perhaps give guests the choice of opting out of those unposed pictures? Or have designated photo and/or non-photo areas?

• Have a small, nice private pool/beach area reserved for staff
    • They'll want a vacation from guests too

• Begin the "jplux island" experience as soon as possible
    • Perhaps send a simple gift upon confirming the reservation
    • From the moment guests arrive at the last major airport, someone else handles everything - transport, finding luggage, etc.
    • Any chance of a fast pass through immigration?

And if I can add a fantasy to this post on dreams... a special one time only discount so that i could actually visit
Old Aug 15, 2007, 8:09 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Find a way to contract with FS or RC for management/service.

It's not easy to recruit for, train and execute a 5* service experience.

The reason I dont lease expansive, super private villas on Bali or anywhere else is that the service is never quite good enough.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
At the risk of seeming a bit intrusive, maybe you (the OP) could comment a bit on your background, experience, and plans so we'd have a better feel for what you have in mind? Also maybe describe roughly weather, locale, and access for the place so suggestions would be appropriate. We don't need to know specifics if you want to keep the actual location quiet -- but enough information to provide what meaningful guidance we can in a way that's most useful to you. Thanks and welcome to FT and the luxury hotel forum!

I design and develop large private estates(25k+ sq ft) around the world. My plans for the island aren't fully developed at this point, but I thought it might be a great idea to ask the well traveled members here for suggestions about what the experience should be. I'd love to provide more information, but just see this as an opportunity to have your suggestions taken into serious consideration.

Is it possible to attach photos to a post?

Here's a little information about the island:

The island is nearly 2 miles in diameter at its base. Its 305 meter summit is a massive truncated pyramid bounded on all sides by almost perpendicular cliffs up to 200 feet in height. The crest of the pyramid is some 40 acres in extent, and is generally flat, although pitted with holes and depressions from 6-30 feet deep, some of them filled with water. At its base there is in most places a wide belt of gently sloping land, standing not more that 25 feet (7.5m) above sea level. On the northern and eastern edges of the island the sea breaks against the limestone cliffs, which are deeply undercut; but elsewhere the island is circled by a broad fringing reef, which, off the western coast swings sharply away from the shore to enclose the lagoon. The precipitous sides of the central mass are scored by three shallow terraces, marking pauses in the uplift of the island; but these are not readily observed, being smothered under the dense vegetation that clothes the whole towering structure.

Weather: It has an average temperature of 80, 65-70in of rainfall yearly.

Currently the only access to the island is by boat, in a 20km trip from a neighboring island. However there is a large flat limestone area on the eastern side of the island where a 2,000 metre 6,800 feet, large enough even to land a jumbo jet or private jet. Regular charter seaplanes and helicopter can readily be arranged to drop you right on the island.

Although there is no channel through the lagoon, smaller boats can access it at high tide, and the large rock promontory at the south of the island could be used for the location of a deep-water wharf where even the largest ships could dock. Visiting yachts are not allowed without permits, so even those most intrepid of world travelers have rarely been able to venture there. The difficulty of access, and the fact there are no major resorts in the area has kept the islands almost totally off the tourists radar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.